Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
No longer availabe...
Quote | Reply
Cyclists and triathletes have been making DIY disc wheel covers for years, nothing new
about that. This is a simplified way for you to make a good fitting disc wheel cover
in around 45 minutes. You really don't need a lot of DIY skill to get a nice result.

Here's the STers only deal. For $35 (that INCLUDES shipping within CONUS) I'm offering a
set of black ABS disc wheel covers. They are 24 X 24 inch squares ready for you to easily trim to fit, finish
and install onto your rear wheel.

Your 700c or 650c rim (clincher or tubular) needs to have an aero or semi aero profile.
A shallow box type rim such as the Mavic MA40 won't work well for this project. Most road bike wheels
that come stock on late model road and tri bikes will work fine.

The discs have the center hole already drilled (1.5 inches). If you have a Power Tap hub there's a
template included for you to easily mark and cut the hole a bit larger for a perfect fit onto
your Power Tap hub. Also there's a template to help you cut the valve stem hole.

Easy to follow instructions are included with color pics.

The ABS plastic discs are paintable. If you don't want a black disc you can create
something fun, wild or artistic.

To finish this disc wheel project you'll need several items you may already have around
the house or can easily buy at just about any hardware store. They include:

* Round trash can, laundry basket or similar object. You'll use this as a handy work stand.
* Scissors, X- acto knife or similar cutting tool.
* 3M Super 88 electrical tape.
* Duct tape or good packing tape.
* Double sided duct tape or carpet tape.

The weight for a pair of disc wheel covers trimmed to fit a Zipp 404 is 338 grams.

Sorry, CONUS shipping only.

I will be happy to answer any questions you may have here. Thanks
for reading.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Oct 24, 14 11:11
Quote Reply
Re: Availabe for purchase: DIY disc wheel cover kit....CHEAP & SIMPLE! [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump #1.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Availabe for purchase: DIY disc wheel cover kit....CHEAP & SIMPLE! [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the thickness of the plastic? Is it smooth or rough?
Quote Reply
Re: Availabe for purchase: DIY disc wheel cover kit....CHEAP & SIMPLE! [snobum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snobum wrote:
What's the thickness of the plastic? Is it smooth or rough?

The thickness is 0.030 mil. It is smooth on one side and textured on the other.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll try it out. What's your paypal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are they already 'dished' like wheelbuilder or do they have a seem from the centerpoint to the circumference?

edit: corrected autocorrect spelling
Last edited by: odin99: Oct 31, 13 7:15
Quote Reply
Re: Availabe for purchase: DIY disc wheel cover kit....CHEAP & SIMPLE! [odin99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The disc have a center hole drilled (1.5 inches) there is a slit cut from the center
hole to the end of the square. The slit is needed to allow the disc to "find" the
exact dish of the wheel.

Yes, there will be a seam when you finish the wheel cover but because the plastic
is thin (0.030) it is for the most part unnoticeable from a few feet. I just allow mine
to "overlap" but you can cut the overlap out and butt the disc together and
depending on how good of a DIYer you are it could be almost invisable.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Availabe for purchase: DIY disc wheel cover kit....CHEAP & SIMPLE! [jakemet85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakemet85 wrote:
I'll try it out. What's your paypal?

thanks, sent you a PM.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Availabe for purchase: DIY disc wheel cover kit....CHEAP & SIMPLE! [odin99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
odin99 wrote:
are they already 'dished' like wheelbuilder or do they have a seem from the centerpoint to the circumstance?

just to be clear this is a DIY project, not hard at all but when they arrive to you they are
merely two 24X24 inch squares of flat plastic. They have a center hole drilled and a slit
cut from the center to the edge. You will have instructions on how to quickly and
easily use your wheel to know where to trim. It sounds more complicated than it is.

Anyone should be able to do it in around 45 minutes.

do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Oct 31, 13 7:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got it! my reading comprehension isn't great before my morning coffee. sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how do the 2 pieces hold together? glue/adhesive/brads/buckles?
Quote Reply
Re: Availabe for purchase: DIY disc wheel cover kit....CHEAP & SIMPLE! [jakemet85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakemet85 wrote:
how do the 2 pieces hold together? glue/adhesive/brads/buckles?

Double sided duct tape on one side (non drive) and taping the spokes to the inside of the disc on
the other side. Also you'll use 3M Super 88 electrical tape around the perimeter of the
disc and rim.

None of the above mentioned supplies are included I should add. If you have none of these
supplies it'd probably cost you around $12.

Edited to add: Tonight I'll post a few pics with some descriptions regarding the "how to" aspect on the FB page of my
disc wheel cover. It's called AeroSavvy U-Disc. You can take a look and see if this is something you might want to do.

do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Oct 31, 13 8:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using bump #2 to post a link to my DIY disc wheel cover's FB page.

Here you will be able to see several pics of the first few steps and how simple it is to quickly make a disc.

Thanks for reading.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/156008384601570/

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump #3.

For anyone who may be interested I'll sell them a 24"X48" sheet of light
0.030mm ABS plastic, black only.

This material is smooth on one side and textured on the other side. It is significantly
lighter than 0.040mm ABS plastic yet still fairly ridgid.

Using this material you can work your own magic and create a lightweight DIY wheel cover.
Cost on this including CONUS shipping will be $28.

Of course you can still purchase the "kit" deal for $35 shipped to you, CONUS only.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm missing something, but why not offer an option for the customer to supply their wheel dimensions and cut it for them? Then provide all the materials necessary to install it? Even if the total cost is $50, that's still half wheelbuilder.com's aerojacket.

Rick
Quote Reply
Re: Availabe for purchase: DIY disc wheel cover kit....CHEAP & SIMPLE! [rdbfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your question.

The method I show using your wheel to trace and cut the disc is not
hard at all. It may not be absolutely perfect but when it's finished
it's hard to tell and should look pretty good from a few feet away.

Also I really don't have the time to do that. I would rather
provide people the means to create their own disc
in a DIY fashion.

I think there's enough DIYers out there that there'll be a small
market for this.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the Christmas spirit and I'm also cleaning out my garage. I have some 24"X48" sheets of ABS plastic that is 0.040 in thickness.
I have no use for this material since I've decided to use only 0.030 for the disc wheel covers I'm selling.

If you want to make a DIY disc wheel cover and do something nice for your local toy drive here's the deal. Purchase a new toy
for at least $10 take it to your local "Toys For Tots" (or similar) drop off center, let me know and I'll send you one of these
sheets. It's big enough for you to make a disc wheel cover.

I'm sure no STer would stiff a local toy drive organization for a piece of plastic, there would be all kinds of bad Karma for doing that.
I will pay the shipping so there is nothing you'll pay to me, just help out your local community. I think I have 10 of these sheets, first come, first served.
CONUS shipping only.

Does this count as a bump?

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm riding a local Toy Drive for Tots group ride this Sunday does that count? Yes I will be donating to the cause!
Quote Reply
Re: Availabe for purchase: DIY disc wheel cover kit....CHEAP & SIMPLE! [rferic18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a sheet of this plastic so you can
make a DIY wheel cover.

Thanks, Paul

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For install on the drive side, would i still need to remove the cassette or is the plastic flexible enough with the slit to just maneuver into place... then tape accordingly?
Quote Reply
Re: Availabe for purchase: DIY disc wheel cover kit....CHEAP & SIMPLE! [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always removed the cassette. I do this mainly because it's easy for me to take the
tools that I have handy and take it off. However the plastic would be flexible enough to
maneuver into place like you have in mind.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pattersonpaul,

Thank you for your contribution to the community. I am interested. Since the holes are already pre-cut, do you know if these will work with Flocycling hubs
Quote Reply
Re: Availabe for purchase: DIY disc wheel cover kit....CHEAP & SIMPLE! [NewbieTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NewbieTriGuy wrote:
Pattersonpaul,

Thank you for your contribution to the community. I am interested. Since the holes are already pre-cut, do you know if these will work with Flocycling hubs

If you are referring to the deal where I'll send STers a sheet of ABS plastic in exchange for them buying a $10 toy for a child in need at Christmas then
there are no holes cut. It's just a sheet of plastic for ppl to play around with and come up with their own disc cover.

However if you are referring to disc wheel kit that I'm SELLING for $35 then there are holes cut. I have never seen a Flocycling hub upclose
but I have to believe it's in line with industry standards. The center hole cut on the discs that I sale are 1.5 inches. There is also a template to
cut the center hole a bit larger to be used with ppl that have a Power Tap.

I hope this answers your question, thanks

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM Sent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like one! PM Sent.
Quote Reply

Prev Next