Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question re iPod, iTunes and old computer
Quote | Reply
My Dad just got an iPod and has asked me for technical help with loading a music library. Not my area of expertise. I did some web searching and learned that his computer isn't up to the task.

I'd like some expert feedback on necessary upgrades to his computer in order to meet his iPod/iTunes needs.

His computer: circa 1998 Dell Dimension XPS R 400 MHz Pentium II, 64 MB SDRAM; Windows 98.

His music source will be 100% from a ton of CDs he has.

According to my research, iTunes requires Windows 2000 or Windows XP; 500 MHz Pentium class processor or better; 256 MB RAM.

So, it doesn't seem too costly to upgrade his computer to Windows XP (~$100) and to 256 MB RAM (~$70). However, he'd still be shy on his processor.

Would he be able to run iTunes (with slower performance)?

Does this seem like a waste of time/money?

Am I overlooking other system requirements?

His computer is fine for all his other computing needs -- he's not a heavy user.

Thanks for any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Question re iPod, iTunes and old computer [Wags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd just get a new machine. You will get way more value for an extra couple hundred dollars. His hard drive is probably way to small (and getting close to failure) for a bunch of music as well. Keep the old monitor.

For $349 you can get this one: http://www.e4me.com/...ucts.html?prod=T3304

CPU: AMD Sempron™ 3300+ Processor (64-bit)1
(128KB L2 cache, 2GHz, 1600MHz System Bus)

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition (SP2)2

Chipset: NVIDIA® nForce® 410

Memory: 256MB DDR (1 × 256MB), 400MHz (PC3200)
Expandable to 2GB

Hard Drive: 100GB (7200rpm, 2MB cache)3

Optical Drive: 48x CD-RW/DVD combo drive

Media Reader: 8-in-1 digital media manager (Secure Digital (SD), smart media, micro drive, memory stick, memory stick pro, compact flash, mulitimedia card, USB 2.0)

Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 GPU up to 128MB of shared video memory PCI-Express (PCI-E x16) slot available

Sound: 6-channel (5.1) AC'97 audio

Network: 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)

Modem: 56K ITU V.92-ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port)

Peripherals: Standard multifunction keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers

Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 (4 in back, 1 in media reader), 1 VGA external connector, 1 serial port, 1 parallel port, 2 PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse), 5 audio ports (2 in front, 3 in back)

Software: Microsoft® Works 8.0, Microsoft® Office 2003 Studen Teach Edition trial4, Microsoft® Money 2005, Microsoft® Encarta Online, Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7, CyberLink® PowerDVD with 5.1 audio support, Microsoft® Windows Media Player 10, Microsoft® Digital Image Starter Edition (includes 60-day Digital Image Standard 2006 trial), RealNetworks RealPlayer®, Quicktime, Napster 3.0 (30-day trial)5, Microsoft® Internet Explorer, AOL 9.0 (6 month membership included)6, Google Toolbar, Norton Internet Security™ 2005 (90-day complimentary trial)7 6, eMachines BigFix® 8(identifies and resolves problems that affect the system before they occur)

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: jtaylor1024: Jan 21, 06 7:56
Quote Reply