Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Another BAD STer "Hilltopper93" BUYER BEWARE

Man I hate to keep perpetuating this new trend of bad ST members but here's my story. I agreed to buy a Giant Trinity Comp from Hilltopper93 in the second week of August. I paid him on 8/16 and STILL do not have a bike. Part of my problem is that I paid via paypal gift, which I never do and have no reason why I did this time, but nonetheless I did. After a week of me harassing him he finally sent me a tracking number which didn't work. I have had nothing but spotty correspondence from him since this began. (He was very prompt before he had my money). I'll email or text him and it'll be 3-4 days before I get a response that he's looking into it. It's now been well over a month. Last message from him was a week ago.

My question to the ST community is what options do I have. I know who he is, I know where he lives, I have his phone number and email address. Could I seek out an attorney to file suit and make him pay my legal fees? He's in the army so could I contact the MP's at the base or local PD? Not sure what to do since this isn't the typical take your money and run scam and seeing that I know who he is and where he lives.
Last edited by: adktriguy46: Sep 22, 15 4:47

Re: Another BAD STer "Hilltopper93" BUYER BEWARE [adktriguy46] [ In reply to ]

If you put it on a cc, dispute the charge.

Re: Another BAD STer "Hilltopper93" BUYER BEWARE [zachboring] [ In reply to ]

nope I had a balance in paypal that covered it

Call his superior. Military peeps respond when their superior is contacted.

Re: Another BAD STer "Hilltopper93" BUYER BEWARE [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]

That's what I was thinking but do you have any idea how to go about getting that contact info? I wouldn't think they'd give me too much information if I called and said "hey your boy owes me money"

Wtf is Happening here?!

I've been here for years. Bought AND sold and never had an issue. This is really depressing.

Re: Another BAD STer "Hilltopper93" BUYER BEWARE [Shortsocks] [ In reply to ]

Right!? I've literally bought and sold hundreds of items on here with out a single issue. I've had the occasional item not as described but sellers were always responsive.

You bought a bike? I'm going to assume several thousand dollars and you gifted it?

I've gifted and generally ask for gift payments but it usually doesn't top a couple hundred and never thousands.

I haven't looked into how long these problem sellers have been around, but I'm curious if this has anything to do with restrictions being lifted on new members being eligible to sell.

+1.. Why this is happening all of the sudden?

Sorry to hear but why would OP not using CC funding if this is way over 1K

Formerly known SCENERYNW

Getting to his CO will get his attention and motivate him to resolve it. You might try telling him you want it resolved or you will contact his command, and that may do the trick. The trick would be finding someone at Bragg that could do some sniffing for you and find out which unit he is in. I'm in Raleigh and race against military guys on a regular basis, so it might not be that unrealistic to hope there's someone on ST that could help. If you're talking about 3 grand, it may be worth a few hundred to a PI to run it to ground. Good luck.

Re: Another BAD STer "Hilltopper93" BUYER BEWARE [1shogun] [ In reply to ]

Alright, so I've been following this thread in the midst of speaking with the OP and I am setting some things straight. First and foremost, the issue is being dealt with. My command staff and JAG representative already know of the matter and are involved due to the claim I had to file with the shipping company.

Next, read the post. Where did the amount of $3000 ever come from? The amount was $1350 and is being refunded.

The miscommunication between the OP and myself has also been taken care of. The connotation of me "stealing" or being a disgrace to service members is offensive and furthermore rude. I've worked hard to get where I am, and I know most of you should understand that. I'm not trying to screw anyone over.

I've offered the OP all contact information for the representatives and command staff within my unit. He understands I want this issue resolved as much as he does.

Re: Another BAD STer "Hilltopper93" BUYER BEWARE [Hilltopper93] [ In reply to ]

In response to ****'s post I'd like to add this. The basis of this dispute had arisen out of his lack of timely and proper correspondence. I called him out on this and he had since apologized and I have accepted this apology. I truly did not believe his intent was to steal money from me. Something must have happened in regards to shipping on his end and I was not being properly informed on what was going on.

My intent in bringing this to the front on slowtwitch was in the hopes of finding an avenue to get in contact with him and get more information. He contacted me last night (for the first time in a week) after I made this post. He was upset with me for posting this on here with his personal information but I was honestly at a loss for a means to contact him since he wasn't answering my emails, texts, or phone calls. Again he has since apologized and had promised to refund me the money by the end of the week.
Last edited by: Slowman: Dec 9, 15 6:10

Re: Another BAD STer "Hilltopper93" BUYER BEWARE [Hilltopper93] [ In reply to ]

In case any of this was directed towards me
To set the record straight my quote was as follows:

"Really I am hoping he shows up here to set things right......I hate seeing my military brothers get a bad name from a few idiots."

What I meant was that I hoped you were legit and would see things through and NOT make other soldiers look bad by ripping someone off.

If you took that as an attack on your integrity I am sorry.

Giving everyone an update on this, I still have not received my refund after the seller gave me his word that I would have it by the end of the week. That will be 2 weeks ago as of Friday.

Has there been any further communications since then?

Re: Another BAD STer "Hilltopper93" BUYER BEWARE [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]

Yes a few times actually but none of it is making sense. He said that he'd have my money by the end of the week so when that didn't happen I reached questioning why. Days go by and I get a text saying "received?!" As in did I receive the payment. I told him no and then didn't hear anything for several more days. Then I messaged him again and he said he was figuring out his login as we speak. Then nothing for days until I questioned him again.

As of yesterday I sent him an email at night saying myself and others would be contacting his superiors, the MPs, and local law enforcement if he doesn't refund my money by Friday. That would be two whole weeks since he gave me his word that I would have it. He responded within 5 minutes to my email (no shit) saying the refund hadn't been processed yet and he did not have the means to pay me back until fedex pays him.

I'm giving him until the end of the day on Friday or I'm getting law enforcement and his superiors involved. I think I've been more than patient

...so do you still accept his apology?

If he only has a tracking number that doesn't work, I wouldn't hold your breath for him magically getting a refund from FEDEX. Sounds like the so called shipment never existed....
Hope you get this resolved somehow. Thats a lot of money.

Re: Another BAD STer "Hilltopper93" BUYER BEWARE [gibson00] [ In reply to ]

According to him Fedex says the shipment was delivered. Which is possible, but it wasn't delivered to me. And when I ask him where exactly fedex delivered it he doesn't respond. Again pretty sketchy.

Like I said its my fault that I paid via PayPal gift and this all could have been avoided if I had not done that. I've been very patient but that's run out. He has until tomorrow evening.

If he is claiming a package was delivered he should be able to produce a tracking number that shows that as well. With that tracking number you can request information from fedex about the address it was shipping to. They will also be able to provide you with the date it was delivered, and information on whom signed for it (if anyone). They will also confirm via gps the drivers delivery route that day and see where it was actually delivered. Not that you need to do this, but just ways to find out if there is any bit of truth to his story.

----------------------------------------------------------

Re: Another BAD STer "Hilltopper93" BUYER BEWARE [wiRIDEfast] [ In reply to ]

Exactly! He hasn't/ won't provide me with any of that information. He sent me a tracking number that didn't work 3 days after he said he shipped it out. It did not work then and I told him that. So he said he'd look into it. After much hassling he told me according to fedex, the tracking number no longer works because the package has been delivered. Then when I told him that doesn't make sense because it didn't work even a couple days after it was "shipped" he doesn't respond. He's never addressed that.

The strange thing is that we know who this guy is, what he does, and where he lives. Why would someone who's in the military and can easily be found try to screw me over? It just doesn't make sense. The situation just screams scam but he's an office in the U.S. Army.

Tracking numbers do get recycled but I just checked and a few numbers from last year still show up online.

Re: Another BAD STer "Hilltopper93" BUYER BEWARE [nublar] [ In reply to ]

This sucks man, I too have only had good experiences buying and selling on here. Stop messing around and contact his superiors/law enforcement, enough is enough.

Re: Another BAD STer "Hilltopper93" BUYER BEWARE [wcroadie] [ In reply to ]

Because I told him I'd give him until the end of the day tomorrow. And unlike him, I am a man of my word.

Prev Next