Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NA
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Hed H3+ & Zipp 808 Firecrest *** $900 each *** [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pm sent
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Zipp 808 Firecrest *** $900 each *** [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas,
Is this a clincher or tubular?
Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
still available? thanks
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Zipp 808 Firecrest *** $900 each *** [bretriggin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you're selling a wheel second hand for $900 that I can currently buy brand new for well under $800. I'm honestly curious if this type of pricing normally works out for you...?
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Zipp 808 Firecrest *** $900 each *** [romulusmagnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
So you're selling a wheel second hand for $900 that I can currently buy brand new for well under $800. I'm honestly curious if this type of pricing normally works out for you...?

Can you point me to the place where you can get it for well under $800?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:

I'd love to see that too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please send link to this place, where they are sold for $800!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:

How RUDE romulusmagnus ! ! !
Most people would send a PM asking for clarification . . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:

How RUDE romulusmagnus ! ! !
Most people would send a PM asking for clarification . . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
romulusmagnus wrote:

Do folks here have the stomach for an academic comment? I'll try to walk a line that respects what appears to be an issue having to do with etiquette.

I could easily find online a new 808 FC front in the low $800s with free shipping, see probikekit (it was in stock when I searched just before posting).

However, selling price is only one factor here. The model year of the product, the seller, and post-purchase service, among other things, can also matter in value or making a choice or,in spirit, comparing price. In essence, as the saying goes, are apples being compared to apples.

The pbk listing description suggests that they are selling a 2014 model with the 188 v9. It is not clear whether the front hub is the 88 v7 or v8. Given that the "current" front hub is the 77, presumably being offered by Thomas, there is a difference right there that could impact value -- I am assuming that the 77 is better than the 88, although, as we know, the new model of something is not necessarily better than an older model of something.

In addition, pbk is overseas, and Thomas is in the States. Some people might not be confident that a purchase from overseas would go through as satisfactorily as one from the States; although, my understanding is that pbk is a reputable merchant. In addition, depending on how payment is made, there could be a 1-3% credit card exchange-rate fee when making a purchase from overseas. In addition, one cannot be certain of not paying duty were the wheel priced at $800 or less. So, there could possible be some duty due with such a purchase from pbk.

Also, if something were to go wrong with the wheel at some point after purchase and that would be covered under warranty/guarantee by Zipp service, it is not clear to me whether a wheel purchased from pbk and from Thomas would receive the same treatment/response from Zipp. Again, I don't whether Zipp would care in this case, but, my hunch is that buyers would be more confident when buying from a merchant in the States.

So, in the end, with all factors taken into consideration it may very well be the case that Thomas offers better value to a buyer.
Last edited by: Bostongarden: Jul 3, 16 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Zipp 808 Firecrest *** $900 each *** [Bostongarden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bostongarden wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
romulusmagnus wrote:

Do folks here have the stomach for an academic comment? I'll try to walk a line that respects what appears to be an issue having to do with etiquette.

I could easily find online a new 808 FC front in the low $800s with free shipping, see probikekit (it was in stock when I searched just before posting).

However, selling price is only one factor here. The model year of the product, the seller, and post-purchase service, among other things, can also matter in value or making a choice or,in spirit, comparing price. In essence, as the saying goes, are apples being compared to apples.

The pbk listing description suggests that they are selling a 2014 model with the 188 v9. It is not clear whether the front hub is the 88 v7 or v8. Given that the "current" front hub is the 77, presumably being offered by Thomas, there is a difference right there that could impact value -- I am assuming that the 77 is better than the 88, although, as we know, the new model of something is not necessarily better than an older model of something.

In addition, pbk is overseas, and Thomas is in the States. Some people might not be confident that a purchase from overseas would go through as satisfactorily as one from the States; although, my understanding is that pbk is a reputable merchant. In addition, depending on how payment is made, there could be a 1-3% credit card exchange-rate fee when making a purchase from overseas. In addition, one cannot be certain of not paying duty were the wheel priced at $800 or less. So, there could possible be some duty due with such a purchase from pbk.

Also, if something were to go wrong with the wheel at some point after purchase and that would be covered under warranty/guarantee by Zipp service, it is not clear to me whether a wheel purchased from pbk and from Thomas would receive the same treatment/response from Zipp. Again, I don't whether Zipp would care in this case, but, my hunch is that buyers would be more confident when buying from a merchant in the States.

So, in the end, with all factors taken into consideration it may very well be the case that Thomas offers better value to a buyer.

Thanks for the addition. He/she just likes to harass me, no biggie. Some more insight though, this wheel isn't even mine, I'm selling it for a friend and taking a commision, dropping the price isn't really going to affect my commision much. I myself just sold the fastest Zipp 808 Firecrest ever produced, it was the original 16/20spoke build with the light spokes. I was holding it until I found something better and I was anticipating getting an 808 NSW but it didn't end up happening. All good points about PBK, and PBK isn't even supposed to discount the wheel in the first place. From time-to-time I think Zipp allows some discounting to their dealers but not sure how that works. In addition, I listed this before the Brexit, the British Pound has since fallen by what, 20%?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: FS: New 2016 Zipp 808 Firecrest *** $800 *** [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: FS: New 2016 Zipp 808 Firecrest *** $800 *** [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironically, the 808s have now retreated in price and and are today nearly $950 on PBK with the best available discounts. But you would have to find a real whale of a grand fondo-going dentist to pay more than $800 for a second hand (even if new) 808 front, especially with those awful white logos. Not that those people can't be found on Slowtwitch, but you'd have better luck via the Tri N Sell It group on facegag. I routinely sell items there to Fred's and Jerry's for more than new UK pricing.

For the record, I find the above poster's monologue absurd. The idea that you are going to get better support from a classifieds transaction than you will from being the original owner via a retailer is patently ridiculous. Warranty doesn't transfer, so the second you have an issue with the wheel, Zipp is going to tell you to get lost.
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Zipp 808 Firecrest *** $900 each *** [Bostongarden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Etiquette...that's cute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thing...since you mention 808 NSWs, those are actually an an all time low vis a vis 808 FCs. It is $1032 for an NSW front right now. Pretty standout sale if you are in the market for just a front wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: FS: New 2016 Zipp 808 Firecrest *** $800 *** [romulusmagnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
Ironically, the 808s have now retreated in price and and are today nearly $950 on PBK with the best available discounts. But you would have to find a real whale of a grand fondo-going dentist to pay more than $800 for a second hand (even if new) 808 front, especially with those awful white logos. Not that those people can't be found on Slowtwitch, but you'd have better luck via the Tri N Sell It group on facegag. I routinely sell items there to Fred's and Jerry's for more than new UK pricing.

For the record, I find the above poster's monologue absurd. The idea that you are going to get better support from a classifieds transaction than you will from being the original owner via a retailer is patently ridiculous. Warranty doesn't transfer, so the second you have an issue with the wheel, Zipp is going to tell you to get lost.

Thanks for the rec on the Tri N Sell group. I have joined. It is proven very difficult to most wheels these days. The market is clearly over saturated.

Quote Reply