Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ipods,imacs, and accessories rant
Quote | Reply
     First let me say I love my ipod but the ridiculous prices for any of the accessories is out of control. For example, a simple cable to connect you ipod to any stereo that you can buy pretty much anywhere for $5-$10 suddenly costs $20-$30 once they paint it white and say "for ipod." Also, while I think the new ipod speaker systems, particularily the bose and new hi-fi syste, look and sound pretty good, they are pretty much a rip-off. For $350 you can an OK receiver, decent set of bookshelf speakers, a cd player, and be able to connect your ipod with the $5 cord. For $350 you could get at least a pretty decent home theater system that you could also connect your ipod with the $5 cord....my main point is that for the same price you could at the very least get a system that isn't limited to using only your ipod with - the current ipod systems can't even get am/fm radio!

While I have been debating getting an imac, I find Apple's pricing scheme ridiculous...the products are OK just as long as you don't need to get anything else from them. Plus for $800 (vs. $1300 for an apple) I can get a compact version of the HP that has comes with a bigger hard drive (200 vs. 160), 1 gig of DRAM (vs. apples 500MB), and more convenient USB ports.
Quote Reply
Re: Ipods,imacs, and accessories rant [gj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want a child's toy, get an IBM clone. If you want a computer, buy a MAC.

As a plus, you don't have to pay for any viruses with a Mac, they don't get them (unless you count the recent "scare").
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got sucked in on the Mac -apple frenzy , Ipods are cool / they work / Big money maker for them. There are after market batteries & cables ,etc. Its all made in china with 5% better quality control.

I do like my power-book for ,photos , music , video ,,,,, For web surfing they suck , cant open video file from PC friends , Cant post photos on Internet explorer based bulletin boards .

They say they never crash or lock up . Yeah just the pin wheel of death ( kind of a stand by version of a PC hour glass for mac's )which shows its busy / confused ,up to 10 minutes . The CD drive decides when it wants to eject the disc , its takes a minute or so at times.

They are 90% perfect , I just spend 90% of my time , in that other bad 10% web. surfing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spot on Apple rant. Don't fall for the hype- the iPod family is awesome and I love mine, but there are plenty of lesser-known brand equivalent systems, some that are even superior- having such features as FM tuners in addition to space. Some are tiny cubes. Look around and you'll find things that will cure the ipod fad. As far as computers, get a PC if you want to be in control of the thing, or if you want some aftermarket software functionality. Get the mac if you want your computer to decide for you how to do things.
Quote Reply
Re: Ipods,imacs, and accessories rant [drflinn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the only thing I don't like with the iPod family is the format spec. major pain in the butt.
Quote Reply