Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help - I can't bike for another month
Quote | Reply
Due to a medical problem (see my previous posts, peeing at night and peeing at night diagnosed for details) I cannot ride my bike for at least another month. It's already been 3 weeks. I can still run, swim and lift. I'm going to start doing a run focus, where I run 5-6X week. My A race this year is IMUSA. Anyone ever been forced to do anything like this? If so, with what results? Also, How devastating is not riding for 7 weeks to my IM?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Help - I can't bike for another month [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMUSA isn't until July 25, right? And its March 2 now, so you should be on the bike again for April, May, June, July. Thats basically 4 months of bike specific prep time leading up to IMUSA, and you will be able to focus on running for the next month. I don't see that as a setback at all. It's all in the attitude.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries. You have plenty of time and this might be a blessing in disguse. Sounds like you are about to emark on a run focus block of training. That should be great and will pay dividends late in the race. Think about maybe adding some incremental stretching and/or yoga while you are in this no-bike haitus. A couple of winters ago Gordo had great success improving his aerodynamics via an agressive yoga program (5-8hrs/wk) that improved his flexibility so he was able to ride a more aerodynamic position. This could also be a great opportuinty to add some additional swim workouts into your program to gain the improved cardio benefits and core stregth that comes from swimming. If you have a few years of base cycling under your belt, your body will get right back on it. Heck, the phrase, "it's just like riding a bike" was coined for a reason. Your body will remember. Go easy when you get back on the bike and be sure to build the aerobic base before putting the hammer down. Hope it all works out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about riding a recumbent stationary bike. A lot of gyms have them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herschel,

Relax. Seriously.

I had surgery last month (down below) and was finally able to begin riding again last week. I'll be at CdA and know that I'll have my riding legs by then.

Despite the compressed schedule, 3-4 months is PLENTY to get your riding legs back. The beauty of cycling is that you can ramp more quickly since it is a non-impact sport. Take the extra time and energy you've got right now and focus it on your other disciplines.

Set some new goals which can also be rewarding...

What about a 10,000 meter swim day? It will still take less time than many rides.

How about doing a 30 mile hike with a full-pack?

Yoga is another great alternative.

Between, swimming, running, and lifting...You'll have plenty of strength and endurance. All you'll need to do is some sport-specific training and you'll be fine.

Best regards,

Jonathan C. Puskas

http://www.bamcoach.com

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: Help - I can't bike for another month [ncooksey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried the recumbent but it was so damn uncomfortable. Whoever designs them obviously doesn't have to ride em.
Quote Reply