Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Satellite radio opinions
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking of buying a satellite radio. I spend 2hrs a day in the car commuting and I am beyond sick of the radio. Lately I have been listening to books on tape, it's getting expensive and I'm running out of choices at the library. Is the satellite radio a good option? Is it worth the monthly fee? I'm in Canada and I'm wondering how much different the service is between Canada and the US.
I'm really not big into sports so having a ton of sports channels isn't a key feature for me.

If anyone has thoughts or opinions I'd love to hear them.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Satellite radio opinions [dwindrim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got Sirius and I'm hooked. I haven't listened to commercial radio in months and I don't miss it. One piece of advice I would like to offer is to avoid the FM transmitter option for your car. Spend the money for the Sirius module so you can receive Sirius directly through your head unit. I ended up buying an Alpine head unit with Sirius and I pod functions and the sound is much better than my prior hook up with the FM transmitter.

Also, www.simplyaudiobooks.com has a great selection of audio books to buy, rent or download.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I favor XM, but anyone who tells you one service suits your needs better than the other without knowing your preferences is doing you a disservice. But I do think XM has a considerable technology lead.

From my perspective the XM stations tend to have deeper playlists and thus fewer repeats, But some people think they play too much "obscure" stuff.

For non-musical content, check the websites and see who has content you prefer.

I think you can get a 3 day trial from each to stream the music if you would like to compare.

I agree that the FM modulator is the least desirable hook-up option, but for most late model cars and trucks you can get a Blitzsafe or PIE adapter to hook to your OEM head unit that goes where an external CD changer would go to let you hook a plug and play radio from either company to it; you can then listen to your radio in the car and set up to use the same one at home or work.

Both companies broadcast in Canada, but the number of channels is somewhat restricted. A lot of Canadians still have a grey market subscription with a US address so they can get the whole package.

However you go you'll like it much better than broadcast radio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have had XM Radio since 1999. My wife and daughter have it as well. Cannot comment on which service is best. Check out xmfan.com lots of discussion on the channels as well as technical issues.
Once you have sattelite radio it will be hard to go back to commercial broadcasting.

fal7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with them. "Terrestrial" radio is unlistenable. I actually received Sirius as a gift (and mostly for Howard), but find that I listen to a lot more stations than I thought I would. Many choices for talk, music and sports.

I can imagine it becoming like cable TV, where really everyone's got it.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sirius is the way to go. However, it all depends on your listening preferences.
I haven't listened to regular radio since Howard Stern switched to Sirius.
The only bad thing about Sirius is they don't not have the rights to broadcast MLB games.
My girlfriend has XM, but wants to switch over to Sirius.
I recommend the S50 radio, it's like a tivo for radio.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more. "
Quote Reply
Re: Satellite radio opinions [KLinggi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Terrestrial" radio

I thought it was called "Testicular" radio.

"I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more. "
Quote Reply
Re: Satellite radio opinions [bafmco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The MLB thing is a bummer, but Sirius does have NBA and NFL, so that's something. Oooooh and Nascar is coming. The only thing better than watching cars go around and around and around is LISTENING to cars go around and around and around...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just had a rental car over the weekend with XM. Now I'm hooked.
I am curious if they broadcast globally or just North America? I am relocating to China next month and would love to take XM along. Anybody have an idea if it is possible?
Quote Reply
Re: Satellite radio opinions [Tik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just had a rental car over the weekend with XM. Now I'm hooked.
I am curious if they broadcast globally or just North America? I am relocating to China next month and would love to take XM along. Anybody have an idea if it is possible?
Well, they're editing channels in Canada, so I'm assuming that China isn't going to be having satellite radio anytime soon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Sirius & LOVE it. My main reason was Stern, but it has a lot of other good channels also. Terrestrial radio.....never listen to it anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Satellite radio opinions [Tik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll lose a Sirius or XM signal before you get very far from the Continental US & Canada.....try Worldspace for China:

http://www.worldspace.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a Sirius S50 in my truck for 4 months and loved satelite radio. WAY better music than regular FM, and with the monthly subscription you get access to listen to most of the channels online at a computer as well. The S50 is cool because of the detachable MP3 player.

I just bought a new truck with XM, so I'm going to sell my S50. If any ST'ers want to pay $150 for it, its all yours. It will require a new antenea, about $30, because I got impatient while uninstalling the unit and just cut the antenna cable rather than unroute it from under the dash/around the window/out the brake light.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Satellite radio opinions [Colin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the response I received from XM regarding coverage.

Thank you for contacting XM Satellite Radio. Your questions and comments are
much appreciated. We apologize for the delay in our response.

XM is currently only licensed to provide service to the US (All states except
Alaska and Hawaii), its territories and adjacent waters. Outside of these areas
XM is very careful to not exceed the signal strength defined by international
regulations. In addition to domestic waterways in the continental United States,
our signal extends approximately 200 miles into U.S. coastal waters.

At some locations outside the defined service area, however, even if XM is
within the transmission limits, the signal level is still strong enough for you
to receive service. In general, it is not easy to answer coverage questions for
locations outside of the U.S. since XM has not designed the system to work and
has not tested outside the U.S. As well all XM customers need to provide a U.S.
mailing address to subscribe to our service.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to send an additional email
or you may contact a Listener Care Representative directly at 1-800-XM RADIO
(800-967-2346). For commercial accounts please contact 1-888-689-2300 or email
commercial@xmradio.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm finding that I listen to radio a lot less. Podcasting has really grown in the last year. There are so many interesting programs that you can regularly download that you just don't find on radio, satellite or otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  I have XM (came with my Element) while my parent both have Sirius and I commonly use the web broadcasts for both Sirius and XM. Both of them have their pluses and minuses...Sirius has Howard Stern, better NPR programing, Elvis station (yes that is a draw for me,) and I think their classical stations are much much better.

If you plan on using the webcast...XM is much more user friendly and also offers some stations that aren't available through your car stereo. I like it that XM tends to be a little more obscure...that is exactly why I got sick of regular radio! Try out the online free trials and let that be your guide, either way is much better than the regular radio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave
I had the same conundrum as you, a two hour commute each day. My choices for radio stations were limited and I did the audiobook thing. I went with XM after doing the online demo and absolutely love it. I am a huge news junkie and get my fix with fox news, msnbc and, my fav CNBC. I don't know about the Canada issue, but here in northern ohio I rarely loose a signal. When I'm at work I also have no issues in the buildings b/c of repeaters set up in town.

-scott t

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses, lots to think about. I'll have to do some checking around but it sounds like once you make the switch you won't be going back. Unfortunately Canada has some funny broadcasting rules so the programmes I could get will be different (less variety) than what you guys in the US get. I'll check out some of the on-line demo's.

Thanks again

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have XM and my wife has Sirius trial (we just have what our respective cars came with), so I have listened to both.

Either one is a million times better than regular radio. While we both could be happy with either one, I tend to favor XM a little bit more while my wife likes the choices on Sirius a little better. They are different but in the grand scheme of things, the differences are subtle. For example, XM has more country stations than Sirius. Sirius has more NPR/public radio type talk and news stations. XM switches 6 stations over to various types of Christmas music for the month of December while Sirius only does 2, Howard Stern vs Opey and Anthony, differnent major sports deals, etc.

Generally, I'd say that XM has a broader range of music offerings and slightly deeper playlists while Sirius sacrifices some range of types of music but has a deeper list of rock/pop type stations and more talk choices.

As others have suggested, check out the websites for the channel listings and take advantage of the streaming services they offer to see which fits your tastes best. But, you'll be happy with either one. Even though each has about 200 channels, you're listening will inevitably focus on 4 or 5 so go with the service that has those 4 or 5 stations you want. (For me the best solution would be if I could take 3 stations from each . . . )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
XM is the clear winner. They have better channel selection and over all better technology. If you have a tape cassette in you car i would suggest listening to your Satellite radio that way.
Oh yeah XM has Opie and Anthony. Spread the virius!!

-----------------------
Your mom's box
Quote Reply
Re: Satellite radio opinions [kleinrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Oh yeah XM has Opie and Anthony. Spread the virius!!
Did you actually post that on a public forum?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know that anyone listened to those two douche bags.

Quote Reply