Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Diaper Bags, what works for you?
Quote | Reply
My wife and I have decided to get separate diaper bags. One for me, one for her, and we'll each keep ours packed with diapers, diaper covers, clothes, etc.

We've been sharing either a small backpack or a small messenger bag, and neither of those really work too well. They'll hold everything minus one essential item, so I'm going to need to upgrade to something with a little more room.

Are there brands out there that make reliable diaper bags? This kid is almost 4 months old and we really still have no clue as to who makes quality baby stuff. We've really stayed away from the stores. I can tell you everything you want to know about a bag to hike with, but the diaper bag thing has somehow escaped me.

We tend to pack on the minimalist side, but then we use cloth diapers (which take up a little bit more space since you can't throw them away), so I guess the volume of the bag would be "average".

Thanks!

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Diaper Bags, what works for you? [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lands end has a really good diaper bag that doesn't look like one and you can put the babies name on it. Personally we only use one diaper bag. I'm not sure the need for two bags as long as the bag goes with the baby....In my opinion stay away from those trendy expensive bags, our friends have a Kate Spade or whatever bag and it holds nothing and has very little pockets for stuff.....

Quote Reply
Re: Diaper Bags, what works for you? [turn n' burn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. We truly have a need for two bags.

At least, we have a need to repack what we unpack from the bag. With two bags at home, Bryce will take Bryce's bag when he and the baby leave the house. That way, I know what's in there and what's not.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize triathlons caused incontinence - maybe I should take up curling
Quote Reply
Re: Diaper Bags, what works for you? [acronym] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big time. Check out the women's Boston marathon winner a few years ago.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, three boys later and it has turned out to be a back pack. Hands down. We use a book bag style (not a large hiking pack). It's two shoulder straps allow you to be hands free and it slips over the handles of the stroller. Once the kids get some size on them you need the room and flexibility for clothes, drinks, lunch, gloves, hats, camera, etc. One other thing we have is a fold out pad with diapers and accessories to grab out of it and go to the bathroom. Plus all diaper bags we have used did not survive, broken strap, zipper.. I cannot believe I am reviewing diaper bags
Quote Reply
Post deleted by YaHey [ In reply to ]
Re: Diaper Bags, what works for you? [tritnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually for us it's about half the price of disposable diapers. Of our friends with kids, about half use disposable, half use cloth.

I finally used a dispsoable diaper for the first time after about three months of using cloth. Can't really say that it was significantly more convenient. I'd say the biggest advantage about disposable is, well, they're disposable. So when you're out and about and you do a change, you throw it away. We have this stuff sack with a draw cord that we put the dirty diapers in, then dump those in the diaper pail when we get home.

I, too, can't believe I'm reviewing diapering methods, but my poop conversations have also increased 900% in frequency in the past few months as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that a diaper backpack is the way to go, too. Ours is from Land's End and it's great. As has already been said, the best part is being able to put it on your back and you are totally hands-free, without a big back slipping off your shoulder or around your hip with every move you make. And with a baby, you need as many hands as possible, and a nice range of motion. No, it's not as pretty and stylish as other diaper bags, but whatever. The Land's End pack comes with a snap-out zippered waterproof bag, which would be perfect for your used cloth diapers. And it has a great fold-up padded changing pad. We did buy ours in 2004, though, and I think the model has changed since then.
Quote Reply
Re: Diaper Bags, what works for you? [IronWife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a backpack is definitely the way to go, so thanks.

And I'm going to revisit the logic behind the need for two bags.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also use a backpack. One thing I looked for was bottle holder pockets on each side. I can reach back while wearing mine and grab a bottle for each child without taking the pack off. I see no reason to get a backpack that is specifically for a diaper bag. I'd just go shopping and get a cool backpack, or a small tri transition bag.
The more pockets the better, to hide food in. We go some places that want you to spend all your money on their food, Disney World for example. My backpack let me hide enough snacks for everyone even with the bag searches.
Quote Reply
Re: Diaper Bags, what works for you? [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you saying that Disney will confiscate a Cliff bar if they find it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most amusement parks frown on or will outright say no food. Here in Georgia, Six Flags and the Water park say no food. When we went to Disney, it wasn't just a bar or two. I brought enough in for four adults and four kids to snack on. We ate our main meal there, but had enough snacks to last the day. The new Georgia aquarium says no outside food or drinks also.

I think this is a great bag, and comes in enough colors for you and your wife.
TYR Transition Backpack
Zips wide open for easy access.
Four large internal zippered mesh pockets (two on each side)
Removable internal waterproof bag for wet items (Wetsuits & Race Clothes!)
External mesh helmet bungee
Front zipper pocket
Key fob
Two velcro side pockets, each large enough to hold a cd player, wallet, or a couple of cellphones
Two external mesh water bottle pockets
Expandable bottom compartment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you figure the value of your labor into the cost of cloth? Back when my first was wee, I spent way too much time looking into the cloth/disposable debate. I came away with two main points: 1) environmentally, it's more or less a wash. Either you contribute to single-point polution (disposable in landfill) or you contibute to dispersed polution (cloth via energy, resource consumption, water...). And, more damning for me, 2) the advocates of cloth diapers place zero value on my time. All the economic arguments for using cloth assume that my labor in cleaning them is free. Even if I "paid" myself minimum wage to spend time up to my elbows in sh!te, disposable cost less. Plus, I got really ticked off at the sophistry and narrow-mindedness of the cloth advocates. And furthermore, you may want to reconsider once your sprog starts eating solids.

Rant asside, and more -- but barely more --on point on the bag issue, here's a little tale. Once I parked my car at the edge of the forest to take a run with the babe in the jogger. Locked inside were two bags, one a backpack with my boy's daily accumulation of cloth diapers, and the other my messenger bag with my laptop, students' ungraded exams, and all sort of other important stuff. When I came back, I found someone had bricked my window and taken one of the bags. Yeah, it cost me a bit to replace the window, bag, diapers and bottles, but I felt like a certain sort of justice had been done.
Quote Reply
Re: Diaper Bags, what works for you? [frank_grupt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, we calculated everything and decided it's much better in everyone's interest for us to use cloth. We figured that it takes less energy to reuse a cloth diaper than it does to create and dispose of a disposable one.

Too bad that the sophistry and narrow-mindedness of cloth advocates pissed you off. We think we're being pretty open minded when we consider our options and go with what we feel is best for us and those around us.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you. One added bonus to cloth is that they make great cleaning cloths once your done with the intended use.
Quote Reply