Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hottie thread predictions and stats
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I have been a) a little bored b) geeky c) compulsively curious. You decide.

I predict that the Hottie thread will reach 1,000,000 views on Monday, February 13, 2006 around 3 in the afternoon. It will have about 3769 posts.

Current activity is around 120 views per hour! (Based on daily results). Posts are added at about one every 3.6 hrs.

Now, one last comment on the prediction, I invoke the Heisenberg Uncertainity Principle which basically states that observing an object affects said object. I may fine tune the prediction in a week. Then again, I probably won't.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Hottie thread predictions and stats [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would take into account that as it draws closer to the 1 M mark, the volume of post will rise in anticipation of this remarkable event.

Spaticus will likely encourage the extra amount of post with some unprecidented Hotties! (at least I hope so:)

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: Hottie thread predictions and stats [cvillatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spaticus will likely encourage the extra amount of post with some unprecidented Hotties! (at least I hope so:)

We can certainly all hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hottie thread predictions and stats [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he is the Hottie master after all..who are we that we should doubt him
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can say with all honesty - I love the Hottie Thread

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country" JFK - Replace 'country' with the company you work for, friends, family, and strangers and the world will be a much better place.
Quote Reply
Re: Hottie thread predictions and stats [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he is the Hottie master after all..who are we that we should doubt him

Well, at the very least, I think we could write his name correctly, eh Sparticus?

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
Quote Reply
Re: Hottie thread predictions and stats [diamonddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am surprised nobody finished doing the math. Estimating 3769 posts by the time the Hottie thread hits a million views in a month means about 160 posts in the next 30 days, of which, Sparticus will probably provide 75% or 120. I would guess that he averages at least two pics per post. So, who said the winter off season was boring?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ok, so I have been a) a little bored b) geeky c) compulsively curious. You decide.

I predict that the Hottie thread will reach 1,000,000 views on Monday, February 13, 2006 around 3 in the afternoon. It will have about 3769 posts.

Current activity is around 120 views per hour! (Based on daily results). Posts are added at about one every 3.6 hrs.

Now, one last comment on the prediction, I invoke the Heisenberg Uncertainity Principle which basically states that observing an object affects said object. I may fine tune the prediction in a week. Then again, I probably won't.
I predict Tuesday, January 17th at 10 am Pacific Time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just so you know...

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously measured with arbitrarily high precision. That is, you cant know both the instantaneous position and velocity of a subatomic particle.

You are probably referring to the Hawthorne Effect, which refers to the initial improvement in a process of production caused by the obtrusive observation of that process.
Quote Reply
Re: Hottie thread predictions and stats [nickgrant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just so you know...

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously measured with arbitrarily high precision. That is, you cant know both the instantaneous position and velocity of a subatomic particle.

You are probably referring to the Hawthorne Effect, which refers to the initial improvement in a process of production caused by the obtrusive observation of that process.
If I recall correctly from physics and chem, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle has to do with the probability of determining the location of sub-atomic particles, especially electrons. I think the principle discusses how you can not know 100% where the electron is located, rather you can state with varying degrees of probability where the electron may be, within the "electron cloud." It might also touch on the fact that a single electron can be in two places at once.
Quote Reply
Re: Hottie thread predictions and stats [nickgrant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, did a little checking, and I stand corrected.

HUP states that the simultaneous measurement of both the position and momentum of a particle cannot be made to an accuracy greater than Planck's constant h. This only affects objects in a quantum mechanical world, i.e. very very small, and or very, very fast objects. So far, so good. However, I was also taught that an associated property of HUD was that the act of measuring very very small objects affected the properties one was trying to measure, and thus my reference.

However, according to Wikipedia:

The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics is sometimes erroneously explained by claiming that the measurement of position necessarily disturbs a particle's momentum. Heisenberg himself may have initially offered explanations which suggested this view. That this disturbance does not describe the essence of the uncertainty principle in current theory has been demonstrated above. The fundamentally non-classical characteristics of the uncertainty measurements in quantum mechanics were clarified due to the EPR paradox which arose from Einstein attempting to show flaws in quantum measurements that used the uncertainty principle. Instead of Einstein succeeding in showing uncertainty was flawed, Einstein guided researchers to examine more closely what uncertainty measurements meant and led to a more refined understanding of uncertainty. Prior to the publication of the EPR paper in 1935, a measurement was often visualized as a physical disturbance inflicted directly on the measured system, being sometimes illustrated as a thought experiment called Heisenberg's microscope. For instance, when measuring the position of an electron, one imagines shining a light on it, thus disturbing the electron and producing the quantum mechanical uncertainties in its position. Such explanations, which are still encountered in popular expositions of quantum mechanics, are debunked by the EPR paradox, which shows that a "measurement" can be performed on a particle without disturbing it directly, by performing a measurement on a distant entangled particle.

Thank you, I have learned something new today.

Quote Reply
Re: Hottie thread predictions and stats [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How sad. As of 12:23 a.m. Sunday morning, the number of views is increasing at 10,550 per hour. Somebody is corrupting the most sacred of threads in the Lavender Room. It's a shame that it won't get to 1MM legitimately. Kind of like a thread on PEDs.

Bummer, man.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed it was going up, so I adjusted my prediction time to next week; however, it looks like that might even be wrong. It looks to be holding steady now. Hopefully we don't wake up tomorrow with it over the 1,000,000 mark. It would be sad to see it go without celebration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is going to happen when the Hottie Thread turns 1,000,000 views? Will it roll over? Or will the column get wider (or the numbers get smaller)?

Re: Hottie thread predictions and stats [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried everyway I can think of to post a pic but nothing seems to work.
Quote Reply
Re: Hottie thread predictions and stats [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is going to happen when the Hottie Thread turns 1,000,000 views? Will it roll over? Or will the column get wider (or the numbers get smaller)?

Hmm, sorry, but you are asking the wrong person. My expertise is/was limited to predictions.

What is going to happen when the Hottie Thread turns 1,000,000 views It usually goes platinum doesn't it?

;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How sad. As of 12:23 a.m. Sunday morning, the number of views is increasing at 10,550 per hour. Somebody is corrupting the most sacred of threads in the Lavender Room. It's a shame that it won't get to 1MM legitimately. Kind of like a thread on PEDs.

Have you been looking at the product lately? No wonder people are coming in for a second look.

Long Live Sparticus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hottie thread predictions and stats [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like today or tomorrow will be the big day when the Hottie Thread reaches 1,000,000 views. You can tell your grand kids you were there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan will make a post to the Hottie Thread.

It will happen on a Tuesday, Sparticus favorite day!!!
Quote Reply