Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
First Bad Experience in Classifieds
Quote | Reply
So I come to an agreement with biplrsaba for which I will receive a set of cranks in "Excellent" condition. Trade value = $200. This is probably where I went wrong when I took his words and a couple of blurry photos. To my dismay I open a package with grease all over it, unveiling chainrings that had its coating come off, pain chips, and rust in areas of the crank. I'd be generous to give this a 6/10 while "Excellent' deems a 9/10 easily. This is a part that would find itself in the bottom of my junk pile.

All that after I received threats from the guy saying he'll contact local authorities, ST admins, legal action etc etc if I don't hold my end of the deal. A lot of nerve for someone who hasn't sent out his package himself. Endless warnings about not getting his product when the tracking number I gave him was not in the system yet. Basically clueless of the fact that tracking info doesnt show in the system immediately. Spent half the day pacifying him, providing all assurance short of delivering the product myself. In the end he gets his package overnight, as promised, condition as described. I'm left with a barrage of threats, unanswered messages and a POS product.

Bottomline, be careful who you deal with. I've had the pleasure of closing good deals here until now. Always cover your ass and watch out for warnings about the other person. Let's keep ST Classifieds a good place of business.

Pics Below:

Last edited by: MSantos: Feb 6, 12 17:05
Quote Reply
Re: First Bad Experience in Classifieds [MSantos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the guy has 61 posts. i feel much better buying from someone who posts frequently on slowtwitch, not just pandering their goods to avoid ebay fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be curious to see pics of the cranks just for the heck of it. If not no biggie, but it would be interesting to see what '$200 trade value' is in one man's eyes vs anothers;) At the very least it lets us know who to mark off our potential classifieds dealings, thanks for that.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Feb 6, 12 10:22
Quote Reply
Re: First Bad Experience in Classifieds [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant to include photos but didn't get the chance yet. I just might. Regardless, it's not what was expected based on how it was described. It wouldn't be half bad without the threats I received. Little did I know I should be the one worrying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you happen to ask him what his definition of "Excellent" meant? I bought something on the classifieds with a few miles and when I finally needed it, I found something wrong with it and it would have been dangerous to use.

If my body isn't strong enough... I hope my wallet will be.
Quote Reply
Re: First Bad Experience in Classifieds [damnilocano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned the hard way that these descriptions are relative.m Cranks in excellent condition. "less than 750k as the crankset and bb were on a backup/Sunday bike"

Should have asked for more (detailed) photos. After a period of good experiences you tend to keep your guard down until it bites you in the ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MSantos wrote:

After a period of good experiences you tend to keep your guard down until it bites you in the ass.

Definitely... at least we know from now on.

If my body isn't strong enough... I hope my wallet will be.
Quote Reply
Re: First Bad Experience in Classifieds [damnilocano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few people will always mess it up for everyone else, good to know.

Thank you,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought something from this guy. I'll update this thread once my gear arrives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several Forums I'm on have a good trader / bad trader area for comments and remarks. You can even get blacklisted.
The site I can refer to is archerytalk.com.
As much traffic as ST gets, may not be a bad idea.
Craig
Quote Reply
Re: First Bad Experience in Classifieds [eclouis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a deal about to go through for a bike with a buyer that has 1 post. His only post was to the ad my bike is for sale in. I am nervous but he is verified on paypal and everything seems legit. Any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eclouis wrote:
Several Forums I'm on have a good trader / bad trader area for comments and remarks. You can even get blacklisted.
Craig

+1

it is called itrader I think

Take pictures before & once packed. Make sure you get insurance & tracking. Wait til money is transfered to bank acct. to ship.
Should reasonably cover you. I'd be much more concerned of a seller that just opened an acct. yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: First Bad Experience in Classifieds [jriegle04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriegle04 wrote:
I have a deal about to go through for a bike with a buyer that has 1 post. His only post was to the ad my bike is for sale in. I am nervous but he is verified on paypal and everything seems legit. Any recommendations?

ask anything you want about him, I am newbie here so some stupid people don´t answer me like the OP, others sell without problem, if he is paypal verified I don´t see any problem send to him a paypal invoice or ask him to send the money to your paypal verified address before sending the bike, once you have the money, send the bike

As a seller you're fine because you don't ship until you receive the funds. If he receives the product altered/different from how it was when you sent it that becomes a dispute, which is highly improbable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a P2 on here a few months ago. Everything was delivered as promised but i was definitely stressing out until that big box arrived and i was sure i just didn't send $1700 for nothing. One thing you can do is make sure that your paypal is linked to your credit first and not the bank. You might get stuck having to fork over an extra 2-3% to make the seller happy but at least you'd have piece of mind if you ever needed to dispute the charge. Luckily i've had nothing but good dealings on here both buying and selling.
Quote Reply
Re: First Bad Experience in Classifieds [jeff.ehret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was actually a trade. My stand and $50 for his cranks. I can take it to Paypal out of spite and principle but it's more important for me to send this message.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads-up. I dont come here too often, but I do recognize names and I am happy when people leave a "good seller" in the post after transaction.
I love this forum for being a gentlemens club with a few exceptions. Seems like you found one.
I will say though as a guy who treats his gear with borderline hysteric care that there's a difference in oppinion as to what "excellent condition" means. Hi-res images are the way to go.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused as to why you traded with a person who indicates his mental health in his name. BiPlrSaba= Bi polar.
Quote Reply
Re: First Bad Experience in Classifieds [WyoWill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that. Actually it manifested in the messages
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eclouis wrote:
Craig

I'm on Honda-Tech and they have a hugh list of the bad sellers and buyers that you needto be aware of before making a deal.

I think ST admins might want to look into something like this. Have it be an Admin that places names on the list after a buyer or seller sends them a grevience and admin checks it out. I would hate to see someone get listed when they shouldn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly, I had a VERY bad experience with him last summer. I posted "WTB: Black Radar Path Lens" and he replied saying he had one in brand new, never used, and in perfect condition. I too was sent a blurry photo, took a leap of faith (My actual words), and paid.

What I got was a Radar Path Lens, but it looked like it had been through hell and had what I can only imagine was he impact from a BB in the lens. I immediately emailed him and expressed my dismay. He blew me off. I then disputed the transaction via Paypal and he threatened legal action. In the Paypal dispute I used his actual emails and actual photos to make my case and he relented. Had I not been such a jackass, he may well have strung me along.

With this one you have to be aggressive or else he'll keep stringing you along.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: First Bad Experience in Classifieds [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
eclouis wrote:
Craig

I'm on Honda-Tech and they have a hugh list of the bad sellers and buyers that you needto be aware of before making a deal.

I think ST admins might want to look into something like this. Have it be an Admin that places names on the list after a buyer or seller sends them a grevience and admin checks it out. I would hate to see someone get listed when they shouldn't.

Agree. I use to buy/sell a lot of camera gear and hung out at a photography form (Fredmiranda.com). After each sale you are asked to post a feedback rating on the seller. Looks like this:
- You have to pay $25 per year to be a classified seller.
- Under your user name you get a generic sellers rating
- Click on the sellers rating and you get the details.
- Keeps everyone honest!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I treat everything as a used car and everybody as a used car salesman.

"It was only ridden to church on sunday morning by grandma."

A classic example of a few making a bad name for many.
Quote Reply
Re: First Bad Experience in Classifieds [shuke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My local craiglist ad I have reposted for all to see. Thing the that seems to be missed during my execution is that the word USED. as in excellent used condition. Also a take home from that ad is the 1000K of usage might be a clue on the condition of the cranks. This ad was sent to the buyer so he could look at the pics of the cranks before we agreed to the trade. I have reposted the listing from Craiglist so all are welcome to judge condition from the pics of the cranks so please judge for yourself. BTW these were my race cranks and I am loathe to think my personal mechanic would put his rep and my health on the line with suboptimal gear.

I have a ton of positive experiences as well as it seems now 2 bad. In my experience it seems the neg stuff also gets the town crier singing the loudest.

Finally this transaction is now a paypal dispute and I think appropriate that the mods keep this dispute between the 2 parties until the dispute is settled through paypal and not in jury of the internet.

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/2838133705
Campagnolo 10 speed Chorus crank , ultra torque, cranks arms are 172.5 53/39. Used on the second bike these cranks are 1 years old but have not been raced, crashed, and have at most about 1000K on the chainrings. Selling only as surplus in the cranks department. Please note this is the ultra torque version not square taper, external bottom bracket cups English are required and included in the asking price.

No cracks, rubs, nor scuffing.

Work in NW Washington DC. Redline metro meeting is possible

Cash locally or paypal accepted.

Price is firm and fair.
Quote Reply

Prev Next