Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ethics for sale...
Quote | Reply
Dear Slowtwitch,
Please tell me if my thinking is out of line here. I just responded to an add here from someone who primarily posts on the classifieds for some new wheels/tires and a cassette and the asking price was 300 OBO. After two PMs between the seller and myself we agreed to 280 and I paid immediately via paypal. 20 minutes later he refunds my money saying he was offered 300 after I paid him his agreed upon price so he refunded me the money. If I were the seller, the buyer who purchased them would have lucked out at 280 as the deal was sealed, and the wheels would no longer have been available for a higher offer. What would you have done?
Thanks, Adam
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics for sale... [albush1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dear Slowtwitch,
Please tell me if my thinking is out of line here. I just responded to an add here from someone who primarily posts on the classifieds for some new wheels/tires and a cassette and the asking price was 300 OBO. After two PMs between the seller and myself we agreed to 280 and I paid immediately via paypal. 20 minutes later he refunds my money saying he was offered 300 after I paid him his agreed upon price so he refunded me the money. If I were the seller, the buyer who purchased them would have lucked out at 280 as the deal was sealed, and the wheels would no longer have been available for a higher offer. What would you have done?
Thanks, Adam

This does not surprise me. Many times I have "sold" items to later have the buyers back out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much you can do, but that's kind of lame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adam
I'm sorry to hear that you had that type of experience. That is bad business. He might be a new seller and doesn't see the benefits of a sense of honor. It's a shame. However don't let one bad apple ruin your experience here on slowtwitch as the community tends not to be that way. That being said, as a regular seller here, I do often have sellers back out of an agreement and not fully follow thru. I also get insulting offers for the high end product that I sell. This is not what has happen in your situation though.
I hope your next experience is more pleasant.
Take care.

My YouTube channel- https://www.youtube.com/ksquaredcycling
Time RXR Super Record | Cipollini Bond Campgnolo EPS | Specialized Shiv TT SWorks Super Record | Colnago C59 SR-EPS | Colnago EPS Super Record | Colnago Prestige Ui2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I don't buy as much here on ST and although I'd like to say different, I've rarely had a good experience buying here on ST.

The last straw was a crankset advertised as new that clearly wasn't by a seller who was a dipshit

I'm finding that in most cases its not worth the hassle to save a few bucks. I've had much better luck buying on ebay from reputable dealers when looking for a bargain. Unless its someone I've dealt with (not necessarily buying things) before here.

Bobby Jones

Last edited by: BobbyJones: Jul 12, 10 20:37
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics for sale... [BobbyJones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's unfortunate. I have had reel good luck buying off of ST.

"Sometimes you got to learn to hurt"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's bullshit and the person should have lived up to the deal that they made with you. Out them so they can learn a lesson for being a fucking douchebag over $20...

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics for sale... [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's bullshit and the person should have lived up to the deal that they made with you. Out them so they can learn a lesson for being a fucking douchebag over $20...

I think I will, but only because of his cocky response to me when I told him that it was "Poor business practice" to do such a thing. He said, "Dude, get over it." His ST name is sourpatchkid he did respond quickly at least, but...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its even worse since he has OBO on there and took your BO, then reneged on it.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a bad buyer experience on craigslist. Was going to buy an old specialized trispoke for $250. This was his asking price. I agreed to buy it for his asking price that evening.

He called me to say that someone else was willing to give him $300 for the wheel because it had a D/A hub (or some shit about the bearings), but he would still sell it to me for $300 because I made him the first offer. My response was... "no, I agreed to buy it at your asking price of $250. The 20 year old bearings should probably be replaced anyway".

... Well, I guess the other guy didn't want it either as he was still trying to sell it a few weeks later.
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics for sale... [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Had a bad buyer experience on craigslist. Was going to buy an old specialized trispoke for $250. This was his asking price. I agreed to buy it for his asking price that evening.

He called me to say that someone else was willing to give him $300 for the wheel because it had a D/A hub (or some shit about the bearings), but he would still sell it to me for $300 because I made him the first offer. My response was... "no, I agreed to buy it at your asking price of $250. The 20 year old bearings should probably be replaced anyway".

... Well, I guess the other guy didn't want it either as he was still trying to sell it a few weeks later.

Once you pay your money, the deal is done and the seller should honor it.

However, if someone lists something for a certain price and starts getting higher offers, I don't see anything wrong with taking a higher offer - I know I've been on both ends of deals like that many times as the buyer and the seller.

As for the guy complaining about low-ball offers--that really is annoying when someone offers you half your asking price (or LESS), but sometimes I see people trying to sell used stuff for prices more expensive that I can buy it new - and it's usually because they paid too much for it new.

Anyway, I love the ST classifieds and I've had several awesome experiences (knock on wood...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That stinks. I've purchased and sold a few things on here and have never had a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've actually only had pretty solid transactions with people on ST (most recently, a pretty huge one).

My only real advice is to check out the user's profile and posts beforehand. More posts = better. More time been here = better. More posts NOT on Classifieds = better.

This tool looks like he's on ST almost exclusively to sell his crap. Someone should send him a bag of farts. For free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dear Slowtwitch,
Thanks, Adam

Sue him for breach of contract.
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics for sale... [red_and_black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that's the risk you run when dealing with individuals vs establishments. Locked in pricing/return policies/warranties/guarantees just don't exist with most individuals.

In general I feel like once the money has been sent it's a done deal. If someone offers more before money is sent but after an agreed upon price I would still honor the first agreed upon price but I've had experiences where some have taken the higher price and it's understandable in my mind but not something I would do. I am true to my word.

I agree that the ST community is much better than most but it doesn't mean you don't have any questionable situations it just means you have fewer than you would on say craigslist. For me craigslist is a free for all. You never know if the items is really there, if it's going to stay or even what price it's going to sell for sometimes. Don't get me wrong I love it though I should have been a stock broker >.>

In my limited number of transactions I've only had one questionable issue concerning item description and that's not worth giving up on the opportunities I feel like this community offers.

Best of luck in future transactions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was a pretty crappy thing for SOURPATCHKID to pull. Of course with that username, can't say I'm surprised.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ername=sourpatchkid;

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2903723

Sellers can develop a reputation here on Slowtwitch.

*edit: Though the buyer Curtblaster also pulled a dirty, dirty tactic.
Last edited by: nickwhite: Jul 13, 10 8:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with both of you on this one. Yes, he did something objectionable and based on simple contract law, actionable. But, this is the slowtwitch classifieds site, not bestbuy, and we're talking a minor inconvenience (he didn't steal your money), so, yeah, get over it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least you got your money back. I have bought a few things off the classifieds. All have been good transactions except the first one. I bought a pair of 9-speed STI for like $95. I paid immediately but never received my shifters. I opened a dispute on PayPal and, after a lengthy "investigation," PayPal informed that I would not be getting my money back. Oh well. (A few weeks ago, my wife bought something off ebay for $37, paid with PayPal, and never received the item. We opened another dispute and got our money back. Go figure.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes it was a dick move. I have had nothing but good expierences here on ST classified. That is on everything I bought or traded here and it totals in the thousands.

Quote | Reply
Here's what I would do: send a paypal invoice to the "seller" for $280 just to see what he says...then, when you get a "hey, wtf?" message in your inbox you can offer him your lessons in manners...

A deal is a deal, and while money can get tight sometimes what's a man without his word...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would actually report this to slowman and see if he takes some action on this...they have terminated accounts for things like this before I believe. It undermines the credibility of the whole classified page to have people doing crap like this. I think it says in the rules that this is not an auction system that st has and that is basically what he did (but to an even higher douche bag level since the deal had been consumated).
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics for sale... [rhane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here's what I would do: send a paypal invoice to the "seller" for $280 just to see what he says...then, when you get a "hey, wtf?" message in your inbox you can offer him your lessons in manners...

A deal is a deal, and while money can get tight sometimes what's a man without his word...

A politician?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been on the forum long but I've had good experiences buying and selling on this forum.
I wouldn't let one A**hole ruin your experience here.
I do admit that I have much more trust here than on craigslist or even e-bay because you're dealing with a specific community of people (athletes) and I would think that to some degree we take care of each other.
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics for sale... [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

+1. If it makes you feel any better. This is likely the way this person lives their life and I bet they are also a blatant drafter.
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics for sale... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I bet they are also a blatant drafter.

HAHAHAHA *GRIN*
Quote Reply

Prev Next