Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Water System
Quote | Reply
What is the best way to carry H2O and other essentials during a race while on the bike? Are the Xlab System or the profile H2o system or both. should food & Gu be placed in back pockets? I will be doing a 1/2 IM

"The age group winner is training. Are You?"
Quote Reply
Re: Water System [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll get a million opinions on this one, but here's my setup:

Xlab flatwing with 2 bottles, CO2, adapter, tools, tubes, etc.
Large "bento box" on top tube for Clif bars and salt tablets
Gu flask holder on top tube behind bento box.

Everything's easy to access, nothing's in the pockets, and I'd guess it's pretty aero since there's no under-seat bag and the bento box and gu flask holder essentially "draft" behind the stem.. This has worked for me for 1/2 IM and IM. Obviously a little overkill for sprints and oly's.
Quote Reply
Re: Water System [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean the neverreach system did not make it to the P3?

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X-lab on the back with H20 & hardware. Food & Gu in my back pockets. I felt like I was carrying too much stuff during my first 1/2IM, so this year I'm just taking what I'll need for the first 15 miles, then I'll re-stock at the aid stations.

Mr Ed
Triathlete with one horsepower
Quote Reply
Re: Water System [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You mean the neverreach system did not make it to the P3? "

-----------------------------------------

Good memory :-) No, the Neverreach didn't make it as my "base" configuration. I may still use it occassionally, though. As I see it, it's best application is 1/2 IM. It's really overkill for sprints and oly's, and too small for an IM. If I've got to refill, I'd rather just go lighter and refill at every aid station. For 1/2 IM, however, I can carry enough fluid for the whole ride without stopping, so I may still use it for that distance. The problem with the Neverreach compared to the Flatwing, though, is I'll still need a saddlebag to carry all the tools and tubes, so the bulk on the back end starts to get pretty high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may be way off the charts on the dork-o-meter scale but I'm thinking about hooking up a Camelback FlashFlow (basically a fanny pack) behind my saddle for a homemade never reach system. I'd have to add some to the tube lengh of course. I'd position it between the aero bars about where an aero drink straw would be.

No it will not look cool but it may work ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Water System [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started out with a flatwing but not any more. first, i dont like reaching back for it; second, the thing weighs a ton; third, the screws attaching it to saddle would often come loose due to vibration and the plate dealios used to clamp the thing to the saddle kept getting stripped. So then I switched to a jetstream in between handlebars and a bottle on downtube. I liked this alot. I'd put accelerade in disposable bottle (i.e., empty gatorade bottle) on downtube (so i could chuck it at aid station if need be and add new one) and just water in jetstream which could also be refilled on the go. But I think for my next 1/2 (ralphs) I am going to try minoura on the back with downtube bottle. although the jetstream is hands down the easiest way to get liquid while riding it is a lot of sloshing weight up front. this isnt great for handling and, although aero tests indicate it is as aero or more aero than rear bottle holders, i admit that i am irrationally affected by the fact that most of the top riders go with rear holders (even though i know that in many cases this is so they can ride with their own special potions). however, my plan for my next 1/2 is to use my downtube bottle exclusively and then when that is done chuck it at aid station and replace with rear bottle. I think I'm going to use the other cage on back for extra tire and inflator, although may go with three bottles.

i also put gelflask on toptube and stick bitesize chunks of powerbar (cookies&cream - the best) to the top of my hed aerobars.

then for run i have racebelt wih loops and put 2 gu packs on that. i may also play with caffeine tabs, probably popping 1 or 2 at T2. I also want to introduce use of salt tabs at T2 and on run as I sweat a ton, but obviously need to experiment with this during training.
Quote Reply