Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mexico finds huge oil field....
Quote | Reply
"Fox Announces Major Mexico Oil Find

By MIGUEL HERNANDEZ, Associated Press WriterTue Mar 14, 9:08 PM ET

President Vicente Fox climbed aboard a drilling platform in the Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday to formally announce a new deep-water oil discovery he said could eventually yield 10 billion barrels of crude oil."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060315/ap_on_bi_ge/mexico_oil_find_1

In related news, President George W. Bush expanded the "Axis of Evil" to now include Mexico.

Quote Reply
Re: Mexico finds huge oil field.... [Demagogue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In related news, President George W. Bush expanded the "Axis of Evil" to now include Mexico.

Ha- almost funny, a more accurate statement would be.

In related news the environmentalist left expanded the"Axis of Evil" to now include Mexico

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't there about 10Billion "recoverable" in the ANWR? But that info is through the government, and they lie. I don't mean Mexico's government, I mean mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, according to the article in 8 to 10 years when they start drilling we will have 16 more months worth of oil. There is also a bunch off the coast of Florida too. I don't know why the people don't want them to tap into that though?

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Mexico finds huge oil field.... [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that the Hilton Hotel logo on the landing pad?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the problem with the oil platforms is that the aquatic life loves the environment around the platforms too much.

The boom in the fish population is an ecological disaster because they breath oxygen and return CO2 resulting in increased greenhouse gases.

Same thing goes for pipelines in Alaska. The caribou population has multiplied, again worsening the greenhouse effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine shared with me a few weeks back some interesting news he heard about oil and Colorado:

As some might now, the Secretary of the Interior is "leaving" her position (I put in quotes because she was brought in with one goal, to get drilling in ANWR passed. This is public knowledge, but I have had several people in the Interior confirm this). At least one of her Presidential Appointees is also leaving, and heading to Shell, to help head up a project to start "mining" for oil in Colorado.

This effort is actually quite intriguing. The basic gist of how they mine the oil is that they heat up the ground a few hundred degrees F, which ages the shale in the mountain side by a few hundred million years (I don't know the specifics, but this is a soon to be patented Shell process). This liquifies the oil, making is easy to extract. To prevent catastrophic effects on the environment, the area surrounding the "heat zone" is put in an ice perimeter (a borrowed principal from the "big dig"). I'm told that they have figured out how to prevent oil and toxic chemical seepage (which is important if you study the water table in that area, and the flow down effect).

I'm told that there is enough oil there to keep this process profitable for at least a decade, and it should "bear" results within 2-5 years (depending on the infrastructure piece).

I haven't done any reasearch yet on this. But I have several very good reasons to believe this.
Quote Reply
Re: Mexico finds huge oil field.... [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are almost 2 trillion barrels locked in the shale in the area which is equivalent of the Saudi reserves several times over.

As long as oil prices stay high enough to offset the cost of heating 100s of square miles of rock a mile deep to over 700 degres for about 5 years as well as wrapping that area with big freezers to freeze the surrounding ground water down to 2000 feet deep for even longer time, it's a (black) gold mine. In fact they have even considered detonating several 50 kiloton nuclear bombs to hasten the process.

I have to admit though as long as we aren't going to quit until the planet is squeezed of every last drop of oil, this appears a much better approach than the retort process. Out in Colorado they call oil shale something like "the energy of the future - it will always be that way".

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a huge environmentalist, but at some point, isn't it in the governments best interest to support renewable energy sources?

We will never run out of oil. In fifty years they will be talking about the oil that is sitting in the poures of my ass if they government would only let exxon harvest my ass-oil. When I resist having a puncturing-suction device installed in my ass they will say its gods will to have my ass used to power the nation.

But the point is, at some point the removal of the oil causes so much change to the earth that it doesnt justify the energy it produces.

Its time to move on.
Quote Reply
Re: Mexico finds huge oil field.... [nigilred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The future of oil isn't so much in drilling, but in mining. The tar sands of Alberta....the green river shale stuff....it can be dug out and processed. Hadn't heard about the method of heating the shale in situ. I'd say mining this stuff will be far more ecologically damaging than drilling ever could be, it's basically a giant strip mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty good, but still a lot smaller than the biggies doscovered 50 years ago in the Mid east ...

That'a a couple hundred days of oil for the world or 1-2 years for the U.S.

The oil sands of the Rockies may be where its at, even though they will be a huge eyesore ... Especially when oil gets close to $100/ barrell and gas goes up to $5 a gallon in a few years. Which is all but guaranteed ...
Quote Reply
Re: Mexico finds huge oil field.... [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are huge deposits of oil off both coasts of Florida, Texas, and California, along with the ANWR. The environmentalist have all of these areas so locked up that we are stuck with OPEC controlled oil supplies.

Feasable cost effective alternative sources of energy are far off in the future.

So there is no immediate solution but to continue to pay rising fuel costs until our country hits some breaking point and we decide to do something about it. I don't offer a solution just pointing out some facts.
Quote Reply
Re: Mexico finds huge oil field.... [Tik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those depoisits are not all that huge compared to the Mid East. But I bet they will be tapped when S. Arabia starts to slow down in a few years, regardless ... Production in Iran and Iraq has slowed (due to recent events), but when and if it quiets down over there, they will up production and that may help abit too ... Still, we have to get ready for transportation costs going through the roof and the eventual effect on the world economy. The world is still in denial, IMO. We're just not prepared and we've had decades to prepare.
Quote Reply
Re: Mexico finds huge oil field.... [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right on www.rand.org did a rather comphrensive study on it. Check it out for yourself.

http://www.rand.org/.../2005/RAND_MG414.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Last edited by: hasbeenswimmer: Mar 16, 06 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: Mexico finds huge oil field.... [nigilred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We will never run out of oil. In fifty years they will be talking about the oil that is sitting in the poures of my ass if they government would only let exxon harvest my ass-oil. When I resist having a puncturing-suction device installed in my ass they will say its gods will to have my ass used to power the nation.
Preserve the ANWR! Drill Nigil's ass NOW!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By all means we need to go to war with Mexico, then!!!!!

Call me Big Dick
Quote Reply
Re: Mexico finds huge oil field.... [Richard Smoker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would we go to war?

You don't think they would try to take our oil out of our Gulf, do you?
Quote Reply