Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road bikes
Quote | Reply
I have been doing tri's on a cervelo P2K but would like to expand to some road races and crits. I'll be buying a bike from my LBS and am trying to decide between a Cervelo soloist team, Specialized Allez pro and Specialized s-works E5. I know fit is the most important aspect, but does anyone have any experience with any of these or suggestions. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bikes [jaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, buy the one that fits. Obviously, you already know that. Look at seat tube angles, chainstay lengths, front center measurements (especially with the Cervelo) and bottom bracket heights as well as head tube heights and overall wheelbase.

Also, check your weight on the bikes with two bathroom scales, one under each wheel, to see which one gives you the best weight bias. Especially when cornering speed is an issue, weight bias and center of gravity between the two wheels is super, super, super important.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Nice job on wanting to do some crits, etc. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a soloist and I really like it. I don't think you could go wrong with buying one. I have ridden an Allez pro as well. It was a nice ride. The S-works specialized is supposedly a better bike than the pro but I haven't ridden it. Another bike that I feel is really good for road racing is the C-Dale R2000 or R3000. GREAT bikes. Congrats on wanting to do some road racing, get ready for some suffering. I suggest joining a local cycling team that has a decent racing contingent and that trains together on the weekends if not racing. I have learned a lot from the team that I joined. The fitness on a lot of the roadies is incredible. Have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice job on wanting to do some crits, etc. [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have any info on Colorado cyclist's Douglas fusion? Obviously I can't test ride it but they can set it up with my appropriate stem and crank length, etc.... $1199 for a complete ultegra bike in an '03 model. My LBS can't touch that price unfortunately.

Tri's are still my main passion but I am taking a journey into the land of road racing but had a change of heart and don't want to spend too much on something I'm not sure I will stick with.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice job on wanting to do some crits, etc. [jaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Douglas is colorado cyclists' inhouse frame, equivalent to scattante at supergo. The 03 is 1199 but only comes in 49cm. You get a nice wheelset and obviously a good group, so not a bad deal. I've seen them around a couple of times, but haven't talked to anybody about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Klein Q-Pro Carb
Quote Reply
Re: Road bikes [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Also, check your weight on the bikes with two bathroom scales, one under each wheel, to see which one gives you the best weight bias. Especially when cornering speed is an issue, weight bias and center of gravity between the two wheels is super, super, super important.
Wow, what a good idea. Makes alot of sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bikes [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, you all dont even want me to go off on Road Bikes...that is right up my alley. I miss the old USCF days...running people off the road and all :-)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own an S Works.

I wish I could give feedback on the Solist, but I have not test ridden one of these. But I own an S-Works and this bike is wonderful to ride. I found that these bikes run true to just a tad bit small but nevertheless, a great frameset. Mine is a 56 and it fit's me well as I am just under 6 feet tall. I have been riding it all winter simply because it is so very comfortable to ride. I have taken out full carbon frames and honeslty, the S Works comes close to the level of comfort and road dampening that you get with a full carbon frame. And the freaky thing is that it is Al. It is my understanding that the S WOrks family uses better Aluminum. And when you ride it, you will see. I would say,test ride them, do a few miles...not just a spin around the parking lot and then decide on what you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bikes [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warning: unpopular opinion to follow!

The fact is that with the wide variety of sizes available, a 5'2"-6'4" customer should be able to fit on a road bike from most any manufacturer. D1 pros spend more time on their bike than any of us and every year they end up on an offering provided by the bike sponsor of their team. Sure, there are some guys on custom frames, but they are not the majority.

Tri-bikes get a little more complicated, but as long as the dealer has a full size run and you are not extremely tall, short, or fat, he should be able to fit you on most any road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bikes [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The fact is that with the wide variety of sizes available, a 5'2"-6'4" customer should be able to fit on a road bike from most any manufacturer.

Ditto. Nice to hear somebody say it. There's no magic to road frame dimensions. There's always one in the ballpark. It's the seatpost, stem and cranks that make a bike fit the rider.

That said, I prefer the largest frame that will still fit me because I like a long wheelbase. I can be nicely fit on anything from a 56 to a 59, and I ride a 59. Lots of sensible people prefer the exact opposite.

Tri bike frames are a little trickier to fit depending on how low one wishes to be up front.
Quote Reply