Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike Racing Categories & Speed Relationship [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indeed. it is in the book he edited last year...
but the book refers to a leader/contender for the GC...
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Racing Categories & Speed Relationship [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
High-Performance Cycling (Jeukendrup 2002)..I just pulled it off the shelf and found it (pg 72):

A world-class cyclist participated in the Tour de France, and although the average speed in the six-hour level stage was 40 kilometers per hour, this cyclist with excellent drafting skills managed to reduce his average power output to just 98 watts. In optimal conditions with no wind and level roads, and with a good aerodynamic position, riding at that speed would require approximately 275 watts (Martin et al. 1998).

Either way...impressive as hell, that's some serious skill. Anybody who's riding in a pack with a powermeter will discover how much power output can fluctuate.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Racing Categories & Speed Relationship [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darn! alzheimer...I was sure I remembered it referred to a top rider. my bad.
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Racing Categories & Speed Relationship [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race as a Cat 1. and can average about 19 mph for 50 miles too. Learning HOW to race is much more important than having the fitness to lay down a super fast TT. I've had the chance to beat riders in races that are much faster TT riders than I am, just not as good at managing energy output (sucking wheel).

Get comfortable in a group ride, in tight quarters, do lots of accelerations from 15mph to 35mph over and over again, learn how to turn, to pedal through turns (and when not to) and you'll be fine.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Racing Categories & Speed Relationship [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks go out to all of you for posting.

Muey Mucho Gracias amigos y amigas!

Brett
Quote Reply

Prev Next