Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Resume services
Quote | Reply
Does it worth to pay for a professional resume service if you are have 8 to 10 years in experience with a lot of consulting work but want to move to a permanent position?
What can they offer?
Quote Reply
Re: Resume services [swimfan®] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it worth it?

First, ponder your signature.

Then, carefully re-read your post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankly, the vast majority of resume writing services are worthless at best. If you pick up virtually any edition of a magazine geared towards new businesses, they'll explain why resume writing services are one of the biggest crazes right now. Many people out of a job, many have no idea how to explain themselves - which make them an easy target for those willing to take money from them.

If you DO decide to utilize a resume writing service, you NEED to get references from them, look up those people independently (I actually had one joker who wanted to charge $700 for an "executive" resume provide me with a relative's email/phone number). Ask what their qualifications are - and I'd stay away from anyone who doesn't have any of the following relative fields (there may be some others that I have forgotten, but posters will alert you to these):

1. English majors
2. Marketing personnel
3. Journalism majors
4. Sales professionals (although they need to provide writing samples)

Anyone who sends you any type of bogus email stating "I apologize for being blunt, but see that your resume needs help" or something to that effect is a fraud. The key factor is the sentence apologizing for "being blunt" or "forward" or any facsimiler thereof :-) Also, make sure to call/email the contact on any "samples" they may send you. If you actually get through to someone, ask them if they approve of your information being sent out. I have busted probably 1/2 dozen or so "resume experts" doing this - which is extremely unprofessional (and demonstrates they exhibit no understanding of confidentiality).

One of the best approaches is to do a google search for resumes with professions similar to yours. You will find many sample resumes that you can probably modify to provide a more professional format for your resume. If you DO find someone with an expertise (and again, these are not the "certified" folks who have a difficult time writing a comprehensible sentice) in one of the above areas, they may definitely help you mold your information.

Never pay for anything until you see results as promised, and do you research prior to using someone. There are SOME very qualified people out there, but there is not really a need to use one.

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to offer to help you tighten up your resume for no charge (10 years recruiting / human resources), but then I realized that you would be disincented to do anything that would result in a Slowtwitcher knowing your true identity. So in response to your question, I'd suggest finding a friend (or friend of a friend) that has lots of HR/recruiting experience and get their input, rather than use a high volume type resume service. Offer to get your friend lunch or something in return. Surely you know someone. Someone who's been doing this for a while would know how to present your background most effectively and what kind of information to volunteer that would help convince hiring authorities that you could successfully make the switch from the "wild and free world of consulting" to being tied to one company for the foreseeable future. That's the fear you'd have to overcome. That you won't play well with others in the corporate environment or that you'll get bored and want to move on after 3-6 months.

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, no.

Read this book for the reason....
http://www.amazon.com/...rarian/dp/0786865962

Sending a resume is like sending junk mail. No one reads them. Best to spend that time picking up the phone and hunting down the hiring manager to determine what they are really looking for and qualifying the opportunity.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Resume services [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well...

I've hired people after first screening out candidates using resumes.

And I know I've gotten a foot in the door with a resume as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Resume services [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I'm glad to hear your results....

Just like junk/direct mail, you're bound to find someone who sees value in the 1st piece they receive.

No better or worse..but the numbers games (for an applicant) is better when you take the time to qualify.
Quote Reply
Re: Resume services [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The numbers game requires a resume.

To make a triathlon analogy, your front skewer isn't going to win you the race, but if your front skewer is missing or damaged, you are screwed.

Same with a resume. At some point someone is going to look at it and if it's littered with errors/typos, you are kinda screwed.
Quote Reply
Re: Resume services [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit confused....please clarify.

If you're a professional worker, unemployed and you have 8 hours a day to spend looking for a job....are you suggesting that they play "the numbers game" and send a generic resume to each position that pops up?

Or...perhaps, are you saying they should do a lil extra work, determine the hiring criteria and then send a resume/cover letter which directly addresses the fact that they have the necessary skills to excel in the postion and achieve the results desired?
Quote Reply