Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by tigerpaws
Re: WTB: Used Speedplays [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully, you can find a pair of good used Speedplay cleats and pedals. But, just a heads up (you probably already know), Speedplay cleats and pedals (like all cleats and pedals) are consumable. I replace my Speedplay cleats every six months and pedals every year. I've tried to go longer and suffered knee damage because of it. Once the pedal platform starts to wear, knee damage will follow. Be extra careful using used pedals and cleats as it's very hard to tell how much life is left in them. Don't risk your pedaling happiness over a few extra bucks!
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: Used Speedplays [real_time] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wowsers you must walk on the ground a lot? Historically I have been good for 2 years at a minimum on my cleats. I think my original pair of X2's from the early 90's went a good 6 years? That first set of pedals didn't go back until like 2004 they were bombers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't say I've ever heard of this problem with their cleats wearing out that fast. I went 2 years on my last pair as well. Are you sure the knee damage was a result of the pedals? Bike fit would seem like more of a reason for injury than cleats wearing out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Walking on speedplay cleats shouldn't affect the life much, as the mating surface is enclosed. I am 100% certain that the knee(s) issue was pedal/cleat wear related.

I should have qualified my estimate. It is less a matter of time and more a matter of time spent riding. Perhaps I ride more than most.
Last edited by: real_time: May 28, 15 6:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a black zero stainless pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 sets of x2 stainless steel pedals if you want.
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: Used Speedplays [skwan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pics and price shipped would be great if you get a chance either here or to my messages please thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was just talking to a friend...he has some blue chromoly Zeros for sale for $55. I think he has the cleats but is missing one of the 4 bolt to 3 bolt adapter plates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
real_time wrote:
Walking on speedplay cleats shouldn't affect the life much, as the mating surface is enclosed. I am 100% certain that the knee(s) issue was pedal/cleat wear related.

I should have qualified my estimate. It is less a matter of time and more a matter of time spent riding. Perhaps I ride more than most.

Well as long as you are confident you solved the problem that is all that matters. I've been on Speedplays for right at 20 years and never once had an issue with knees. My biggest year ever would have been '97 when I did a shade over 14,000 miles in my last year of road racing. An average year would be no less than 7k? At least 2 years on a cleat set so 15k call it? You must be riding a shit ton! Truly the primary reason I don't mind buying used Speedplays is because they have held up so well for me.

Thanks for replies all found a pair all set.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: May 29, 15 7:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Yep.

Also, Speedplay recommends replacing cleats every 3k-5k miles.

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.zerofaqs

Last edited by: real_time: May 29, 15 16:24
Quote Reply