Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calling all pilots and people with GPS experience/knowlege...
Quote | Reply
A buddy of mine wants to become a pilot, and has been told by the school to get a GPS (they didn't give any details). I'm guessing that he doesn't need a fancy one that you can download street maps to, or that has an altimiter feature (I would hope that he has a dedicated one!) but I don't know jack about GPS'.

ST however, knows all. So lay it on me my brothers and sisters - give me all I'll ever need to know about GPS'.

Thanks,

K

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all pilots and people with GPS experience/knowlege... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. The schools requirement to get a GPS from the start sounds strange to me but most of my experience is with the military. I would think that is something that the school would provide/have installed in their aircraft already and then after some time and experimenting the "student" would get their own if they wanted to.

As far as GPS with aviation, a non-corruptable database type that is specific for aviation would be best but also most expensive. If it is being used for back-up navigation in VMC then any GPS should work fine but if the intent is to use it IMC (in the clouds where you can't "see") then something made for that would be necessary.

Can you get more details about why his school is telling him to get one?

Michael

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all pilots and people with GPS experience/knowlege... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I concur w/ the last reply. Why the hell would the school tell him to get a GPS before he's even certified?

I'd strongly advise him to hold off - he won't need one for some time (and he'll be a better pilot for learning how to read a VFR sectional - err, 'map'), and he'll have plenty of other expenses right up front - headset, kneeboard, books, and 40 or so hours of rental time.

Then... after he learns to read instruments and becomes IFR qualled... THEN he might consider shopping for his own personal GPS.

--------------------------------------------
"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." - Army General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

P R O D U C T S

Garmin GPSMAP 196 (Americas)
Our Price: $799.00

Detailed moving map graphics, HSI steering guidance, a Jeppesen database, and all the other pilot-friendly features you'd expect from Garmin.I have flown a few thousand hours with most of the cheaper Non aircraft units, which work well. But these newer units have far more aviation spesific funtions. I agree hold off on the purchase. These units shine in training, by keeping you more aware of borders of a & b class air space in hazy weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PRIVATE PILOT Practical Test Standards (FAA-S-8081-14A - U.S. Department of Transportation)

Okay, lets see if we can put this in simple terms, a quick search of the FAA's Private Pilot Practical Test Standards - aka PTS (FAA-S-8081-14A - U.S. Department of Transportation - http://flighttraining.aopa.org/...s/faa-s-8081-14a.pdf) - for keywords such as GPS and Global Positioning returns exactly 0 results. So I would conclude that to mean that the FAA does not expect a candidate for a private pilot certificate to exhibit knowledge or demonstrate competence in the operation and use of a GPS receiver and therefore there is no reason for a student pilot to obtain such a device although I suppose that a GPS could fall under the requirements for section 2-22 of the PTS:
  • B. TASK: NAVIGATION SYSTEMS AND RADAR SERVICES

(AMEL and AMES)REFERENCES: FAA-H-8083-3, AC 61-23/FAA-H-8083-25;

NavigationEquipment Operation Manuals, AIM.

Objective. To determine that the applicant:

1. Exhibits knowledge of the elements related to navigation systems and radar services.

2. Demonstrates the ability to use an airborne electronic navigation system.

3. Locates the airplane's position using the navigation system.

4. Intercepts and tracks a given course, radial or bearing, as appropriate.

5. Recognizes and describes the indication of station passage, if appropriate.

6. Recognizes signal loss and takes appropriate action.

7. Uses proper communication procedures when utilizing radar services.

8. Maintains the appropriate altitude, ±200 feet (60 meters) and heading ±15°

It seems to me that since your friend has been 'instructed' by said flight school to obtain an expensive bit of equipment for which there may not be any real need during training for the Private Pilot certificate, if I were your friend, I would be questioning this schools curiculum a little more closely and request the reasoning why a GPS is recommended. Just curious, did your friend apply for and get approved for a obnoxiously huge loan from Key Bank in order to embark on a course of training aimed at putting him in the cockpit of an airliner in under 18-months?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Dec 27, 05 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of GPSs out there that are customed designed for pilots. They work great. My father bought a very useful one nearly 20 years ago.

I don't see why such an instrument would be needed as a first step, or even an early step in pilot training. Seems odd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested in hearing the flight school's rationale for telling its students they need to purchase a GPS. Unless they know their radios/navs are CRAP and frequently fail, there shouldn't be a need for a GPS unit until beginning instrument training. Money would be better spent on a Sporty's portable comm/nav radio.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A buddy of mine wants to become a pilot, and has been told by the school to get a GPS (they didn't give any details).
and what school would that be? that is quite bizarre that a school would want him to "get a gps", but yet not give him any details, as there almost a million GPSs out there, with a multitude of features and some designed for aviation and some not. is this a legit request for info?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not getting many responses other than people debating the merit of a gps request...

All the chopper pilots i've flown with have units that are able to sit flat on top of the dash (with some velcro for backup) - which my hand held gps certainly can't do. Look for that feature as a good starting point. The software that comes with Garmins is really good too - very user friendly (note - my Garmin is one of their cheapest models, and it comes with the ability to zoom into my location on a very detailed map).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback everyone - I too questioned the purchase (but more because I figred they'd have a specific model they want him to use - I know very little about flying instruments).

I'll ask him more questions and point him to this thread, where hopefully he can answer better than I.

ST knows everything! :D

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply