Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My Stolen Bike Being Sold Online
Quote | Reply
Hey Team,

Need some advice.

My Cervelo P3 with Zipp rear wheel and quarq power meter was stolen from my apartment in Philadelphia 4 years ago. The thief literally tore a whole in my apartment wall to get it. I reported it to the police.

It is on sale online! I called the police but they can't do anything about it because I can't prove who stole it and that it did not change hands. I also do not have the serial #. I live in CA now so can't deal with this personally and I don't want to get any friends involved.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

-Carlos

Ps. It is for sure my bike. It has the same components, Cobb saddle, stickers, and even the bar tape is the same!
Last edited by: Carlosh53: Dec 10, 16 15:53
Quote Reply
Re: My Stolen Bike Being Sold Online [Carlosh53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The police can still charge with receiving stolen goods. I would bet the seller has a record already. Where was it stolen and where is it being sold? Feel free to pm me.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: My Stolen Bike Being Sold Online [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the seller did purchase it from the person who stole it, they should be able to provide you with info from the person they purchased it from.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The current seller has probably taken the serial number off, and it would be extremely difficult to verify it was your bike. Regardless, if you filed insurance and were paid, just drop it. It doesn't matter anymore. Or notify your insurance company, since technically the bike belongs to them now.
Last edited by: NealH: Dec 10, 16 17:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't matter if the bike changed hands, it's still stolen property.

If you can show it's yours (photos of the unique setup), the cops should at least be able to retrieve the stolen property.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were me, I would fly out there and tell the seller you want to take it for a test ride and then ride off into the sunset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's actually a really weird situation to be in. I bought a stolen bike a few years ago off of Craigslist. It was like a one of a kind custom frame, so they guy knew it was his and provided all the measurements and build sheets(like down to ceramic bearings in the wheels or something crazy like that). When I was contacted, the police told me that they couldn't take it from me and back to him if he didn't have matching serial numbers or concrete proof and that it's also harder when it crosses state lines(mine was from SC and I'm in GA). Just throwing it out there if you are serious about recovering it.
Quote Reply
Re: My Stolen Bike Being Sold Online [bthomas515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all you have to do is get him to admit to stealing it ( unless he bought it stolen).

Quote Reply