Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit Choice Help?
Quote | Reply
T1 full? ($385) ($400 with zipper, would you go with the zipper?)

Piel SCS full? ($355)

Orca P-Flex? ($450 w/"free" sleeveless Speedsuit, I'd rather have $125 off)

Other?

What's your recommendation? (please note if you sell)

planning on mostly shorter distances (want something fairly quick in transition), 6'0" 180lbs, longer upper body, new to the sport so fair swimmer at best right now
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Choice Help? [graigcone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got my first suit as well.

I went with the T1 without zipper. I've got nothing to compare it to, but in my trial swims things have gone very well. Excellent customer service from DeSoto too. (Mr. DeSoto emailed me a couple of times to help with sizing questions). Again, I've never had a suit with a zipper, so can't compare, but the removal of the top didn't seem to be too difficult to me, and certainly something you can do by yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Orca Pred 2 and like it but recently got to try both new QR and Orca P-Flex. Both were top notch but I found the QR to be more flexible in the shoulders though the new P-Flex is more flexible than my Pred 2. If I was in the market the new Aquaman would have to be given serious consideration as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the T1 top and the TRES bottom. That saved $50. The T1 top is so flexible that I was wondering if I shouldn't have gotten the TRES top (which is almost as flexible), even if I might have needed the zipper. That totals $300 retail with the TRES zipper top. $266 with the sleeveless (total retail.)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've got to try them on to find the best one for you. They all fit slightly differently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Own T1 and Piel.. used them both for 2,3 yrs. (respectively)... Also used various QR's designs in the past (try to use an Orca some years ago - not a very good expereince from a fit and feel standpoint - but that's been about 5 yrs ago- things seemed to have changed since then). Just ordered the T1 with zipper.

I use the Piel for short courses... the T1 for long courses... and, have plans to use the zippered T1 for Oly distance tris.

I don't think there is a perfect wetsuit for all course distances... they all have advantages and disadvantages. However, if I was to guess... I would think the T1 with zipper could possible be the wetsuit that could provide the marginal best of all worlds.... Easy to remove, and faster that the T1 to remove and comfortable fit options. Unfortunately, currently all wetsuits (including Orca) designs require that you either give up speed of removal for comfort (or vice versa).

If it was me... I pick the best fitting and learn how to remove the wetsuit. You will see that the Piel wetsuit has no learning curve... while the opposite end of the spectrum is the T1 (without zipper)... All other designs lie somewhere inbetween (IMHO).

FWIW Joe Moya
Last edited by: Joe M: Mar 11, 04 17:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey graigcone,

Another option around the $425 mark is the Ironman Stealth. Its always better to be able to try the suit on with an experienced fitter, but being able to read the fitting instructions on the web- www.ironmanwetsuits.com , and also get feedback from our staff, most of whom also do triathlon, and wear wetsuits should mean you are able to get the most out of your wetsuit, even if that involves swapping around a couple of sizes.

You can check out a list of Ironman Wetsuits retailers online if your looking for someone who sells near you.

As always if you have any questions just drop me a line

stevenicholls@ironmanwetsuits.com
Quote Reply