Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMW Question
Quote | Reply
In the next month or 2 I will be buying myself a used BMW through auction. I have narrowed it down to 2 models, a 330i or a 530i.
Fortunately I have a friend with a dealers license to purchase the car from an auto auction. It will be a factory certified lease return and a second vehicle for myself. The car will be 2003 or newer with 30k miles or less. Price around $23K for the 330 or $26K for the 530. Only major stipulation for me is I want it to be a manual transmission and a 6 cylinder for fuel economy.

So anybody with experience in either model or input is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: BMW Question [Tik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd go w/the 530. More room for race gear :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please note that the milage on the 540 and 530 (and X5 3.0 and X5 4.4) are the exact same. This is less than 2mpg from the 330. If you want a fun car get the 330 but yes, the interior is small and the back seats wont really fit an adult. The same engine in the 530 is hardly a capable engine and for the weight of the 530, if gas milage is your only concern - get the 540.

I also presume that you are looking at the 330i. Nice car, you will need snow tires for sure if you live north - BMW also has (when I owned them) a higher cost of ownership than my Mercedes and or Audi will have. BMW even puts idiot lights on the damn brake pads that a dealer will love to charge you to turn off. The NAV (newer one) is pretty good but not as nice as what I have seen in Mercedes, Honda or Infinity.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Last edited by: Record10Carbon: Jan 4, 06 13:56
Quote Reply
Re: BMW Question [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understood that the V8 in the 540 had some serious maintenance issues that the V6 in the 530 didn't have. Have you heard this?
Quote Reply
Re: BMW Question [Matt Boutte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not heard of any issues, I know that the M5 had some issues with their eight pack of throttle bodies, but that is not the 540 engine, and what do BMW owners expect when they are on the bleeding edge of technology!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got 318i convertible and love it.

It's 4 cylinder automatic and has just past 100,000 miles and going strong. i'll prob keep it for another 100,000 miles.

I don't look after it - it looks after itself.

out of the 330i and the 530i i would go with the 3 Series. they are just fantastic cars.

A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the 530i as it will hold its value much better in about 4 years when you get rid of it. Classy car with a little more room (not as much more as you may think). Plenty fun to drive with a stick (the only way for a BMW). 3 series should only be sold as a coupe (IMO). I don't care for the 3 series sedan. Never had any issues with my previous 3s (1997 328is and 2003 M3)

Re: BMW Question [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't go wrong with either car - the 3 or 5 series. The 3 is more fun to drive, the 5 is comfortable and capable. My '97 528 w/ 125,000 miles has been the best car I've owned, and I've owned 'em all. Much of the German engineering isn't evident all the time in your face, but when you need to stop fast, swerve, or do something out of the ordinary, the car performs. The 50/50 weight distribution and dedicated snows make the car handle better than my wife's Jeep in the snow.

The original brakes went 95,000 miles and the battery lasted to 105,000 miles (7 years). I get 28 mpg and the engine has plenty of pull, no, not like an 8 in the 540, but strong and smooth.

Research the models to see the options available and test drive a few. Good luck.

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Re: BMW Question [Hed Case] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice. I'm still torn but know a little more about each model. The 330 will be the XI version. The 530 will be the I. I'm sure both are very nice cars, I'm fighting my head on sporty semi fast, or comfortable and a little more room.

Anyway thanks,
Quote Reply