Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Freaks, Geaks & other assorted oddities [Foolish Tri Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the "Better you than me" look or comment. Sort of the "Good luck to you, but don't ask me to come along" thing. And I have a coworker that has done a tri [on a whim!] and one that is the cross-country coach that does marathons.

Folks are too impressed by the short distances. When folks ask what races I'm going to do (surprisingly they do ask) and I get to the long course ... then they're impressed, and they should be ... that's a tough day.

There was a hilarious comment over at TNO comparing the reaction of an "outsider" to a person that finishes an IM in 8 hours vs. someone that finishes an IM in 16 hours, they're more impressed with the latter. I believe the situation was hypothetical, but easily imagineable. [I'd repost it here, but we all know where that leads. Ha Ha.] Folks would be more impressed with someone that did a 1/2 IM in 10 hours than someone that did an olympic in 2. I guess for most of us, it's a *good thing* they don't know any better. ;)

Triathlons get me more respect than they should around here. The training should get me respect. Doing it day after day, in all sorts of weather, is more admirable than the actual race. Anyone can play in the game, few are willing to sweat like hell in practice.

I don't know many that know the distances, or know what a respectable time is, but they recognize committment, effort, and consistency, and they respect that. I appreciate it.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you do the full triathlon?(meaning IM)

You do that race in Hawaii?

Do you make money doing that?

Do you ever win?

Do you race for a team?

You must be in really good shape! Wow!

and of course:

That's crazy, nuts, etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Freaks, Geaks & other assorted oddities [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my favorite is "does your wanker ever go to sleep on the bike"?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Freaks, Geaks & other assorted oddities [Fireproof -- TT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There was a hilarious comment over at TNO comparing the reaction of an "outsider" to a person that finishes an IM in 8 hours vs. someone that finishes an IM in 16 hours, they're more impressed with the latter.

I think that's a common thought among many athletes as well. I think most FOP and MOP athletes really respect the BOPers. You often hear comments like "I can't believe they're still out there, that's amazing!" from people that have been finished for several hours at an IM. BOPers times are often affected by adverse weather conditions as they are out there running in the hottest part of the day in events like Oly's and Half IM's where FOP athletes get to run while it's still relatively cool. Oftentimes, BOPers are larger and/or older athletes giving them yet another hurdle to clear. And just the fact that they are out there that much longer takes more toll on their bodies. I have never exercised more than 11 hours and 18 minutes in a single day. It's hard for me to fathom racing for 14, 15, 17 hours.

I think it can definitely be argued that a 67 y/o woman or 260 lb. man finishing an IM in 16 hours is as an impressive a feat as someone who races for a living finishing in 8:40.
Quote Reply
Re: Freaks, Geaks & other assorted oddities [Mark C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think putting in the absolute minimal '18 weeks to your 1st ironman' training and then slogging your way to a 16 hour finish is not much of an accomplishment at all."

Yea, ok. I love these people who think you have to break 10 hours in an IM to make it an actual accomplishment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me: Yes, I've been doing triathlons for a few years now--it's alot of fun.

She (tall brunette late 20's hottie): Oh, I guess that explains why you look like you are in such fantastic shape!

Me: (modestly) Well, yes, it does keep one fit.

She: Can I touch your quads?

Me: Hey, what if you touch the left one while your little friend over there touches the right?

She: That sounds cool! I'm sure she'd be up for it, let's go ask!

Then I usually wake up.
Quote Reply
Re: Freaks, Geaks & other assorted oddities [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your last paragraph is spot on. For the record, the comment was comparing similar athletes reaching different finishing times. It was not taking into account extraordinary circumstances.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why?
Quote Reply
Re: Freaks, Geaks & other assorted oddities [DanP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still working on the specific why - but...

I am interested in figuring out a couple of things...

Who are triathletes, what makes us tick, what can we learn from inside our selfs, from our borther (sister) triathletes, and fron non-traithletes to help us improve.

Where does this sport stand within the larger sportting world.

Can it grow? How? Where can it grow to?

What are we doing that hurts our sport that we probably don't even realize/know we are doing. What are we doing to help it?

Just a few of my thought. This one question does not specifically answer any of these questions, but I do think it to be a data point (reflection point) for all these questions.

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No Foolish. I am not questioning your question.

That is the response I get from people: "Why?"
Quote Reply
It's rather like 'shock and wow'. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 first response a sort of shocked look (like i don't look like i could do one - not sure why) and then 'wow...i'd never be able to do that'. then when they ask how far and fast i usually get the 'look' (you guys know what i'm talking about) and depending on gender the eyes stop at one of two places. :-\ then they usually always ask if I've done Hawaii and if I win as well. like they would or something.

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually when people meet me they think I'm crazy.
Then I tell them I'm a triathlete and they think I'm insane. Sol Goode by me.

Anyway, to answer your questions:
1. What makes us tick? Sex.
2. Where does this sport stand? Somewhere between Ladies sand volleyball, and mudd wrestling.
3. Where can it grow? Below the waist.
4. What are we doing that hurts our sport? Not getting enough ladies involved.
5. Why am I so crazy right now? I've got a cold/fever right now that's sitting on my head and punching me in my face.

-It's not how fast you are, it's how fast you look
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite is when I tell folks the race distance I am training for (half-IM) and we go through the litany of distances (1.2, 56, 13.1). After I give them the distance they then give me the thoughtful "I think I could do that" comment. Then I say 'well let's do it" and happily invite them to join me for a 3000 yd swim workout on Thursday, a two hour training run on Saturday and a three hour training ride on Sunday. At that point I get the "well...um...nah". That usually ends the conversation.

Ron
Quote Reply
Re: Freaks, Geaks & other assorted oddities [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude..
"2. Where does this sport stand? Somewhere between Ladies sand volleyball, and mudd wrestling."
Ladies sand volleyball is very popular in Brazil... and if I can guesstimate the popular culture in the US, mudd wrestling probably has a good number of fans as well...
Here in Germany (opposed to Brazil where I come from) I find people treat wannabe-pro cyclists much like "normal" people. And triathletes as well, though I haven't met that many around yet. Then again, everyone rides a bike to work...

Ricardo Wickert | Team Magnesium Pur - Germany | My sporadically updated blog: The Thin Grad Line | My team-issued TT bike: Trek Speed Concept 9

2015 Sponsors & Partners: Magnesium Pur | Ullmax | B&W Bike Cases | Ristorante La Dolce Vita | Trek Bikes via Bici-Sport Binder
Quote Reply

Prev Next