Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hooker Brakes - a pair of them
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Hooker brakes that I have used for the last few years. Now that I am using the Hed Jet+ wheels though I can no longer use these brakes - the rims are just too wide for them - well, you could shave the brake pads down to 2mm thick and that might work but that's too much work for me. I have used them with Hed3 wheels and also with Hed Jet (23mm wide rims) with great success.

To the best of my knowledge there are at least 3 versions of the Hooker brakes out there and with each design iteration the brakes improved. The 1st version (Aero) had a short pad length, the 2nd version (Aero SL) takes a standard Shimano brake pad. The 3rd version (also Aero SL) looks identical to the 2nd version until you take the back cover plate off. The internal mechanism is different and the braking power is MUCH better than the earlier 2 versions. One of these is the 2nd version and the other is the 3rd version. As a front brake, the 2nd version is good for a TT bike on a course that doesn't require a lot of braking. As a rear brake is works great for any application. The 3rd version brake has good stopping power - comparable to lightweight brakes out there such as the old Zero Gravity brakes. The stopping power is good enough for a road bike application in all conditions except for steep twisty descents. I have used these brakes on my Cervelo SLC-SL road bike for over 5 years and they have been great for criteriums, road races, and time trials. Right now they are mounted to my Cervelo P3C.

For the last 8 years I have watched Hooker brakes come and go on eBay and this forum and I have only seen 1 other 3rd version Hooker brake. All of the others have been version 1 or 2.

If you are using rims that are 23mm wide or narrower then these are absolutely the fastest brakes available.

Version 3, $350 shipped worldwide
Version 2, $300 shipped worldwide
or $600 for the pair.

I can get other photos up during the week when I get to my office.

Last edited by: pritchet74: Jul 4, 15 14:34
Quote Reply