Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brillian new evac plans for NO
Quote | Reply
http://news.yahoo.com/..._orleans_evacuations

Looks like the typical sort of government response- not a really improved plan, just a knee-jerk response to specific problems from the past.

Mayor Ray Nagin unveiled a new evacuation strategy for New Orleans on Tuesday that relies more on buses and trains and eliminates the Superdome and Convention Center as shelters. "There will be no shelter of last resort," Nagin declared.

That sounds smart.

The new plan also touches on a heart-wrenching decision evacuees faced ahead of Katrina: To board the buses, they had to leave their pets, and some refused to go without them. In the future, evacuees will be allowed to bring pets with them as long as they have some type of cage to safely put them in.

Genius.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Brillian new evac plans for NO [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope they TELL these dolts as most of em cant read.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Brillian new evac plans for NO [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I hope they TELL these dolts as most of em cant read.

There is no one to tell. The one's that can't read are still here in Houston and Baton Rouge with no plans of going back, and no way to get there if they wanted to. Two entire residential areas of New Orleans with thousands of homes are not going to be rebuilt at all.

The evacuation plan is simple. Everyone with cars, leave! Everyone who FEMA bussed out of town, stay where you are!
Quote Reply
Re: Brillian new evac plans for NO [Hookem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One would think that maybe just maybe they would get off their asses and rebuild their homes...oh, shit, I forgot - that is not their job.

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Brillian new evac plans for NO [Hookem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The evacuation plan is simple. Everyone with cars, leave!

Why can't those without cars take the free transportation being offered? Is someone supposed to buy them cars too?

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Brillian new evac plans for NO [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why can't those without cars take the free transportation being offered?

Relax, Casey, there are no hurricanes in Boise.

But seriously- anyone think that it's a good idea to eliminate the "shelters of last resort?"

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relax, Casey, there are no hurricanes in Boise.

Had me worried there for a while. I've lived through a hurricane and it's not the best time to be caught on a bike.

But seriously- anyone think that it's a good idea to eliminate the "shelters of last resort?"

I can't imagine how anyone could think that's smart.

Isn't he still involved in a Mayor's race? Odd that he would think this would help his chances.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I think the better question is this- Anyone think it's a good idea to leave Ray "Chocolate City School bus" Nagin in charge of the evacuation plan?

I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Brillian new evac plans for NO [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He wouldn't be in this situation if Bush hadn't caused all this. My question is still why are we rebuilding a city that sits under the water line?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Brillian new evac plans for NO [Just Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My question is still why are we rebuilding a city that sits under the water line?

Because the people are entitled to a new home paid for by the government. It's the least we can do for them.

:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because the people are entitled to a new home paid for by the government. It's the least we can do for them.

:)

And where the hell is my gas rebate check!! I already spent that $100 because the gov't said they were going to send it!
Quote Reply
Re: Brillian new evac plans for NO [Tyrius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And where the hell is my gas rebate check!! I already spent that $100 because the gov't said they were going to send it!

You mean the government lied? That's unusual.

I think Frist is getting shot down with the idea because to finance it, they were looking to change the tax accounting for the inventory levels of oil which would cost the big oil companies a lot of money. Their lobbysists insisted it was nothing more than a windfall tax. Companies like Wal Mart joined in the efforts because the inventory tax would also impact them.

I don't care (I think it was a dumb idea) but it really is interesting how quickly the industry lobbysists for big companies jump on the politicians when their profit levels are at stake.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care (I think it was a dumb idea)

Now THAT was an understatement! In typical gov't fashion their first response is to throw money at the problem and when that doesn't work commission a study to figure out that they actually need to spend MORE money on the problem. And now we devolve into a never ending cycle of tax and spend. Well this new cycle is slightly different, tax less and spend more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care (I think it was a dumb idea) but it really is interesting how quickly the industry lobbysists for big companies jump on the politicians when their profit levels are at stake.

In this case, the big companies were entirely justified in doing so.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, what happens when a hurricane changes course and people don't have TIME to evacuate? No shelter bitches. You better learn how to swim. I nominate Nagin as the next head of FEMA.

Second how are you going to fit a large dog crate inside a bus? It isn't going to fit on a school bus, nor will it go in any luggage compartment. Tie it on top maybe? BRILLIANT.

And the people of NO are ACTUALLY going to vote this guy back into office? Simply astounding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely agree but it is amazing to me how quickly they act. They are powerful groups.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely agree but it is amazing to me how quickly they act.

It's not like they have far to go. They're already in the politicians back pockets.
Quote Reply
Re: Brillian new evac plans for NO [Just Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
He wouldn't be in this situation if Bush hadn't caused all this.
Yeah I know it a damn shame Bush couldn't put his Hurricane making powers to better use. You know things like wiping out Cuba, Venezula and San Fran and the rest of the Commy countries in the West.

I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply