Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Resume Critique
Quote | Reply
Young attorney seeking work in Va. Unfortunately, I had no control over my last job change, and I know that my short periods with each employer hurts me, so we can skip that critique.

Posted here in word format: http://filebox.vt.edu/...nes%20-%20Resume.doc

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Re: Resume Critique [stallion1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, whenever I work with people on their resumes, one key bit of advice I give them is to reframe what they've done so that it's more result-oriented. So instead of "bagged groceries" it would be "reduced grocery bagging time by 30%." In your case, with what you've done, think about the outcomes/results. They might be somewhat hard to quantify, but you can think about - did I help more cases get to a successful resolution? Did I bring more work in? New work or add-on? You advised on workers' comp and employment law - with what result? More billings/earnings/whatever?

I'd also put your job description as bullet points - will make it more readable. And you don't have to put everything you did - just the highlights. At least that would be my recommendation.

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Resume Critique [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the critique. My blurb on my previous employer is much more results oriented. Unfortunately, its not real easy to quantify what i've done as a consultant. Most of the work has been quick research on legal issues, drafting motions, reviewing documents and advising on the appropriate course of action based on the information in the documents, and covering depositions/mediations/etc. when someone at the firm can't cover it. Basically, I have been a dial-an-associate for these firms. The work hasn't been so much results oriented as much as it has been completing tasks that the firm doesn't have the time to cover or researching and advising on a particular legal issue. Add in that it takes months before we may know how accurate/effective my advice has been, I can't exactly say that I've produced any results other than that i have made these firms happy with my services.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply