Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Titanium or Carbon Fiber?
Quote | Reply
Which to go with Titanium or Carbon Fiber? Why?

"Define yourself by your discipline, dedication and determination and never stop until you are truly finished."
Last edited by: triblooper: Mar 4, 04 5:27
Quote Reply
Re: Titaneum or Carbon Fiber? [triblooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's Titaneum?

Round these parts it's spelled Titanium. I prefer Aluminum. It's all I got so it's automatically the best.

-It's not how fast you are, it's how fast you look
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what? Handle bars, spokes, frames sets, coffee machines?

There is not a best or all would be made of that 'best' material. Depends on what YOU value.

Some like Ti because it always looks new with a little polishing, relatively light and can be built into comfortable bikes.

Carbon can be very light but isn't always. Calfee and Trek can make their frames very light and responsive and the price is reasonable. Colnago bikes are not going to win more races but cost twice as much. Look frames are heavy, compared to light carbon bikes but some say the ride is magic.

What do you want? I'd bet there is a maker who builds exactly what you want or a custom builder who can make anything that you need.
Quote Reply
Re: Titaneum or Carbon Fiber? [Russell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest "Upsidasyium" as it is quite light...Then there is "Smorgassboradium" an interesting alloy that is quite popular as well.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ti, becuase it is less likely to break in a crash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither, because they are too expensive for what you get. Steel has got soul and aluminum is light and stiff, and available in lots of shapes. And both are available in custom geometry for about half the price of a stock Ti or CF frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Titaneum or Carbon Fiber? [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man oh man I love a steel frame...

All things being equal, I think that Ti may have a lower total cost of owner ship than Steel as you could say that you would never again need a new bike - steel will wear out.

Quote Reply
Re: Titaneum or Carbon Fiber? [Record10ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"...steel will wear out."

That's a myth. Pull out any materials science textbook and read up on fatigue limits if you don't believe me.
Quote Reply
Re: Titaneum or Carbon Fiber? [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was riding Serotta's....Colorado EX - I could tell year by year that as I got new bikes, it was stiffer than the old bikes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a carbon bike for 5 years and I have had a Tiphoon for the past two. I would say most top end bikes ride well regardless of what they are made of. I was expecting some magic ride from titanium but my 'fanny' can't notice it. There would not be much difference in the weight of the frames. The only advantage is the reduced potential for damage to the paintwork on a titanium frame (because it has none !). When I clean the Tiphoon it still looks new, the carbon frame frame, after some nasty scratches in the plane, getting it in and out of the car, falling over at the coffee shop, it looks 20 years old. (is in having a respray now)
Quote Reply