Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: if there's a god why does he let children get sick? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why does God want us to love and trust Him so much?

I am not sure where you're going with this. I guess the quick answer is that since God is the supreme good, it's good for us to trust and love Him so much. He wants us to trust and love Him because it's the best thing for us. Why do you want your kids to trust and love you? Because it's good for them, right? Because that represents the natural relationship between a child and parent, right? It's a good in and of itself, and it represents the means by which the child can realize the fullness of his own goodness, no?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: if there's a god why does he let children get sick? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why does God want us to love and trust Him so much?

I am not sure where you're going with this. I guess the quick answer is that since God is the supreme good, it's good for us to trust and love Him so much. He wants us to trust and love Him because it's the best thing for us. Why do you want your kids to trust and love you? Because it's good for them, right? Because that represents the natural relationship between a child and parent, right? It's a good in and of itself, and it represents the means by which the child can realize the fullness of his own goodness, no?
That's a good answer. I'm not going anywhere. I know you have a hard time believing that.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: if there's a god why does he let children get sick? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relax- I *assumed* that your admonition to TT to "dig deeper" indicated that you were waiting for him to arrive at a conclusion you've already reached. I'm not trying to pick a fight. Believe it or not. ;)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: if there's a god why does he let children get sick? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree w/ Ken. This is a good answer.

we, as parents, set up guidelines and instructions for our children not so that we can dominate over them, but so we can protect them and minimalize their pain and suffering. Looking at my life and the lives of my children, almost every time we've been "hurt", we were doing something we "should not have been doing". We want our kids to listen to us, b/c we know more than they do and we know how to keep them out of trouble.

Yet, we love them enough to give them freedom to make their own choices. I always reflect back to "Finding Nemo", when Dory says, "If you never let anything happen to him, then nothing will ever happen to him." Therein lies the struggle of parenting. You can't have complete protection and freedom/experiences. Darnit.

-----------------------

As for Madagascar ... we "move it" also.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Relax- I *assumed* that your admonition to TT to "dig deeper" indicated that you were waiting for him to arrive at a conclusion you've already reached. I'm not trying to pick a fight. Believe it or not. ;)
What you call "admonition" I call "encouragement". You gotta give me some benefit of the doubt, Thomas. (wow, that really is your name. How appropriate!)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: if there's a god why does he let children get sick? [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you don't believe, that's fine but saying those of us who do are twisting things that fly into YOUR definition of reality, is the empitome of arrogance. "

Pit calling the kettle black with that statement.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: if there's a god why does he let children get sick? [el fuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huge question. This is a question we are best off answering individually as we each ascribe our own meaning to the events around us for the purpose of explaining things that cannot be explained or have no conspicuous, empiracle answers.

If you examine the very history and origin of religions in an archeological perspective you see that the earliest religions and belief systems attempted to provide answers for this very same set of questions: Why do certain things happen? Is there a cause/affect relationship? Early religions focused on the rudiments of existence: Why does the sun rise? Why do storms come? Why do we die and what happens when we do?

Inherently, there will always be a large portion of the population who needs more regimented and specific answers to these questions and more complex ones: What happens when we do something to harm another? What happens to another person when they harm us?

Some people seem comfortable with the explaination that things happen for no particular reason, as a matter of happenstance, and it is incumbent upon us to ascribe meaning to them and respond (what we feel) is appropriately.

One thing I have observed is that the more we learn, perhaps the greater insight we gain into the motives behind belief systems. The more we experience the extremes and the mean of human experience, the greater we are called upon to a struggle for explaination or a movement toward acceptance. It's our choice.

I do personally believe there is a higher order to existence. My motives are an attempt on my own (personal) part to set order to things. It is, effectively, a filing system. I don't ascribe to any specific set of organized religious beliefs, but I believe there is a higher order and the common vernacular I use to refer to that order is the word, "God".

I figure, God puts us here through some rather remarkable but nonetheless sort of random happenstance of biology. Same with every other creature- however small or great. No one creature is more or less important. Bad things happen, and with terrifying frequency and numbing randomness. God gave us the capability, more or less, to cope with this. It is up to us to use that capability. We must ascribe meaning (or not) and select an appropriate response.

I don't know why children get sick, but it is what God intended I believe. He also intended for them to get well, and they do some times. I don't know the reasons, it is, in military terms, "above my pay grade": I lack the intellectual capacity to understand the reasons. So, I don't bother. Instead, I do my best to cope. I do my best to summon the strength, courage, temperance and what wisdom God granted me and use that to the best of my ability. The rest I cannot influence or control. It is, to use a popular cliche', in God's hands.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: if there's a god why does he let children get sick? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The easiest explanation is that getting sick, having bad days, losing things that are important to us, etc, etc are all parts of living the full experience of human life. We are not perfect beings, and experiencing only positive life events wouldn't produce a very well rounded person. Obviously, if you believe in God, the answer would have to get more complicated from there, but I think that sums it up.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: if there's a god why does he let children get sick? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THis is an interesting answer to me in light of the transition in the Bible from the OT to the NT. OT faith in God was comprised of a set of requirements, a system of rules and regulations controlling faith and love of God was guided by adherence to these rules. Then comes along Jesus who says "Forget this nonsense about rules and regulations, just have love and compassion." Jesus through many stories pointed out that the rules that were previously used to guide Jewish faith were no longer what should guide that faith (typically by pointing out the Pharisees as a model not needed to be followed, especially important since they were considered uber-pious during Jesus' time).

Jesus said that man should aim to be infinitely compassionate, but full well knowing we would fall short. Seems to me that if infinite compassion is our goal, then that is a subtle way of saying "Psst, God is infinitely compassionate." Maybe our anxiety about being "loving enough" or "trusting enough" or "loyal enough" are missing the mark. What I'm trying to say is that Jesus was supposed to be this sign, in human form, that the rules of the game have totally changed. My view at present is that while the OT stories provide very good advice on how to live one's life, it's not a particulary good model for how God is going to interact with man. Gone is the God who smotes people for a lack of adherence to his rules. The "good news" is that God loves us because, and for no other reason. (though of course this is all just my opinion, and therefore highly flawed for a number of reasons)

I think it's a very noble cause for man to try and figure out the "rules" of the game, but we have to keep in mind we are an extremely limited being in comparison to an infinitely wise and omni-temporal God (or spirit, or energy, etc). There might be reasons for things happening that we can't even begin to fathom. There also might be no reasons at all. Just because there may in fact be a God doesn't not mean that there is a reason for anything or everything happening. I am of course no ludite, I'm not saying we should stop trying to figure out as much as possible. But to assume that we can nail down the reasons that God does anything is probably worth a good chuckle to any omnipotent being.
Quote Reply
Re: if there's a god why does he let children get sick? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But to assume that we can nail down the reasons that God does anything is probably worth a good chuckle to any omnipotent being.

In 1 Corinthians, Paul says, "no one knows the thoughts of God, except the Spirit of God", so he would agree with you.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: if there's a god why does he let children get sick? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I wrote the "Love" and "Trust" part (IMO, they are inseperable) as being most important to God, I had in mind the verses from the NT when Jesus reveals what the two greatest commandments are.

You bring up a lotta points of interest in your post. Some good thread topics in there.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: if there's a god why does he let children get sick? [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these [things].
Quote Reply
Re: if there's a god why does he let children get sick? [el fuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a nice booklet from a Christian perspective

http://www.rbc.org/ds/q0106/

When bad things come my way I try to assume the attitude of Job from the bible. (It doesnt always work but I try) He said (paraphrased) "Naked I came from the womb and naked I will return, the Lord gives and the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord."

Re: if there's a god why does he let children get sick? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even Job skirted the fine line of accussing God of causing the bad things to happen. Job never actually came to blame God, but certainly did make repeated attempts to "call God into court" to plead his case that these bad things happeneing to him were not justified.

IMO, Job represents the frustration, confusion, and eventual Trust that Christians often display in times of crisis and hardship. We are all human.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: if there's a god why does he let children get sick? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was his old lady that told him to "curse God, then die." Good thing he didn't go with that plan.

Prev Next