Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for advice
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm looking for ideas on what to do. Running low on ideas and motivation.

I graduated in May '08 with a BS in Mech Engineering (minor in env science), took the summer off racing, climbing, hiking, etc. Had some initial results getting interviews, however that has declined steadily over time. Looking to get into the green building design/HVAC field, however I don't currently have applicable experience and entry level jobs have been scarce. I've been working on teaching myself HVAC as it wasn't a part of my BSME program, but its hard to motivate myself without a definitive objective.

More recently (august) I moved out of boston and back to NJ to live with my parents for a bit. I've since been going insane, due to lack of climbing, skiing and a social life. Definitely need to do something and the longer it goes on the harder it is to do anything. Became somewhat of a confidence sapping cycle.

In any case, would love to hear ideas for getting my foot in the door. Or any other general advice.

Thanks, and sorry for the rambling nature of the post.

~Alex Wilson

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for advice [Alaric83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'll start this off as I know nothing about the HVAC industry.

This is what I recommend:
1. There must be some local HVAC association where you can network.

2. Just drop by some local HVAC companies and ask if there are any openings. And if there are not, ask if you can do a free internship with them. Don't call them, make a personal visit and talk to the manager or supervisor or owner.

3.Make sure you have some business cards. Since you don't have a job, just write something like:
John Doe
Mechanical Enginnering
Parent's address or PO box (they are cheap, like $5 a month)
contact phone number

4. Call your school career office and tell them the situation. See what they can do for you even if you are in a different state.

5. Join your alumni linkedin or association and see what people you talk to.

6. Join some HVAC forums and start writing and chatting.

See, the whole thing with finding jobs is to get yourself out there. Not only will be increase the likelihood of meeting someone, you will also feel productive and improve your networking and speaking skills. You will also meet people in other industries which can lead to other opportunities.

It's so easy in our day of technology and internet to hide behind computer screens and interact only through email and forums. But it's way more productive, at least from experience, to do the ole face to face networking with business cards.

Good luck.

_______

This post is not legal advice and is for informational purposes only.
Last edited by: im_dreamcrusher: Dec 3, 09 12:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the previous poster re: working with your school.

And you know - the usual spade work - Monster, Craigs, resume mailing, calling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might try looking into getting LEED certification. If you are looking to go in the green direction for your career, that will be an attention getting for potential employers. And it will give you something to work towards in your free time in outside of job hunting.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for advice [BSUdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually,

I just got back from a LEED Green Associate (first level) exam prep course. Going to be scheduling the exam for it soon, right after christmas, hopefully.

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply