Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Clysdales/Athena categories? [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any time there's a special category which favors some "other" group, someone will be pissed. I don't have a problem with Clyde/Athena or MTB categories, but what really want is a "low VO2max" category so I can compete with other people who suck like me ;)

And I won't even have a cute outfit or pink bike to make myself feel better.

Mr Mike....I think ya hit it right on the head...I think clydes/athena is assenine....yup, i was 5'3 119 lbs as a HS frosh and got killed in football...where was the little guys division? I respect the hell out of the Clydes that race out of the divison..the rest of em...well...
Quote Reply
Re: Clysdales/Athena categories? [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So anyway, this poor slight short kid who Triple T used to bully around the playground and who could never get a date with the cheerleader, turns 30, looks around for something to do, and wow, after a couple of years of training, he's pretty good at tri.

I was 6'3 135 when I graduated high school. 155 when I graduated college. I had a Red's scout watch me in practice. After wards we had an interview. The first 2 questions he asked me "Ever hear of chocolate cake?" Yes. "Ever eat any?". Classic.

I'm very much a late-bloomer. I don't really fit in anywhere outside of competitive collegiate athletics. I'm likely too fast-twitch to be really good at tri's [I hope that's not true], and I'm too slowtwitch to be really good at bodybuilding/strength-training. I try and shoot for "all-around man/dad". My ultimate goal is to be 6'3 225 @10-12%BF and do an Olympic Tri in 2:15 - 2:20. That's not asking for much *rolls eyes at self*.

So, the poor slight kid was me until I discovered 3 magical things ... strength-training, milk, and steak. I plan to race AG, and keep the Clydes div for whom {IMO} it was intended to be for.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Mar 3, 04 15:22
Quote Reply
Re: Clysdales/Athena categories? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TT, between athletics, raising a family, and some really long annoying posts you're a true modern-day renaissance man....

No one's noticing my posts are getting shorter? The effort is for not?

My son's been cracking me up. Everytime he sees the bike trainer he tells me "Daddy practice". Daddy's not getting on the trainer again, it's been outdoor time for the past month.

To make this somewhat relevant (i.e. on-topic) I could see the Clydesdale division being raised up to 215 or 225. 190 isn't that heavy ... especially for someone my height.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: Clysdales/Athena categories? [tricyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your the Man Chris, Its good to know there is another high school wrestler/runner turned triathlete. I thought I was alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Clysdales/Athena categories? [broll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think clydes/athena is assenine."

That's more like it. . .this whole thread was just a bit too civil.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...I think clydes/athena is assenine....yup, i was 5'3 119 lbs as a HS frosh and got killed in football...where was the little guys division? I respect the hell out of the Clydes that race out of the divison..the rest of em...well..."

Yeah, you're probably right. After all, when I race as a Clyde I half-ass the entire race. Krispy Kremes and barbecued ribs on the bike, and crisco shakes and twinkies on the run. When I race in my age group I change my tune and become a respectable triathlete.

So what if some RD is willing to give me free schwag for placing in a bigun category? It doesn't change the races I sign up for or, contrary to what's written above, how I race. I guess it doesn make me a lesser human though.

BTW, 119 as a HS frosh is a hell of a lot bigger than I was. Football and 4 years of lacrosse was still fun as hell.
Quote Reply
Re: Clysdales/Athena categories? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe as a compromise they should just call the category "bigun" anyone willing to be called "bigun" earns my respect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasnt implying Clydes half ass it...where im from, 5'3 119, no pubes gets ya killed..and a season on the bench....i took my licks and didnt complain, nor did i look to be recognized for the little i did do....its part of the sport....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"where im from, 5'3 119, no pubes gets ya killed"

Classic.

I don't think many Clydes look to be recognized either. Given the choice of getting a t-shirt for my race fee, or a t-shirt and maybe a plaque or watch or trophy for the same amount, I'll opt for the latter. I'm a schwag whore.

When pressed, I'll happily admit that the Clyde division is a bit dumb. My beef is not with weight divisions, but with providing a subset of the racers a choice of which category they want to race in. Race categories (excepting the pro category) should be structured such that each competitor can race in exactly one category. Clydes have a choice, nobody else does. That's stupid.

However, if the clyde category does, in fact, encourage people to get involved in tri that otherwise wouldn't, then that is one thing that is truly great about the category and I'll support it wholeheartedly.
Quote Reply
Re: Clysdales/Athena categories? [Rocky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing about "biguns". Every time I hear that word all I can think of is "Married With Children" and Al's nudie magazine of choice.
Last edited by: Pooks: Mar 3, 04 17:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, maybe if John Cobb is correct in assessing that there are distinct physiological disadvantages (or at least differences) that larger triathletes face, then there might be some merit to the runner/wrestler breakdown of categories.

What if we were divided into three or four general weight classes, comprised of five or six age groups each? I know, too many awards and then the question of where does it stop--Vo2 Max, Years of Experience, Income Level? But with the two, easily verifiable factors of weight and age, we would be competing on a more level playing field, with those who are similarly aged and built.

I don't suffer under the illusion that this will EVER happen, but it does some good to question why age was chosen as a measuring stick for competition in a sport that is more about physical differences than chronological.

I have often come to the same conclusion as one of the previous post-ers, that resistance toward the category is likely a result of an inability to succeed in mainstream sports, and a desire to protect what some may feel as "their territory".

In the meantime, at 6'5", 210lbs and 6.8% bodyfat, i'm racing clydes to hopefully shatter the ignorant notion that the division is a non competitive outlet for fat people.

To maintain my self esteem while competing in this "smaller man's sport", i just remind myself as you're flying past me on the run...I could dunk on you, sucka!

;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think in each age-group there should be 3 weight divisions: Light, medium, and heavy. Then for each weight division there should further sub-grouping based upon BF%: 2-6%, 7-12%, 12%+. Then each BF% group should be divided in sub-groups based on experience level: 1st year, 2-4 years, 5-7 years, 7-10 years, 10+ years. They should have awards for the 10 ten in every group.

For example, I'll try to race in the Men's 30-34 age group, heavyweight division, 7-12% BF, 1st year. I'm gunning for top 10. ;)

At the end of the race ... everybody gets ice-cream, we all deserve it. [FWIW, the "ice-cream" is a sarcastic award that people get "just for trying" ... we used to say that anytime somebody screwed up in sports. "Well, you still get ice-cream"]

--------------------------------------

Edit: coug642 beat me to the punch line of absurdity in sub-divisions.

I like your dunk comment. As people run/bike past, I'm going to yell "I'd kill you in volleyball."

=======================
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Mar 3, 04 17:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agreed...peace and best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This just reminded me of one of my favorite "tri stories":

At the local (small) tri race last year I was standing by a female acquaintance who had won the Athena division. She's a very laidback and fun type. So anyway, they finally work their way to her turn (it's a small enough race that about 1/3 of the field gets an award). She's goes up gets her token, settles in next to me and is checking it out. She glances over and says, with a trace of disgust/annoyance, "nowhere on here does it say 1st place". They call a couple of other awards, so 30-40 seconds pass, then she looks back at me, and with a wry expression says "oh well, I guess it doesn't say 'fat chicks division' either".

Those are the kind of people you do this activity to hang with.
Quote Reply

Prev Next