Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Free - Rolf Vector 700c wheelset - some conditions
Quote | Reply
Edited:

Alright, ST: let's do this.

I received the following message from user Iknoweverything:

I'm in the USCG and we have a young flight mechanic (AET3 Sean ******) at our air station who has really gotten bitten by the cycling bug - around the same time he started looking into bikes though, he and his wife found out she was pregnant and so the expenses had to be tapered off. I was fairly stoked to see how pumped up about riding he was, so I started the ball rolling and gave him my road frame for free (a carbon RTS frame I had listed for sale on here) - so he's got that as a starting point. I know he'd be pumped to get another piece to the puzzle, as wheels can get pricey.

Now, the catch is that we're stationed in North Bend, Oregon - and I know you said Houston only. If you're willing to pack the wheels up though, I will pay for the shipping. If you're worried about not being able to meet the person to verify whether they really need it or not - I can always have you ship it to him at our unit, if need be.

Here's the deal - I'm going to send Sean the wheels/tires/cogset below. I've talked with Iknoweverything, and he's got some other bits that Sean needs. If someone can pitch in a rear derailleur, I'll also send Sean a set of 105 breaks - because why the hell not? USCG? New baby? Excited about cycling? Yeah, I'll support that with free wheels - and with your help, some breaks, too!

He's not asking for it, so let's give it to him!

Any takers? Let's get this guy on a bike!

Hi all,

I have a pair of 700c Rolf Vector wheels in good shape considering the number of miles on them (thousands and thousands). Wheels are true.

I'm giving them away for free in the Houston area. I will not ship them.

The conditions are that the wheels must go to someone who is just getting into the sport and trying to get gear together to start riding.

These came from a Lemond Alpe d'Huez (aluminum) from 2002 (was maybe a 2001 model). I saved for a long time back then to get a shiny new bike, and can still remember the enthusiasm and excitement of finally being able to ride.

I see no reason to sell these when I'm certain there are young folks looking for gear to put together a bike or need a new wheel after a wreck. Years ago, I would have been completely stoked to get a pair of wheels to match to a frame set, so hopefully there are some people in this community who want to do the same.

What I've got here is the wheel set, a 9 speed dura ace cog set, tires (armadillos) and tubes - no skewers.

Given that I want to make sure these go to someone who legitimately is trying to piece together a bike vs someone who just wants more gear laying around, I'll only give these to someone with a history on ST (no new posters or members) as I trust that a long-time ST member won't aim to profit the $40 or whatever this gear is "worth." Let's hook someone up here with some stuff.

So, let me know if you want them for someone, and tell me the story about who the wheels will go to. At my discretion I will pick the first Houston-based person who has a good enough story and we'll get these wheels out of my hands and into yours.

Last edited by: Train: Jul 21, 14 15:11
Quote Reply
Re: Free - Rolf Vector 700c wheelset - some conditions [Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool of you. I trained for my first half on a free bike, now I'm still in the sport and it's all thanks to people paying it forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Epic bump. See original post!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heck yeah, Coastie triathlete, say no more. What else does he need?

Ex Race Director, put out of business by the Rona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot Train! Very cool of you to help Sean out - he has no idea any of this is coming his way.

I've got a saddle I can give him, as well as a handlebar and a set of Dura Ace 7700 (ie. early 10 speed) shifters. A handful of stems as well - not sure exactly what size he needs, but I probably should have at least one that might work.

I think he would still need a crank and front derailleur (braze on for the frame).

Re: Free - Rolf Vector 700c wheelset - some conditions [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7700 is 9 speed I thought
Quote Reply
Re: Free - Rolf Vector 700c wheelset - some conditions [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are probably correct - they are definitely 10 speed shifters (they were on my CX bike for two years), and they're the first generation DA 10 spd shifters.

Re: Free - Rolf Vector 700c wheelset - some conditions [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aha, 7800 was first gen 10 speed...irrelevant detail
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you put together a bullet-pointed list of the major bits that are needed and post it here? It occurs to me that might help the community quickly respond with whatever they have.

For example
  • Wheels - Train
  • Frame - Iknoweverything
  • Saddle - Iknoweverything
  • Seat post - Iknoweverything
  • Breakset - Train (if others contribute)
  • ???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 105 rear derailleur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What we currently have (thanks to those contributing!)
  • Wheels - Train
  • Frame/Seatpost/Headset - Iknoweverything
  • Shifters - Iknoweverything
  • Brakeset - Train
  • Rear derailleur - tri2du

What we currently need

• Front derailleur
  • Crankset
  • Chain/cables
  • 10 speed cassette (Train offered his 9 speed but my shifters are 10 spd)

Re: Free - Rolf Vector 700c wheelset - some conditions [tri2du] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Added you to the list thanks!

Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
  • Wheels - Train
  • Brakeset - Train

What we currently need

• Front derailleur
  • Crankset
  • Chain/cables

I have a FSA 10 spd crank pulled off a 2012 P2. 170 I'm guessing I'd have a speedometer as well ( I know I have 2 or 3 sitting around, but whether I can find both pieces transmitter/receiver) Let me know if interested. Would be shipping from Houston.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an old shimano bio-pace square-taper crankset that likely still has a lot of life in it, but I won't be able to get to it until the end of August because it's at storage at my school's location. Let me know if you'd be interested!

Thanks,
Nick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of spd 105 pedals I'd be happy to donate and maybe a vision bb30 172.5 52+38 I also have a 12/25 105 cassette
Quote Reply
Re: Free - Rolf Vector 700c wheelset - some conditions [randymessman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bahahaha! This is awesome. What started with some free wheels in Houston has basically become building a guy a bike in Oregon. Slowtwitch cracks me up for at least a dozen reasons.

Okay, it looks like some other folks have committed some gear, so as agreed, I'm pitching in a set of 105 breaks in pretty great condition. So, IKnowEverything, PM me the address you want this gear shipped to, and update the posting of what you've got and what you need. Again, note that I won't send the 9-speed cog set since your shifters are 10sp, so in terms of wheel "stuff," you'll need skewers and cogs (the tubes/tires in the wheels are fine.)

Other folks who are contributing, can you get your stuff shipped out on Saturday, too?

Obviously, once things are shipped we've really got no bargaining chip, but it would pretty cool (IMO) if, once Sean's bike is built up (and let's try to get that done ASAP), if we could get some pictures of the "2014 Slowtwitch Group Build-a-Bike" posted on here. Bonus points if, as a flight mechanic, he gets pics of the bike with jets or helis. Let's face it, we all like gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Coastie? I think I have a 10 speed BARELY used chain for them.... (just upgraded to 11...)

PM me and we can work it out over the .mil network. Matt, if you are IKnowEverything, facebook will work too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any spare parts but I'll throw in some tubes. PM me an address and I'll ship them Friday or Saturday. Do you know his shoe size? I have a pair of 43 Pearl Izumi and 43 Mavic cycling shoes I can donate. Both pairs are in good condition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need the address. What is the bottom bracket? The crank is a bb30. Also do you need the cassette too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train wrote:

Obviously, once things are shipped we've really got no bargaining chip, but it would pretty cool (IMO) if, once Sean's bike is built up (and let's try to get that done ASAP), if we could get some pictures of the "2014 Slowtwitch Group Build-a-Bike" posted on here. Bonus points if, as a flight mechanic, he gets pics of the bike with jets or helis. Let's face it, we all like gear.

I think this is an awesome idea. Good on you guys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iknoweverything: what happened? Where are we with this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
  • Wheels - Train
  • Brakeset - Train

What we currently need

• Front derailleur
  • Crankset
  • Chain/cables

I've got a Tiagra Front Derailleur 2X10
I believe I can scare up a 105 chain 10 speed type

PM me an address.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry everyone - I missed a couple of the thread updates and was gone for a few days. But I'm back! I'll update the list here and start PMing info.

But THANK YOU everyone! If you look at the look below, we have a complete bike! Sean is going to be pretty psyched. I'll be able to help him get everything built up and I'll make sure we post a ton of pictures when it's done!

• Wheels - Train
  • Brakeset - Train
  • FSA Crankset - tdhtri
  • Cassette -randymessman
  • Pedals - randymessman
  • Chain - pburnett
  • Tubes - one-k
  • Front derailleur - danielg

What we currently need

• nothing!!

Quote | Reply
Can I get an update folks?

Iknoweverything: I got your PM with the address and will get the breaks in the mail today (hopefully the wheels, too, but need to talk with a local shop to figure out how to ship them). Looks like we're sending stuff directly to Sean. If you haven't told Sean about this yet, it will be funny to act like nothing is out of the ordinary and see how long it takes for him to tell you, "hey, man; something really weird is going on..."

Other participating members: Huge thanks for contributing to this! For some reason I find it both funny and awesome that some guy is just going to start getting bike parts in the mail from various people he doesn't know. Did you get the shipping info from Iknoweverything, too; and can you give us an update on your plans to get your contribution sent out?

Thanks to everyone for pitching in parts for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shipped a saddle and tubes yesterday. Shoes will ship separately if they are his size.
Quote Reply

Prev Next