Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why all the hype...
Quote | Reply
....over New Year's? I mean really, what is the big deal? Other than an excuse to get dressed up and drink (and who really needs an excuse for that), why do people get so excited about New Year's? I was watching a couple of the celebrations on TV last night, and people were going crazy, specifically about 2006. Not crazy in a general party way, but specifically about the New Year. Do people really think their lives will change appreciably because of the digit they write on their checks? Just curious as someone who's never really seen what the big deal is.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Why all the hype... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get hyped about it, but I enjoy New Year's Eve. It's fun for me to think back about what has happened in the last year and what might be coming in the new one. If you're happy with your life, then it's a time to enjoy that. If you're not happy with your life, then it's a time to start fresh and make changes so that you're not in the same place at the end of the next year.

D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think this year was anything special " 2006 " , as with Christmas its a mile marker on the road of life. Parties with family and coworkers at the top of my , lets call or visit list. I like the yearly round up of stories and notable people who passed away.

But weaving through a crowd of people with a drink in my hand , dressed up ---- NO . Its another commericalized day to generate $$ and make business contacts.

Most of my gang ,lay low at home avoiding 502 tickets .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats a check?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah I'm with ya, people are just f'in crazy, I've heard tell there are some who will swim bike and run 140.6 miles ALL in one day!!! then be all happy about it!!! go figure.

Whereas, I'm not into the party for the new year (anymore), I'm into the spirit of it. It's a big deal a trip around Sol. Hella long way around that thing at this orbit.

And though we are not agriculturally based anymore as a society there's something about winter (even here in Hawaii), when what was, has past, and we're thankful for the bounty and can celebrate the last trip and all that went on... to me that's quite significant, and to dream of the possibility that awaits on this next trip... fascinating.
Quote Reply
Re: Why all the hype... [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in line with what Dawn says. I never go out on New Year's Eve to a big party, but rather go to dinner with friends and then home before the craziness begins. Last night I actually stayed up past midnight for the first time in about 6 years. And then we promptly lost electricity here, so I guess that was a sign to go to sleep. ;-)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried... .tried all day not to post this.. but...can't ....hold back....
"Cheer up, emoboy"
Quote Reply