Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle/Demo Inventory
Quote | Reply
As a new, independent fitter, I've been thinking about how I can acquire a reasonable amount of saddle options for my fit sessions without investing too much. I'm not a shop, so I don't want to necessarily carry a large inventory, but I acknowledge the sales opportunity of helping my customer identify a comfortable saddle and being able to sell it to them as well.

I'd like to discuss the distinction that fitters make between demo saddles and those intended solely for sale. Specifically, do you as a fitter only utilize demo saddles during fittings, and only sell your customers the new-in-box version? Do you tape the rails on an inventory saddle and use it for fittings? Do you comfortable and ethically sell that saddle to your customer(assuming no visible signs of wear)?

My primary goal is to have a wide selection of saddles my customer can test, while they are already consuming my services, even if I do not have that saddle to sell them. My secondary goal is to be able to offer that saddle for sale if they so choose to purchase. Obviously I would like to do that with the lowest investment, while still abiding my customer expectation and dealer pricing guidelines.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle/Demo Inventory [carlwithac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always use demo models. I also use a clorox wipe on all components when setting up - if only for sanitary reasons it's good for clients to know that your stock saddles haven't been used.

I would recommend investing in some demo saddles - most major brands offer special/ugly ones at less than normal cost for demo. It is also good to write your name, or your business name, on the saddle. It is advertising for you when the client is out riding.

The client will 'buy' the demo saddle (it's a refundable deposit), if they leave your studio and ride it for real-world demo. This ensures that your demo comes back, or at worst, you can replace it. If he/she does love that saddle, then use their deposit to sell them what you have in stock (or order the right color).

Cobb has a very good program, as does Fizik and ISM. Yes, you could be investing several hundred dollars in demo and stock, but tailor your options to your client base.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most shops I've worked at do both. Standard demo saddled with special colors immediately next to the fit area on the wall and then stock saddles that you grab if customer has other preference or need. Like Anne said wipe me down after and always keep the header cards, they come in handy.

mikebikefit.com
Facebook: Cordova Bicycle Fitting
F.I.S.T Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a bit of both, I carry what I can, and what I can't I just buy and have on hand for people to demo.

I picked up my initial demo inventory off of e bay years ago. It takes a little while but you can get a nice collection together without breaking the bank.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started with about 12 of the most popular saddles for the clients I was fitting, investing in demos and ordering off those. It worked. Now I have over 40 actual demos and 60 different models. The danged things multiply!
I do charge a demo fee as it recoups some of the cost of demos and wear. But the credibility of having saddles, demo or not, is invaluable.

Brian Grasky
Grasky Endurance: World Championship Triathlon Coaching; Professional Training Camps
RETUL fitter, Biomechanist, USAT Level 3 Coach, USAC Level 2 Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started with demo saddles from ISM and Cobb, along with a few eBay items. Slowly but surely, I've accumulated a lot more saddles and find myself getting away from doing demo saddles and using "real" ones. My reasons for this are two-fold:

1. People like the convenience.
2. I was having a hard time getting them back (partly due to 1 above, since I am by appointment only and get pretty booked up).

I still keep only one, maybe 2 of each in stock, and if they want a different color, we'll have to wait for it. I also found that even though comfort is king when it comes to saddles, budget is still big for a lot of people. I found having a stock of saddles from affordable (WTB Comp series and Selle Royal are relatively affordable) on up is good.

Also, there are some great businesses that are willing to work with us independent fitters:

- Cobb is awesome to deal with. They are very active in supporting their dealers, and provide a lot of good information. If I can suggest getting one saddle from them, it's the Randee'. I can't keep them in stock.

- ISM Seat is also a pleasure to deal with. Nice test set options.

- Highway 2 for Fi'zi:k, Selle Royal, and Brooks. Honestly, I'd look at the Selle Royals before fi'zi:k, as they have a simpler lineup and are very similar in concept to the fi'zi:ks for a much lower price.

- Hawley USA for WTB, Selle Italia, Terry, and a few others. Hawley can set you up with a fitter account. WTB is a good option if you want to get some variety affordably. Look at the Rocket and Volt, as they come in 3 different widths with an MSRP of ~$40.

- Radsport USA for SQlab. SQlab has a lot of interesting concepts. I don't necessarily sell a lot of them, but Kenny at Radsport is great to work with and their fitting protocols are nicely dumbed down and relatively inexpensive tools.

- Chromag offers some good saddles that seem to end up in the top 3 or 4 every time, and are also affordable. Paul Swift turned me on to this brand.

Most of these will also help you get access to stems and other touch points (bar tape, MTB grips, etc.). Stuff that you might like having eventually.

It's not a cheap tool, but definitely consider getting a SwitchIt from BikeFit.

I don't know if that helps or not. I think I just helped you spend a lot of money. lol

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle/Demo Inventory [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, thanks to all of you for the great information and insight. I have been in touch with Cobb Cycling and pulled the trigger on the demo fleet. I've picked up a few saddles from ebay and the ST classifieds over the years for my personal use, so I should have a decent selection to start out with. I'm definitely going to look at getting some demo saddles for other brands once I get the ball rolling a little more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My key 4/5 models turn over fast enough that they never get to the stage of being demos.
Less popular ones I have Demos so only need to order when someone actually likes it.
Sitero and Tritone so unpopular that the first ones I got are still pristine (unlike ISM).
Helps to keep trying saddles during the fit until they're sure they like one to take out. Especially as most clients travel to see me - they prefer the convenience of not having to come back to swap saddles.

Selle Royale Seta is by far my most successful road saddle - provides good ischial support and cheap enough that no one ever cares about the cost. If I were to have one road and one tri in stock it would be Seta and ISM PN1.1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not carry demo saddles anymore -- just saddles for sale. I offer a return/exchange program instead.
Here's why:
1. In my experience there is no easy way to ask for the return of a demo saddle, and charging full-price for a (unreturned) demo saddle can promote bad customer relations in our competitive market.
2. It is likely that my customer will buy the least expensive saddle available (eBay/used), and try to install himself/herself. Not opposed to internet shopping, but the setup is rarely accurate -- regardless of the documentation.
3. In all cases the "demo-client" will require my aid when its time to mount the new saddle. This requires 1hr in addition to the included follow-up(s). Currently with >600-appointments each year its difficult to manage this extra time.
4. Demo saddles get more use and are therefore more "broken-in" than newer saddles. Sometimes setting the new saddle to the demo specifications is not satisfactory on the road, which means another visit.
5. John Cobb's saddle program is fantastic.
I should add that I have, but do not use saddle pressure technology for tri-saddle fitting -- not ideal for this application. Instead, I have Cobb's two posters for saddle selection taped to the wall in my changing room, with his saddles mounted around them. 80% of my non-Cobb tri-clients (the vast majority of my business) come in after changing with a saddle in his/her hand. Nearly the same % buy the Cobb.
CCB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up, ISM has new demo saddles "on the water". I was at the offices yesterday picking up some inventory and inquired. "Should" land at the end of the mon

Jeremy Quijano
Kona Swim Bike Run
Shop Manager
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Custom Frames @ Quijano Bike Co.
Quote Reply