Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I am destroying the planet [velocity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply]No one can stop "global warming" as it is called - then again, there were no cars around when the ice age ended...hmmmmmmmm...oh wait, tree huggers dont want to talk about that...[/reply]

I respectfully disagree.

Climate change is a normal phenomenon, but the difference with what we are seeing now is an enormous and RAPID spike in the amount of co2 in the atmosphere over histrorical instead of geological time. The results may well be huge disruptions of our social and economic base. The natural systems will adjust over time, but our culture is truly fucked.

BP and Swiss Re are concerned and I don't think it's just green washing.

Prove it...oh, you cant. Never mind.

BTW - about a billion people in China dont give a shit what anyone thinks about the environment.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: I am destroying the planet [velocity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet the Dinosaurs wont agree with you.....

Quote Reply
Re: I am destroying the planet [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

BTW - about a billion people in China dont give a shit what anyone thinks about the environment.

Make that 1.3 Billion people in China don't give a shit.

AND 1.1 Billion People in India who don't give a shit.

A good 100 Million people in Mexico who don't give a shit.

Another 100 Million in Korea and Vietnam who don't give a shit.

And about 200 Million in Russia and the Ukraine - they don't give a shit either.
Quote Reply
Re: I am destroying the planet [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have responded sooner but I had to dig a hole in the yard to pour used motor oil into...great post, but I dont give a shit ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am supporting the economy what more positive can you get from that?

a billion people in China dont give a shit what anyone thinks about the environment.

Only a naive economist would disregard the cost of pollution to the economy.

"Adding it all up, the World Bank concludes that pollution is costing China an annual 8-12% of its $1.4 trillion GDP in direct damage, such as the impact on crops of acid rain, medical bills, lost work from illness, money spent on disaster relief following floods and the implied costs of resource depletion"

China has raised thier pollution prevention spending to 1.3% of the GDP but it has been suggested that they up that to around 2% to make a real dent in the problem

As China grows and continues to imitate the West's model of high consumpution,the more this will be an issue and need to be addressed. I find it interesting how limited people's understanding of protecting the environment is. People care about thier health but not the environmental health and they love to rely on medicine not realizing that polluted food, water and air threatens thier health greatly. I really think that it comes down to education - the more education and science the less pollution.
  1. A great wall of waste http://www.economist.com/...cfm?story_id=3104453
  2. China is facing serious pollution http://www.gasandoil.com/...reports/rex72601.htm
  3. US Department of State - China http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/18902.htm

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
24 tons a year. I drive less than 10k a year, but I fly a lot due to being an airline manager.

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"BTW - about a billion people in China dont give a shit what anyone thinks about the environment."

And that's the really scary part of where we are at right now. Imagine if those billion+ in China and the other billion in India start consuming stuff( gas, water, wood, food . . . everything) at the same unsustainable rate that we( the much smaller population in the west) already are.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]

BTW - about a billion people in China dont give a shit what anyone thinks about the environment. [/reply]

Make that 1.3 Billion people in China don't give a shit.

AND 1.1 Billion People in India who don't give a shit.

A good 100 Million people in Mexico who don't give a shit.

Another 100 Million in Korea and Vietnam who don't give a shit.

And about 200 Million in Russia and the Ukraine - they don't give a shit either.[/reply]

Those are pretty broad statements. That would be like saying all Americans are ass holes. Not all of them are, but there are a few. There are a tonne of people in China who give a shit. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist.
Take a look at the first story.
http://www.bulletin.uwaterloo.ca/2006/may/02tu.html
Quote Reply
Re: I am destroying the planet [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
www.drivinggreen.com.

feel better about yourself. you can buy carbon credits, so regardless of how many tonnes you use, you are environmentally neutral. plus, you get a tshirt that is hilarious to wear if you drive a big gas guzzler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 tonnes--i have a home office, live in small village.
Quote Reply
Re: I am destroying the planet [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply][reply]

BTW - about a billion people in China dont give a shit what anyone thinks about the environment. [/reply]

[/reply]

Those are pretty broad statements. That would be like saying all Americans are ass holes. Not all of them are, but there are a few. There are a tonne of people in China who give a shit. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist.
Take a look at the first story.
http://www.bulletin.uwaterloo.ca/2006/may/02tu.html

You are right -- here it is corrected.

Make that 1.2 Billion people in China don't give a shit.

AND 1.0 Billion People in India who don't give a shit.

A good 99 Million people in Mexico who don't give a shit.

Another 99 Million in Korea and Vietnam who don't give a shit.

And about 99 Million in Russia and the Ukraine - they don't give a shit either.

The POINT of my statement is that the United States is the TARGET and these up and coming industrial nations are using Green House Gas emissions as the weapon. They are using environmental issues as a political issue to try and hamper US industry while they mostly ignore environmental issues.

Only recently have a FEW realized there is an economic cost to environmental hazards -- Have you seen Hong Kong Harbor??? GROSS!!

But back to the point - My statement is about political attacks and not the environment.
Quote Reply
Re: I am destroying the planet [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"BTW - about a billion people in China dont give a shit what anyone thinks about the environment."

And that's the really scary part of where we are at right now. Imagine if those billion+ in China and the other billion in India start consuming stuff( gas, water, wood, food . . . everything) at the same unsustainable rate that we( the much smaller population in the west) already are.

Fleck
DOOM! It's the end of the world as we know it! And I feel fine!
Quote Reply
Re: I am destroying the planet [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DOOM! It's the end of the world as we know it! And I feel fine!

You are hilarious!

Bernie

Re: I am destroying the planet [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
British Petroleum brow beating us regarding carbon emissions is sort of like Sara Lee wondering how you got so fat?

I think "they" give a shit pretty much like we do...

http://www.wired.com/...ive/13.04/china.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
79 tonnes. Beat that. thhhhhhpt!!!
Quote Reply
Re: I am destroying the planet [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A contest among althetes to see who is most proud of polluting the air we breathe the most, ironic. As an athlete with asthma, I'd personally prefer cleaner air. Being able to breathe is kind of nice.

Chicago has a beautiful skyline doesn't it? Riding in that probably doesn't really affect your performance.

LA - Anyone up for a run. <cough>

New York -

Houston - Anyone want to do a race there?

Denver

“The more we learn about how air pollution affects the lungs, the more urgent it is becoming to take precautions to protect yourself outdoors on unhealthy air days,” Dr. Edelman explained. “Ozone, or smog, and particle pollution can affect anyone. - http://www.lungusa.org/...34851&ct=2071657

Long-term exposure to polluted air can have permanent health effects:
  • Accelerated aging of the lungs and loss of lung capacity
  • Decreased lung function
  • Development of diseases such as asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, and possibly cancer
  • Shortened life span
  • Ground-level Ozone

Ozone is a strong irritant that can cause constriction of the airways, forcing the respiratory system to work harder in order to provide oxygen. It can also cause other health problems:
    • Aggravated respiratory disease such as emphysema, bronchitis and asthma
    • Damage to deep portions of the lungs, even after symptoms such as coughing or a sore throat disappear
    • Wheezing, chest pain, dry throat, headache or nausea
    • Reduced resistance to infection, increased fatigue, or weakened athletic performance
    Particulate Matter

A series of scientific studies have linked particulate matter, especially fine particles, with a variety of significant health problems:
    • Aggravated asthma, heart or lung disease
    • Respiratory related hospital admissions and emergency room visits
    • Acute respiratory symptoms, including severe chest pain, gasping, and aggravated coughing
    • Decreased lung function, which can be experienced as shortness of breath
    • Chronic bronchitis
    • Premature death
Children who compete in several sports and live in high-ozone areas have a higher risk of respiratory condition, USC study shows condition, USC study shows condition, USC study shows

Children who compete in sports in communities with more heavily polluted air are more likely to be diagnosed with asthma than other children, according to research from the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California.

"Somewhat to our surprise, in low-ozone communities, we found no increased risk of asthma in children who played team sports," McConnell says.

Athletes get a higher dose of pollutants to the lung, because they must breathe rapidly and deeply. In addition, most sports are played outside, where ozone concentrations rise higher than indoors.

Mark Williams, one of Hong Kong's top marathon runners, has had enough of the city's dirty air

"When I go running, I have to run in places that are not polluted ... and there are fewer and fewer places to run," he said, adding that the need for space and clean air was forcing him out of Hong Kong and into New Zealand.

Many of Hong Kong's 7 million people are resigned to the city's bad air. As for tourists, they take home photographs of a Victoria Harbor shrouded in smog -- a choking cocktail of sulphur dioxide, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, suspended particulates, volatile organic compounds and ozone.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/05/02/hk.pollution.reut/

Air pollution is one of the harsh realities of city cycling

Daily, bicyclists and walkers suffer itchy noses, burning eyes and scratchy lungs — and the knowledge that they are being slowly poisoned in the act of trying to get around a city where the car rules. http://www.transalt.org/...chapter18/index.html

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: I am destroying the planet [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chicago has a beautiful skyline doesn't it? Riding in that probably doesn't really affect your performance.

No, I dont think riding in fog is that bad for you

That's right - pure clean fog. What you don't know can't hurt you right?

Ride on brother.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply

Prev Next