Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

America's Worst States to Live in 2017
Quote | Reply
From CNBC:

"Far be it from us to throw shade on your home sweet home, but the data does not lie. The Quality of Life category in our annual America's Top States for Business study ranks all 50 states on overall livability based on metrics, including crime rate, attractions, air quality, health and health care and legal protections against discrimination. Quality of Life is worth a possible 300 out of 2,500 total points in the study, based on the Top States methodology and sources. Journey with us now through this year's Top States hall of shame — the 10 bottom states for quality of life."

10. Kentucky
9. (tie) New Mexico
9. (tie) Tennessee
7. Mississippi
6. Indiana
5. Missouri
4. Arkansas
3. Oklahoma
2. Louisiana
1. Alabama


I'm just relieved that Michigan stayed out of the Bottom 10. ;-)


America’s 10 worst states to live in 2017
Last edited by: big kahuna: Jul 16, 17 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: America's Worst States to Live in 2017 [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
From CNBC:

"Far be it from us to throw shade on your home sweet home, but the data does not lie. The Quality of Life category in our annual America's Top States for Business study ranks all 50 states on overall livability based on metrics, including crime rate, attractions, air quality, health and health care and legal protections against discrimination. Quality of Life is worth a possible 300 out of 2,500 total points in the study, based on the Top States methodology and sources. Journey with us now through this year's Top States hall of shame — the 10 bottom states for quality of life."

10. Kentucky
9. (tie) New Mexico
9. (tie) Tennessee
7. Mississippi
6. Indiana
5. Missouri
4. Arkansas
3. Oklahoma
2. Louisiana
1. Alabama


I'm just relieved that Michigan stayed out of the Bottom 10. ;-)


America’s 10 worst states to live in 2017

Coming from CNBC - not a surprise. Places like CT, NY, NJ CA, MA have much higher taxes, a lot more regulations, more congestion on the roads, etc.

Yes you make a lot more money, but spend a lot more time making it and things cost a lot more as well.

The 10 cities listed are great places for middle class.
Quote Reply
Re: America's Worst States to Live in 2017 [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Places like CT, NY, NJ CA, MA have much higher taxes

Define "much higher." MA tax rate is 5.8%. TN is 6%. There are 3 other southern states with max rates higher than 5.8%. Our property taxes are high but we care about education.

more congestion on the roads

I ride on roads that are nearly empty and the traffic that exists is polite. Is traffic polite towards cyclists in the bottom 10 states?

I agree things are more expensive in the states you listed but as you said, incomes are higher. If you look at average weekly work hours by state, there isn't much difference nation-wide.


a lot more regulations


Are the states you listed not successful because of regulations and do they have high unemployment rates? I'm pretty sure all of the states you listed have unemployment rates lower than all of the bottom-10 states listed in the article. Which regulations don't you like?

Coming from CNBC - not a surprise
If you are going to slam the source, you should explain what you don't like about the methodology.
Quote Reply
Re: America's Worst States to Live in 2017 [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That can't be valid, Mississippi isn't ranked #50 like in every other one of these sorts of things.
Quote Reply
Re: America's Worst States to Live in 2017 [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
Places like CT, NY, NJ CA, MA have much higher taxes

Define "much higher." MA tax rate is 5.8%. TN is 6%. There are 3 other southern states with max rates higher than 5.8%. Our property taxes are high but we care about education.

2 house - one in CT one in Alabama - both are valued relatively similar.

CT house is 1/4 the square footage as Alabama. both in very nice neighborhoods.

Tax on CT house is 8k, tax in AL is 2k.

That is much higher in my opinion.

more congestion on the roads

I ride on roads that are nearly empty and the traffic that exists is polite. Is traffic polite towards cyclists in the bottom 10 states?

I agree things are more expensive in the states you listed but as you said, incomes are higher. If you look at average weekly work hours by state, there isn't much difference nation-wide.


Take hours worked plus commute and it add up. Side streets where you ride - ok.I was not referring to that.

Highways - much different story

When I was working in Little Rock - they had Rush minute any day of the week. Thursday or Friday from NYC to CT will take hours.

a lot more regulations


Are the states you listed not successful because of regulations and do they have high unemployment rates? I'm pretty sure all of the states you listed have unemployment rates lower than all of the bottom-10 states listed in the article. Which regulations don't you like?

Try to buy a gun with an 11 round magazine in CT and do the same in Alabama (replace CT for NY, NY, MA - replace Al for most of the other) - report back your luck

Coming from CNBC - not a surprise
If you are going to slam the source, you should explain what you don't like about the methodology.

CNBC does not always report the whole truth and you can pick any stats you want to make something look good or bad.
Quote Reply
Re: America's Worst States to Live in 2017 [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It always makes me scratch my head when low cost of living is figured into a best places to live calculation. That just goes against basic economics. Maybe best places to live for those who can't afford the places others are willing to pay more to live in.

As a mountain person I think Aspen would be the best place to live. I can't really swing that right now in the way I would like to- but that doesn't mean it's not still the best place. For beach people there's got to be some glitzy San Diego town that would be the best place if you can buy a $5m home. They never make the lists though.
Quote Reply
Re: America's Worst States to Live in 2017 [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
From CNBC:

"Far be it from us to throw shade on your home sweet home, but the data does not lie. The Quality of Life category in our annual America's Top States for Business study ranks all 50 states on overall livability based on metrics, including crime rate, attractions, air quality, health and health care and legal protections against discrimination. Quality of Life is worth a possible 300 out of 2,500 total points in the study, based on the Top States methodology and sources. Journey with us now through this year's Top States hall of shame — the 10 bottom states for quality of life."

10. Kentucky
9. (tie) New Mexico
9. (tie) Tennessee
7. Mississippi
6. Indiana
5. Missouri
4. Arkansas
3. Oklahoma
2. Louisiana
1. Alabama


I'm just relieved that Michigan stayed out of the Bottom 10. ;-)


America’s 10 worst states to live in 2017

Coming from CNBC - not a surprise. Places like CT, NY, NJ CA, MA have much higher taxes, a lot more regulations, more congestion on the roads, etc.

Yes you make a lot more money, but spend a lot more time making it and things cost a lot more as well.

The 10 cities listed are great places for middle class.

Those things aren't factored into this "quality of life" component.
Quote Reply
Re: America's Worst States to Live in 2017 [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:


I'm just relieved that Michigan stayed out of the Bottom 10. ;-)


Michigan is an outstanding place to live iff you stay out of the Southeast corner.
Quote Reply
Re: America's Worst States to Live in 2017 [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
big kahuna wrote:


I'm just relieved that Michigan stayed out of the Bottom 10. ;-)


Michigan is an outstanding place to live iff you stay out of the Southeast corner.

Which is exactly where I live. ;-)
Quote Reply