Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OLY 2 WEEKS BEFORE FULL IM?
Quote | Reply
I don't think this would be a problem as long as hold off a little. Does anybody disagree?
Quote Reply
Re: OLY 2 WEEKS BEFORE FULL IM? [thirsty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go all out. If I recall correctly, Karen Smyers won the ITU world's in Cancun in 1995 and one week later, took the show in KONA. Seriously though, doing an Olympic tri two weeks out would be a good thing. It will put your mind in racing psychology and it will force you to not be tempted to throw in another long ride, long run or long brick, something most Ironman guys have difficulty in holding off on with 2 weeks to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second that. Smoke it! Provided you are healthy, go blow out the crap in your legs and let all 12 cyclinders fly! It's a great chance to put your gear through its paces, practice your transitions at race speed, and check your race prep right before the big event. Plus it will help clean out some of the pre-race jitters if you haven't been racing recently.

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will disagree vehemently with the other posters. One of which i know to be much faster than I. 2 weeks before an IM, you should be tapering. Why take the chance on a little OLY race when so many things can go wrong, even if you're taking it easy (which is easier said than done in itself). You could fall off your bike, crack your frame, crack your ribs, you could pull a hamstring, get a blister, etc etc etc.

After all the time and money spent to do a full IM, why risk it all for this. Just my humble opinion. I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: OLY 2 WEEKS BEFORE FULL IM? [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Valid counter point, but in all the OLY's that you have done, how many cracked frames? Crashes? Blisters? Reasonable risk??? Better to find out two weeks before the race that your bike isn't shifting with the race wheels, rather than find out coming out of T1 at the big event. Personnally, I also get pre-race gitters after training for so many months straight without toeing the line. I works for me to knock a few of the jitters out of the way at a smaller event and then I know my training is in the bank and it's all a matter of deciding whether to eat at Salty's or the steak place on Main St the night before IMC.

I should caveat: I'm also a proponent of stepping off the course at the OLY if you have to dig into your reserves for anything. Walk away. Screw the crap about finish at all cost, it's not your IM. It's a fast, supported, training day on a closed course. It should flow. If it's work or you get dehydrated you are taking away from the big event. And be sure to fully rehydrate and eat well after the event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is exactly what my coach has me doing...BUT at aerobic pace only no hammering. He feels that its good to shake everything out after a long summer of training and not alot of raceing. Seems like a good idea as long as you take it easy and treat it like a 3 sport brick.
Quote Reply