Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lack of DACA fix - helping or hurting GOP/Dems?
Quote | Reply
Trump appears to be increasingly worried about the lack of a DACA fix. Obviously he's trying to blame Democrats, but the fact that he keeps Tweeting about it suggests he and the GOP are worried that it will be an(other) issue they lose votes over in the November mid-terms. I think he thought he was being clever ending Obama's temporary DACA solution, but it's backfired and now the mess is on his desk.

Some of his recent Tweets:

Feb 16:
Cannot believe how BADLY DACA recipients have been treated by the Democrats...totally abandoned! Republicans are still working hard.

Feb 17:
Just like they donā€™t want to solve the DACA problem, why didnā€™t the Democrats pass gun control legislation when they had both the House & Senate during the Obama Administration. Because they didnā€™t want to, and now they just talk!

Feb 24:
Dems are no longer talking DACA! ā€œOut of sight, out of mind,ā€ they say. DACA beneficiaries should not be happy. Nancy Pelosi truly doesnā€™t care about them. Republicans stand ready to make a deal!

Mar 5:
Itā€™s March 5th and the Democrats are nowhere to be found on DACA. Gave them 6 months, they just donā€™t care. Where are they? We are ready to make a deal!

Mar 6:
Total inaction on DACA by Dems. Where are you? A deal can be made!

Federal Judge in Maryland has just ruled that ā€œPresident Trump has the right to end DACA.ā€ President Obama had 8 years to fix this problem, and didnā€™t. I am waiting for the Dems, they are running for the hills!

Mar 19:
The Democrats do not want to help DACA. Would be so easy to make a deal!

Mar 21:
Democrats refused to take care of DACA. Would have been so easy, but they just didnā€™t care. I had to fight for Military and start of Wall.

Mar 23:
DACA was abandoned by the Democrats. Very unfair to them! Would have been tied to desperately needed Wall.

I am considering a VETO of the Omnibus Spending Bill based on the fact that the 800,000 plus DACA recipients have been totally abandoned by the Democrats (not even mentioned in Bill) and the BORDER WALL, which is desperately needed for our National Defense, is not fully funded.
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of DACA fix - helping or hurting GOP/Dems? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the lack of DACA deportations, as a fix, is hurting the GOP, but that same lack is probably helping the Democrats, or as I call them "The Young Communist Party of America." ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of DACA fix - helping or hurting GOP/Dems? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think given the popularity across the country to let the Dreamers stay (70%+ want them to be allowed to stay), if they began being deported then it would have an even bigger negative impact on Trump/GOP.
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of DACA fix - helping or hurting GOP/Dems? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, you are completely misreading it (and you have for months). Trump doesn't care about DACA AT ALL. The GOP doesn't care AT ALL. Dems care, but they already all of the pro-DACA votes anyway. Trump "thinks" (using that term very loosely) that he can either get his wall (Ha!) or actually convince the truly brain-dead to blame Dems. He cares about the wall and reducing immigration, period. DACA is the only arrow left in his nearly empty quiver to accomplish those goals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well two big things were left out of this bill, the DACA reform stuff and Trumps big beautiful wall funding. As I recall in the last negotiations they were kind of tied together, so they were left out together it seems to be dealt with later on. But I think the dems are quite cagey here in that since Trump nullified Obama's bill to protect them, now he needs a deal pronto before some more fathers and mothers who have been here for 20+ years, own a business and employ Americans, get deported. It really is quite bad news when the families come on and tell their stories, sort of punches a giant hole in his bad hombres comments. He doesn't want them sent back anymore than most people do, but since he signed his bill not to protect them, it has become a much bigger bargaining chip for the other side.

Another deal gone bad, but there must be some winning in there for him somewhere????
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of DACA fix - helping or hurting GOP/Dems? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
No, you are completely misreading it (and you have for months). Trump doesn't care about DACA AT ALL. The GOP doesn't care AT ALL. Dems care, but they already all of the pro-DACA votes anyway. Trump "thinks" (using that term very loosely) that he can either get his wall (Ha!) or actually convince the truly brain-dead to blame Dems. He cares about the wall and reducing immigration, period. DACA is the only arrow left in his nearly empty quiver to accomplish those goals.

That's pretty much how I read it too. But I think he (and the GOP) ARE beginning to care about the Dreamers, not necessarily the actual people, but how failing to sort the issue out will affect voters in November.

I agree with Monty. He thought he was being clever in creating a bargaining chip with the Dems, but it's backfired because the Dems are sitting back and saying: "you created this mess, you fix it, and if you don't, 70% of Americans will blame you." Now he's stuck in the corner with no solution, he's trying to Tweet the blame on the Dems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, yes "70%, blah, blah, blah". We discussed this before, right? Only a small sliver of folks actually CARE about the issue. You said the exact same things month ago, believing that the awesome power of this "70% support ( it actually shrunk to ~57%)" would lead to legislation. Average folks don't really care, only partisans do, and the sides have been drawn. Please use the results of the past to re-evaluate your assumptions.

As to the endless repetition of this talking point, he's very good at pre-emptive tweet-blizzards (the best, the very best).
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of DACA fix - helping or hurting GOP/Dems? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People will care a lot more when they see (more) news reports on TV of these people being deported.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some legal expert help me out. I am reading conflicting articles about Trump's ability to reinstate DACA through an executive order. If he, in fact, does have the power to reinstate this via executive order, then the problem could be solved in the manner his predecessor created it.

March 5th was the deadline for Congress to act. They did not.

Two conflicting articles below:

Quote:
There were some indications last year that Trump would be willing to extend DACA if Congress were unable to agree on how to legislate the program that until now was a unilateral plan put in place by former President Barack Obama.
But in a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, Nielsen said she doesn't believe Trump has that option to help younger immigrants brought to the U.S. illegally as children.

"I believe the Attorney General has made it clear that he believes such exercise is unconstitutional," she said after Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., asked her if Trump has the legal authority to extend it. "It's for Congress to fix."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...aca-past-march-5-dhs

Quote:

But some legal experts say the office of the presidency possesses the authority to change a program termination deadline set via an executive order. After all, a president would not be altering an existing law.
ā€œThe original deadline was arbitrary and he could set another arbitrary deadline,ā€ said Andrew Rudalevige, a professor at Maineā€™s Bowdoin College who specializes in studying the presidency.
ā€œWhile you could argue the DACA program should have ended immediately ā€” as unlawful ā€” once you set a transition deadline in the first place, thereā€™s no real bar to saying that ā€˜administrative convenienceā€™ or some such mandates an extension of that deadline,ā€ Rudalevige added.
https://www.rollcall.com/...deadline-experts-say

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:

So...he does care? :)

In politics I don't think we can't reserve the term "care" for just things that a politician truly believes the government should do. Every issue has layers of agendas. I don't mean that as a pejorative. The larger and more complex the governing body, the more "politics" are needed to enact an agenda. Just the way it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
People will care a lot more when they see (more) news reports on TV of these people being deported.

Maybe, maybe not. I remain skeptical. We shall see.... BTW, do you really think that large-scale deportations will happen? Trump gains undying devotion with his base by revoking DACA, and avoids pushback by publicly complaining about California, rather than deporting folks. He continues to stoke animosity toward immigrants, reducing the number of folks who are willing to come here, and he then takes full credit for lower immigration (as if that was a good thing). Mission Accomplished!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
BTW, do you really think that large-scale deportations will happen?

Honestly don't know. I assume not, but clearly many are being deported. TBH I don't fully understand why some are being deported and most aren't. Are they ones who failed to register?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I said several months ago that there was no way NO WAY the Democrats would allow any solution on immigration/DACA before the 2018 mid-terms. That is the wedge issue they are going to focus on and solving it removes that campaign issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of DACA fix - helping or hurting GOP/Dems? [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree.

What's odd is that back in Dec-Feb (during the rolling shutdown threats ) many pundits would say the lack of a DACA deal was hurting the Dems, but I never really saw that. I suppose insofar as they were being seen to potentially shut down the govt over it, that may have been true (which was why the GOP kept saying the Dems were putting Dreamers ahead of the military, despite military spending never being in threat), but I think the Dems were playing the long game and knew they could afford to wait and ultimately the situation would turn in their favor.
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of DACA fix - helping or hurting GOP/Dems? [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
I said several months ago that there was no way NO WAY the Democrats would allow any solution on immigration/DACA before the 2018 mid-terms. That is the wedge issue they are going to focus on and solving it removes that campaign issue.

There were 2 bipartisan DACA deals that were shot down by Trump.

ā€œRead the transcript.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of DACA fix - helping or hurting GOP/Dems? [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

There were 2 bipartisan DACA deals that were shot down by Trump.

When Trump was about to support a DACA deal Dems freaked out and changed the deal to something he couldnā€™t reasonably sign. The Dems donā€™t want this solved before the midterms. It is their issue for that campaign. Watch.
Last edited by: Spiridon Louis: Mar 23, 18 15:40
Quote Reply
Re: Lack of DACA fix - helping or hurting GOP/Dems? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
oldandslow wrote:

So...he does care? :)

In politics I don't think we can't reserve the term "care" for just things that a politician truly believes the government should do. Every issue has layers of agendas. I don't mean that as a pejorative. The larger and more complex the governing body, the more "politics" are needed to enact an agenda. Just the way it is.

Bottom line is Trump is once again playing to his followers. To do anything else would be a tactical mistake.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:

When Trump was about to support a DACA deal Dems freaked out and changed the deal to something he couldnā€™t reasonably sign.

Oh come on. It was the hardline Republicans who freaked out. The Durbin/Graham plan was good to go until a bunch hardline Republicans got to Trump, and he rejected it. (at the time of the "shithole countries" comment. The hardliners also freaked out when Trump met with "Chuck and Nancy" without any hardline minders in the room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
When Trump was about to support a DACA deal Dems freaked out and changed the deal to something he couldnā€™t reasonably sign.
Bullshit. The conservative wing of the House will NEVER let DACA happen. Trump can't even hold a coherent opinion on anything for more than a few hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I donā€™t think the Rs are worried about losing votes over the issue. Itā€™s more that the lack of a fix will increase D turnout. It may also suppress the R base who want to see deportations.

ā€œRead the transcript.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:
Bullshit. The conservative wing of the House will NEVER let DACA happen. Trump can't even hold a coherent opinion on anything for more than a few hours.

Bullshit the Dems will never build the wall, which is what Schumer had on the table. Schumer's play was to offer the wall for a deal on the dreamers. He figured Trump would never agree so when Trump did Schumer had to blow it up.

Conservatives might not want a deal on DACA -- there's a lot to be said for insisting immigrants come here legally. But the story is that Dems, who profess to be for the dreamers, don't want a deal either. They want this as a campaign issue, not a problem solved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares what Trump (ever) says? The right wing of the GOP caucus in the House NEVER would have agreed to any deal that Trump would push, or that the Senate would pass (and already has passed). The conservative wing and their core voters are defined by rigid opposition to ... what's that word again, begins with an "A".... Oh yeah,.... AMNESTY. I dare you to listen to an hour-long conservative talk radio host and not get that point rammed home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If all the Republicans supported the deal, what difference does it make if the Dems freaked out?

Quote Reply