Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hilly Vanilli riders: question about your power
Quote | Reply
for those of you who rode the ride today, thanks! and i have this question. assuming that was a fairly stiff ride for you - or, for those for whom that was a fairly stiff ride, how does your average power (for 70 minutes) for that ride compare to your FTP? i assume it's a bit lower than your FTP. is it 95 percent? 90 percent? 85 percent? or what? thanks in advance.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Hilly Vanilli riders: question about your power [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
for those of you who rode the ride today, thanks! and i have this question. assuming that was a fairly stiff ride for you - or, for those for whom that was a fairly stiff ride, how does your average power (for 70 minutes) for that ride compare to your FTP? i assume it's a bit lower than your FTP. is it 95 percent? 90 percent? 85 percent? or what? thanks in advance.

I had to bail early, but I averaged 218W for 50 minutes. FTP is in the 225-230 range, on 68 kg. It didn't help that I had to physically adjust the trainer a couple of times and that kicked me out of the C peloton... the group draft effect is pretty strong.

All in all a good ride and pretty much on par with my expectations for a ride advertised at 2.5 to 3.2W/kg.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Hilly Vanilli riders: question about your power [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I had to bail early, but I averaged 218W for 50 minutes. FTP is in the 225-230 range, on 68 kg. It didn't help that I had to physically adjust the trainer a couple of times and that kicked me out of the C peloton... the group draft effect is pretty strong.

All in all a good ride and pretty much on par with my expectations for a ride advertised at 2.5 to 3.2W/kg.

thanks. that's about what i figured. or, perhaps a bit more of a delta (for me, the last 20min makes it harder to keep my average what it is for my first 50min, but for some it's the opposite because they let it all hang out in the last 20 or 30min.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the ride! I was in the D group today and rode 93% of FTP. I seemed to have some issues drafting today and had to kill it to catch the D pack several times, so today might have been higher then normal. Last week I was at 86%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specifically yesterday's ride or Hilly Vanilli in general?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife decided she needed something from me within 2 min of starting the ride so I was 3 min off the back effectively from the gun. Given I knew the front was doing their own thing and I hadn't FTP tested for a while I set about a full on hour chase at max effort. I bring this up because I was astounded how little ground I was actually able to make up and by extension how fast the groups must have been going on average.

Over the full hour I averaged 234 watts which is a hair under 4.0 w/kg and Zwift Power has my normalized average power at 3.7 w/kg including the 10min I wasn't at full gas. These numbers are far higher than I would want or expect from a group ride at the C/D level yet I was still with D riders within 10 min of the end. I think people must be self selecting too low and my concern is that this scares off riders who really are C/D.

From my end yesterday was an anomaly and the pace Jordan sets is more than fast enough. However as stated above I am really a strong Group B rider so if my FTP was in the C range I'm sure I would be getting spit out the back and even get hammered by people listed in D. I would in turn feel pretty discouraged and be less inclined to join the ride. Looking at data over the previous few weeks my average power would be near 100% FTP for a true C rider.

I might suggest having a look at the group ride data on Zwift Power. This won't give you the information you have asked for but it paints a strong picture that a lot of riders are pushing powers above their self selected groupings.
Quote Reply
Re: Hilly Vanilli riders: question about your power [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't make last night's ride so I don't know if the pace was faster than previously, but a coherent group will go considerably faster than a solo rider for a given power level, both on the road and on Zwift. So the fact you needed 4W/kg to make up for having been dropped by 3mins doesn't necessarily mean the group was beyond the advertised 2.5-3.2W/kg range.

I had a similar but briefer experience last week. I was a few minutes late to start, and although Zwift allowed me join the group on the road, I hadn't warmed up and was a little distracted initially and let myself get dropped almost immediately. Within a couple of minutes, having drifted a little off the back (I think I was about 25s behind Rapp's group) I decided I couldn't afford to drop any further and started to chase back on. I believe it took me about 6 minutes to catch up. I found I needed around 280W (just over 3.4W/kg) to avoid being dropped further but I had to get above 300W (~3.7W/kg) to start closing the gap. I spent a few minutes around 320-345W (~3.9-4.2W/kg) that's VO2max territory for me. My FTP is around 290W (just over 3.5W/kg).

Once I'd caught up and had a draft I was able to drop power dramatically and recover. Rapp appeared to be riding at about 2.8W/kg during that early period of the ride. Once I'd recovered mid pack for a few minutes I was able to take turns up front without a problem. All that to say - it's quite possible it took 4W/kg without a draft to gradually catch a group riding at the advertised pace, especially on the flats. And on the hills Rapp had been raising the pace to about 3.5W/kg for a few minutes so you might not make much ground there either if the group followed that plan last night.

The draft is crucial if you want to survive at advertised W/kg. And of course some group rides really do massively exceed advertised pace.

I do agree that the paces for the Hilly Vanilli are quite high for D and C as compared with other non-race Zwift events but the pace is given so you can decide for yourself if it's suitable for you. A good C rider should need to ride very hard to stay near the front. With just over 3.5W/kg my FTP puts me below mid range in B category and I've ridden near the front in two of these rides. It was a hard ride but I could be confident of keeping up. A good C rider might be at their limit near the front.
I averaged 239W for the ride on March 15th. That's 2.91W/kg and about 82.5%FTP
Quote Reply
Re: Hilly Vanilli riders: question about your power [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I couldn't make last night's ride so I don't know if the pace was faster than previously, but a coherent group will go considerably faster than a solo rider for a given power level, both on the road and on Zwift. So the fact you needed 4W/kg to make up for having been dropped by 3mins doesn't necessarily mean the group was beyond the advertised 2.5-3.2W/kg range.

I had a similar but briefer experience last week. I was a few minutes late to start, and although Zwift allowed me join the group on the road, I hadn't warmed up and was a little distracted initially and let myself get dropped almost immediately. Within a couple of minutes, having drifted a little off the back (I think I was about 25s behind Rapp's group) I decided I couldn't afford to drop any further and started to chase back on. I believe it took me about 6 minutes to catch up. I found I needed around 280W (just over 3.4W/kg) to avoid being dropped further but I had to get above 300W (~3.7W/kg) to start closing the gap. I spent a few minutes around 320-345W (~3.9-4.2W/kg) that's VO2max territory for me. My FTP is around 290W (just over 3.5W/kg).

Once I'd caught up and had a draft I was able to drop power dramatically and recover. Rapp appeared to be riding at about 2.8W/kg during that early period of the ride. Once I'd recovered mid pack for a few minutes I was able to take turns up front without a problem. All that to say - it's quite possible it took 4W/kg without a draft to gradually catch a group riding at the advertised pace, especially on the flats. And on the hills Rapp had been raising the pace to about 3.5W/kg for a few minutes so you might not make much ground there either if the group followed that plan last night.

The draft is crucial if you want to survive at advertised W/kg. And of course some group rides really do massively exceed advertised pace.

I do agree that the paces for the Hilly Vanilli are quite high for D and C as compared with other non-race Zwift events but the pace is given so you can decide for yourself if it's suitable for you. A good C rider should need to ride very hard to stay near the front. With just over 3.5W/kg my FTP puts me below mid range in B category and I've ridden near the front in two of these rides. It was a hard ride but I could be confident of keeping up. A good C rider might be at their limit near the front.
I averaged 239W for the ride on March 15th. That's 2.91W/kg and about 82.5%FTP

i'm surprised to hear the D ride is high. this hilly vanilli is a 70min ride, and my D group is together for the first 40 or 45min. then it's off the leash. i rode the entire ride at an average of 173 watts, and this is within 3 watts of my average each of the last 3 weeks. my last 25min were reasonably similar to my first 45min, maybe a little lower.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned D, please disregard. I can only speak to C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

i'm surprised to hear the D ride is high. this hilly vanilli is a 70min ride, and my D group is together for the first 40 or 45min. then it's off the leash. i rode the entire ride at an average of 173 watts, and this is within 3 watts of my average each of the last 3 weeks. my last 25min were reasonably similar to my first 45min, maybe a little lower.

The C ride didn't really have a group leader so there was basically no moderation on the pace, other than fear ;) .

I think that if you want to have a "C" ride where someone that is actually in C (i.e. FTP <= 3.2 W/kg) would have a chance of making up a 30 second deficit relative to the group over a period of, say, five minutes, then you would have to pace the group at no more than 2.5 W/kg steady. A dropped rider would still have to spend time at 3.5 to 4 W/kg to catch up.

So one thing I noticed yesterday that I haven't previously (and I have about 2500 km on Zwift over the last four months) is that there was a big delay between a power/cadence change and when this got fed into Zwift. Normally the response is within a second or two, this time it was way out at 20 to 30 seconds. Anyone else?

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree you are in the sweet spot but there are a number of D riders who are always well up the road from your main group.

Band D is FTP of <2.5 w/kg. Last night Zwift power only lists 1 band D rider with an average normalized power less than you (at 2.1 w/kg). The majority of the Band D riders recorded average normalised power >2.5 w/kg meaning they went over 100% FTP. Because not everyone is on Zwift power I'm sure this a skewed assessment of the ride but it points out that a lot of group D riders are pushing well beyond the group D limits.

My instinct is that these are riders who are listing themselves as D because they can't keep with the pace of the C group. Jordan had an average normalized power of 3.1 w/kg last week which is a bit hot for riders at the low end of the C range. Especially because if you let a small gap open it requires a big effort to close and we were hitting the hills at 3.5+ w/kg.

To be clear I think the ride is great and it is not a criticism of how the ride is being led. I just think Jordan is very strong and along with a few other strong riders the ride naturally drifts to the high end of what the average C rider is expecting. At the same time you are leading at a solid group D pace which is a bit slow for the average rider. The end results is riders who get trapped in no mans land
Quote Reply
Re: Hilly Vanilli riders: question about your power [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
I agree you are in the sweet spot but there are a number of D riders who are always well up the road from your main group.

Band D is FTP of <2.5 w/kg. Last night Zwift power only lists 1 band D rider with an average normalized power less than you (at 2.1 w/kg). The majority of the Band D riders recorded average normalised power >2.5 w/kg meaning they went over 100% FTP. Because not everyone is on Zwift power I'm sure this a skewed assessment of the ride but it points out that a lot of group D riders are pushing well beyond the group D limits.

My instinct is that these are riders who are listing themselves as D because they can't keep with the pace of the C group. Jordan had an average normalized power of 3.1 w/kg last week which is a bit hot for riders at the low end of the C range. Especially because if you let a small gap open it requires a big effort to close and we were hitting the hills at 3.5+ w/kg.

To be clear I think the ride is great and it is not a criticism of how the ride is being led. I just think Jordan is very strong and along with a few other strong riders the ride naturally drifts to the high end of what the average C rider is expecting. At the same time you are leading at a solid group D pace which is a bit slow for the average rider. The end results is riders who get trapped in no mans land

that's why i like that ride. it's like a... ride. it's a 70min ride and we immediately split into the jordan group and the me group. the structure of the ride is, 40min more less in the groups, and then 30min to do what you want. if you look at how that ride goes, and yesterday is an example, we had 62 people in that ride. about a dozen were in my group. we stayed together for 40min. then, bam, off a bunch of my group went. i think it's kind of a game, maybe, to see how many of the front group they can eat up. i don't know.

i do think that we ought to have, basically, an E group.

my group is 2.0 to 2.25 w/kg. the last 3 weeks i've been dead on in between that for each ride, as an average, as in, 2.125 ish. i think we ought to also have a 1.75 ish group too. and then maybe something in between me and jordan, so, 2.75 or so, altho i think half of my group becomes a 3+ group at 40min.

what we need are more ride leaders. we have a lot of riders. we have about 85 every tue, and 65 or so on thur. what i want it to have more rider leaders, push each ride up over 100 riders, and then i want to add 2 more rides: wednesday and then one on the weekend. but in throttled right now because i don't have enough ride leaders.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply