Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ever have one of those days
Quote | Reply

where the ride starts out cold and stiff then you get into a rhythm and every thing gets good, then great, and you start having fun and then Karma decides to reach out and slap you upside the head?

that was my day today.

30 miles into my ride and I'm feeling strong as I start a 1500 ft high climb that has two 1/4 mile walls and I'm breezing up. HR at 145 pesking at 158 on the wall no biggie. I'm out of the saddle enjoing the view of Morgan Hill below me. I turn the last corner, only 200 ft to the top, big smile on my face and BLAM the rear tire blows. ****... ok just fix it and go. Right.... I get off to look at the tire and what do I see...the casing has split from bead to bead WTF. I'm done and I'm 20 miles from the car crap. Wait my wifes friend Herb lives up here some where, pull out and turn on the cell, call him, 4 rings 5 rings, come on dude be there, finally he picks up. So I hitched a ride with him to the car [thank you Herb]. Crap this was the best ride i've had in months and I was so looking forward to the twisty descent that I had within my grasp...

On the bright side I haven't climbed this strong in 2 years and I had just the right excuse I've been looking for to chuck my Axial Pros for a set of Vittoria Open Corsa CX twin treads that I have been drooling over [just put those puppies on]. More hills on Sunday... oh yeah

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Ever have one of those days [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my sincere sympathies, eric. unfixable flats are a drag on any ride -- i had one exactly 3 weeks ago that left a funny taste in my saturday.

if you can tolerate a silver-lining-type observation, though, try this one: if i knew i were going to blow a tire on that ride, i think i'd request that it happen on the ascent after doing some quality riding. having it happen a few minutes into your whiteknuckle descent might have been a little less rewarding...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah man i had a monday kinda like that 2 weeks ago. Ride to the pool (8.5 miles one way) despite the heavy blowing winds. Get in the pool and its frigid, i mean really cold for me. Colder than many lakes ive swam in. I did 700ms and decided this was not going to happen (i was shivering and had goosebumps). So i decide to ride to the other pool in town. Get to my bike and its got a partial flat, but its a slow leak and i figure if i pump it up i can make it to the other pool, which i do. Get to that indoor pool and the water is hotter than i take my showers in and the lanes are filled up with a bunch of middle aged ladies talking a heck of a lot more time talking than their swimming. Do the swim, pump my tire up again cause its half full again and ride home racing to get home before the tire completely flattens, and oh by the way, on the ride home it rained.

Yeah some days are like that.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, I got slapped big time last Sunday. Weekend in Palm Springs....rode a hard 70 miles in the heat and sun, finished early enough to lay by the pool. Nice dinner out with the gals, a beer, then sleep. Up Sunday, we loaded up my truck and zipped back to the Bay Area. Made great time and was 10 minutes from home and on the Bay Bridge when some @$$hole decided to slam into my driver's side door and then the MFer KEPT GOING! Ambulance ride for me, treated and released. My almost brand new truck (less than 13,000 miles) has a crushed in side door and shattered windows (most of which glass fell into my lap and I was wearing shorts; luckily no cuts, just a few little pokes).

Three other gals were shaken up but basically fine. Bikes were fine. Truck...not so fine. And, unless the catch the %*$&) who hit me, I'm out my $1,000 deductible on my unisured motorist coverage.

Oh yeah, 5 cars behind me piled up when they saw the large white SUV/van/whatever hit me. One of them also hit and ran.

So, I've had a little time for sitting in front of the computer this week. No riding (but I can try the trainer); light jogging made me dizzy yesterday, so it's walking only; I can try to swim, but my shoulder is also messed up. We should have stopped by Dan's encampment on the way home!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ever have one of those days [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn Cathy, you didn't tell me you had that bad of a concussion and that you were still hurting. Major bummer girl

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely learning patience. Time to go walk. ;-)

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cathy if you are up to it and want to join us we are doing a 52 mile ride in the Santa Cruz Mts Monday the 17th [climbs are Hazel Dell and Eureka Canyon]
total climbing for the ride is 3400 ft

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap, Cathy, that sucks. Did it happen in the early afternoon? I drove by a 5-car stackup on the bridge as I was returning from the GGTC trail run at Tilden. I hope you and your bike (and your truck) are back on the road soon.

All this makes my slow flat and slow-mo fall-off-my-stopped-bike yesterday seem like nothing!
Quote Reply
Re: Ever have one of those days [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 4:15 PM. We had just commented on what great time we made and how we were going to get home before the sun went down. Pffft!

Note to Eric: Probably no can do on the ride. No wheels and it may be mid-March until I get them. Plus, I've yet to be cleared to ride outside (trainer is OK) or run. But, the sympathy factor, especially at work, is sky high.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bummer it would have been nice to ride with you

and milk the sympathy factor because it won't last that long

"on your Left"
Quote Reply