Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FS: Specialized Shiv Tri Medium, 3T Ventus -17 degree, wheels, etc.
Quote | Reply
In pursuit of my own aero shootout (a number of years in the making, as I am a slow bastard when it comes to fabrication), I bought this Specialized Shiv Tri awhile back as kind of my "baseline". I've since only used it on the trainer, and never even bothered to finish the braking system since it doesn't get to play out on the road. I have since replaced it as my baseline frame with a Felt IA. Tough to say how much closer the Felt is to a P5 at low yaw, but the data I have seen says "quite a bit". It also performs at least as well out in the higher yaw territory as well, so I feel like it's the best comparator in the triathlon arena.

I'd honestly love to keep it in this configuration for my aero testing this summer at the UW wind tunnel, but 6 is enough (says my wife). Especially in this configuration, I don't think it's giving much up to the Felt, especially given the 25oz of fluid inside the frame.

I did score one TriRig Omega SV for the front, which I prefer compared to the Omega X which also fits, but does not flow into the frame nearly as cleanly as the original model. The bike has no rear brake currently, as I have not found a second SV. I can include a TRP if you want, but it's a crap brake.

Cobb seat not included. Look Pedals not included. Wheels are generic U shaped carbon with 25mm brake tracks built with the Pillar 1492 spokes that are their CX-Ray knockoff. Cuts a lot of weight off of the wheel set. Looking to get around $2k for everything. $1200 for the frame/fork/post/brake, $400 for the bars, $400 for the wheels. Something like that. Yes, that makes the components free if you buy the whole thing.

Here is a google plus gallery:

https://plus.google.com/.../6414893703663942865
Last edited by: chicanery: May 11, 17 21:40
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Specialized Shiv Tri, 3T Ventus -17 degree, wheels, etc. [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Size?
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Specialized Shiv Tri, 3T Ventus -17 degree, wheels, etc. [pedal-boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Genius. Thanks.

Medium.
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Specialized Shiv Tri, 3T Ventus -17 degree, wheels, etc. [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks looking for an xl
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chicanery, what state are you located in? From what I'm reading, you're asking $1.6k for the bike, ready-to-ride minus rear brake, wheels, pedals and seat?

Any additional info on the frame, year, model?
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Specialized Shiv Tri, 3T Ventus -17 degree, wheels, etc. [zinch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in Portland, OR.

Bike comes with a free riot.

Price sounds fine for the parts mentioned. I can't eat shipping at that price though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As she sits, 450mm reach to back of pads and 635mm of stack with 20mm of spacers.

Can only get below 615 by going with a different dust cap.
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Specialized Shiv Tri Medium, 3T Ventus -17 degree, wheels, etc. [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Specialized Shiv Tri Medium, 3T Ventus -17 degree, wheels, etc. [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What year is the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Specialized Shiv Tri Medium, 3T Ventus -17 degree, wheels, etc. [atomic153] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2013 I believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you sell just the Ventus bars?
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Specialized Shiv Tri Medium, 3T Ventus -17 degree, wheels, etc. [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do still have them, and for the right cause, I will sell them. So, tell me your tail of woe!

I'd really like to save them for a Ventum build that I am planning, but I also *really* want to put Magura RT6 brakes on it, so...not compatible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I can't say I have a tale of woe, but I was going to scrounge up some balls to try to incorporate those bars with my Magura MT8s using the converter. I've never seen it done so maybe you can help me break some new aero ground?
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Specialized Shiv Tri Medium, 3T Ventus -17 degree, wheels, etc. [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magura RT8 on a Cervelo P2?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, on a P5. I used to have Ventus on a P4 and loved them. Couldn't use them on my P5 because of hydraulic brakes but the converter gives me hope it could be possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, since you have some shielding in front of the head tube, and behind the stem, it might be possible to make something not that crappy.

However, every idea I have come up with for placement and direction of the conversion box has been bad.

So I am going to recommend that you try the Ventus 2 bars instead. I have them on my Dimond with Maguras, and they are exceptional.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What levers did you use with Ventus 2? The main thing that makes Ventus 1 fast is the tiny levers. Do you want to sell your bars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using the Magura levers currently, as you don't need the adapter, which I believe would be completely impossible to hide on most bikes. You could possibly route both cables on extremely short housing into the converter in front of the head tube, then out of the converter and directly into the front brake. If you have a 3D printer, you might be able to print a new "beard" that would be able to hide a majority of the atrocity. The routing is VERY fixed on the Ventus, so there is not much flexibility for the front brake at least.

While it's true that the Ventus benefited greatly from the low FA provided by the tiny levers and resulting ovalized hand holds (especially after you get away from 0 degrees), I think you would find that the Maguras are quite good as well. Care was definitely taken to reduce drag on that front.

If you want to run the Ventus 1, you really need to drop the Magura brakes and go with a Tririg Omega X. The front housing will be completely hidden, and the rear can be routed out the edge of the beard and into the top tube pretty easily.

But, having both bars (and also an Aduro, Tririg Alpha X, etc), and bikes with both brakes, I would just go with the Ventus 2.

Now it's true, I am anal retentive about this stuff, but if you're rocking a P5 you should be too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks for the info. The reality is that I don't have a huge appetite to make an expensive mistake trying to make the converter work. You are the first person I've talked to that even has used it so thanks for your insight. I'm a little peaved that for every step forward bikes make (like the P5) there are always some steps backwards (like inferior bars, levers etc, no lower frame mounted box etc). I'm always searching for the best of all worlds, but that can get crazy expensive fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that the Aduro is a less flexible bar than the Ventus that came before it. My understanding on the design reasoning was that 0 stack, and 5cm of stack were the two optimal quantities for the aerobar + arm interaction, and that the aero-matched spacers worked pretty well from a drag perspective. I used the Aduro on my Pearson (with Maguras), which I modified specifically to integrate that bar with no spacers, in the high-V mode. For this particular case, it's perfect.

The Ventus 2 bar is also perfect for the P5 though. I think you would be happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM sent on bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the bike still available?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Specialized Shiv Tri Medium, 3T Ventus -17 degree, wheels, etc. [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I decided not to sell. Thanks.
Quote Reply