Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Liberal American Universities...
Quote | Reply
I must work at the oddest one. Where I work is not religiously affiliated in any way, shape or form. It started out as a business school, expanding to general Arts and Science and health care fields over the last few decades. It's private not a state school.

I know the previous president was a big time conservative because he's received top state level appointments from our Trump wannabe governor since leaving the University.

Current president is another business guy but any sort of social issue I've ever heard him comment on he seems liberal.

Any way, a motion last year was shot down by the faculty to stop with the God stuff at public events. And now the campus democrat group is complaining that they aren't being given space to put up their information like the college republican group has.

I have a weird sense of fairness I guess. You would think if space was going to be made for any group to put up their information it would be available to all groups.
Quote Reply
Re: Liberal American Universities... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
I must work at the oddest one. Where I work is not religiously affiliated in any way, shape or form. It started out as a business school, expanding to general Arts and Science and health care fields over the last few decades. It's private not a state school.

I know the previous president was a big time conservative because he's received top state level appointments from our Trump wannabe governor since leaving the University.

Current president is another business guy but any sort of social issue I've ever heard him comment on he seems liberal.

Any way, a motion last year was shot down by the faculty to stop with the God stuff at public events. And now the campus democrat group is complaining that they aren't being given space to put up their information like the college republican group has.

I have a weird sense of fairness I guess. You would think if space was going to be made for any group to put up their information it would be available to all groups.

Maybe that is because the entire campus is a space for the democrat group to put up their information?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Liberal American Universities... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Maybe that is because the entire campus is a space for the democrat group to put up their information?

In what way?

I actually had no idea we even had campus Dem. and Repub. groups until this issue was raised, which I guess shows how much I pay attention to the stuff on the poster boards around campus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA may have a point. Its kind of like why we have a BET, or a black history month, or a Jewish community center, etc. They generally exist for minority groups who aren't well represented in the mainstream.

If the college campus is overwhelmingly liberal (is it? i don't know), then it would make sense to have "conservative space," but not specifically liberal space.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Liberal American Universities... [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
JSA may have a point. Its kind of like why we have a BET, or a black history month, or a Jewish community center, etc. They generally exist for minority groups who aren't well represented in the mainstream.

If the college campus is overwhelmingly liberal (is it? i don't know), then it would make sense to have "conservative space," but not specifically liberal space.

How does one determine such a thing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
BarryP wrote:

It isn't a thing. I've taught at 3 different universities, all large publics. Institutions like that are generally not liberal or conservative, but portions of the faculty are both. Arts and social sciences lean left, business/hard sciences/medicine are pretty moderate, and you will not find a large contingent of highly conservative faculty anywhere. But they do exist, I have several business school colleagues that are holy roller Trump supporters.

To my mind a public institution should be totally secular. You don't discourage or encourage religion. People that want religion in schools always want it to be THEIR religion. With a private institution it should be totally up to the institution as long as they don't discriminate on some basis. Can't discriminate and get federal funds.

I never mention religion or politics in class. I teach information systems and analytics so there is no place for it in class.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Quote Reply
Re: Liberal American Universities... [NCtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NCtri wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
BarryP wrote:

It isn't a thing. I've taught at 3 different universities, all large publics. Institutions like that are generally not liberal or conservative, but portions of the faculty are both. Arts and social sciences lean left, business/hard sciences/medicine are pretty moderate, and you will not find a large contingent of highly conservative faculty anywhere. But they do exist, I have several business school colleagues that are holy roller Trump supporters.

To my mind a public institution should be totally secular. You don't discourage or encourage religion. People that want religion in schools always want it to be THEIR religion. With a private institution it should be totally up to the institution as long as they don't discriminate on some basis. Can't discriminate and get federal funds.

I never mention religion or politics in class. I teach information systems and analytics so there is no place for it in class.

i always kind of scratch my head at this. higher education - all education really - is where physics and math and chemistry is taught. you cannot advance medicine or engineering if you don't live inside the world of hard science. a miracle is, even by biblical standards, the suspension of physical law. it's an outside agent deciding to override the very set of physical laws he established. these physical laws are every bit as holy or reverence-worthy as the suspension of them.

so we teach physical law and we either do, or we don't, believe that an outside agent can override them at his choosing. either way, it's at his choosing. we can't teach the exception to the rule. we have to teach the rule.

so, because higher education teaches the rule, it naturally attracts those who live by, and are wedded to, the rule. they are obliged to omit the exceptions to the rule, outside agency, or any religious implications associated with the rule. they are obliged to withstand the pressure - which they certainly feel - to admit a discussion of anything not physically provable. even in the humanities, the foundation of a professor's education is science based.

i don't know that universities are liberal, as in, there's a liberal deep state in higher education. rather, they're secular, i.e., they teach according to physical law rather than the suspension of it. what do we expect will emanate from an institution that is built entirely around honoring only physical law? why does this shock and offend? do you really want to go to a doctor, or drive over a bridge designed by an engineer, who is trained in some other way?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Mar 22, 18 9:11
Quote Reply
Re: Liberal American Universities... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
NCtri wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
BarryP wrote:

i always kind of scratch my head at this. higher education - all education really - is where physics and math and chemistry is taught. you cannot advance medicine or engineering if you don't live inside the world of hard science. a miracle is, even by biblical standards, the suspension of physical law. it's an outside agent deciding to override the very set of physical laws he established. these physical laws are every bit as holy or reverence-worthy as the suspension of them.

so we teach physical law and we either do, or we don't, believe that an outside agent can override them at his choosing. either way, it's at his choosing. we can't teach the exception to the rule. we have to teach the rule.

so, because higher education teaches the rule, it naturally attracts those who live by, and are wedded to, the rule. they are obliged to omit the exceptions to the rule, outside agency, or any religious implications associated with the rule. they are obliged to withstand the pressure - which they certainly feel - to admit a discussion of anything not physically provable. even in the humanities, the foundation of a professor's education is science based.

i don't know that universities are liberal, as in, there's a liberal deep state in higher education. rather, they're secular, i.e., they teach according to physical law rather than the suspension of it. what do we expect will emanate from an institution that is built entirely around honoring only physical law? why does this shock and offend? do you really want to go to a doctor, or drive over a bridge designed by an engineer, who is trained in some other way?

It's certainly true that the teaching of physics, math, business, etc tend towards the secular. But the OP's issue wasn't secular v religious. It was liberal v conservative. There are a significant number of college/university faculty who give voice to fairly strident liberal political and ideological positions, there are large portions of student bodies at some schools that shout down any conservative voice, and there would seem to be a general academic bent toward the liberal end of the political spectrum.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A long, long time ago I was a Christian-Atheist (if that even exists) as I was school age. I grew up in Baptist Church but then was taught science ...... and I questioned it internally.

The difference now is I have seen things that question how evolution could ever create perfect, complex symmetry.

One of my more recent finds as a hunter, gun loving conservative was a deer skeleton. I picked up a bone my wife, who is a PT, said was a leg bone and I could hardly believe that what I was looking at was real (never really examined a bone). Perfectly shaped bone that was one piece of a VERY complex living organism. I just can't accept that random cells evolved randomly to create such a perfect organism.

Cells and DNA may change over time due to a multitude of influences but the underlying perfection of the natural world is anything but random......... its created.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<a miracle is, even by biblical standards, the suspension of physical law. it's an outside agent deciding to override the very set of physical laws he established. these physical laws are every bit as holy or reverence-worthy as the suspension of them.

so we teach physical law and we either do, or we don't, believe that an outside agent can override them at his choosing. either way, it's at his choosing. we can't teach the exception to the rule. we have to teach the rule.>>

Not looking to get into a semantics battle with you on what constitutes a miracle, but I had a developmental biology professor in college who repeatedly referenced his Christian belief in the miraculous nature of life, particularly human life. He even started and ended the semester by reciting a couple Biblical passages to that effect, and urged us to keep a certain reverence in mind as we tried to learn the hard science details of the subject. The guy was/is a distinguished scientist and definitely taught us 'the rule', but also seemed pretty dedicated in his own beliefs about the religious 'exceptions' to the rule, which I think he would probably characterize more as complements to the rules as we currently understand them. It was an interesting position for a hard sciences professor to take, particularly at the public university that I attended - it drew comments from many classmates, but I suspect in this day and age he would be pilloried and probably formally censured for mixing in a bit of Christianity with the class syllabus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on that. It's like calling Fox News "balanced" because they provide balance to the media landscape by promoting nothing but right wing talking points.

College campuses, particularly public institutions, need an ironclad rule that guarantees all-or-none as it pertains to student groups, without some bullshit speech-can-be-violence opt-out clause.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Liberal American Universities... [TriFortMill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFortMill wrote:
A long, long time ago I was a Christian-Atheist (if that even exists) as I was school age. I grew up in Baptist Church but then was taught science ...... and I questioned it internally.

The difference now is I have seen things that question how evolution could ever create perfect, complex symmetry.

One of my more recent finds as a hunter, gun loving conservative was a deer skeleton. I picked up a bone my wife, who is a PT, said was a leg bone and I could hardly believe that what I was looking at was real (never really examined a bone). Perfectly shaped bone that was one piece of a VERY complex living organism. I just can't accept that random cells evolved randomly to create such a perfect organism.

Cells and DNA may change over time due to a multitude of influences but the underlying perfection of the natural world is anything but random......... its created.

Argument from incredulity is a logical fallacy, by the way.

I think you should learn more about natural selection (which drives evolution, not randomness), the law of large numbers, and the difference between "perfect" and "well-adapted."

Feel free to start an intelligent design thread and present those things you've seen that question how evolution could do what is claimed.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Liberal American Universities... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
NCtri wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
BarryP wrote:

It's certainly true that the teaching of physics, math, business, etc tend towards the secular. But the OP's issue wasn't secular v religious. It was liberal v conservative. There are a significant number of college/university faculty who give voice to fairly strident liberal political and ideological positions, there are large portions of student bodies at some schools that shout down any conservative voice, and there would seem to be a general academic bent toward the liberal end of the political spectrum.

He referenced both liberal/conservative and religion. I addressed them separately, or attempted to.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Quote Reply
Re: Liberal American Universities... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
NCtri wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
BarryP wrote:

if you simply limit yourself to what you see in the physical world, homo sapiens isn't valued higher than another species. it just is another species. only religion values homo sapiens higher. it's only via a religious decision that a homo sapiens zygote is extrapolated into a fully formed, fully sentient entity deserving of the value religious folks attach to homo sapiens.

if you just take this small slice, right there, this extrapolates into all sorts of political differences between folk. you can extract consequences from just the natural history of mammals that result in highly charged reactions from, say, fundamentalist/evangelical christians, which result in, "what are they teaching in school these days?" this makes its way into conservative ideology because of the very deep and strong nexus between conservatives and christians.

fine, you might say, but how does this explain a more liberal take on sociology? or history? same sorta thing, really. once you parse american jingoism from actual U.S. history conservatives pretty easily identify the "america haters". but historians really are just "american truthers".

trump conservatives are now singing a different tune, of course. conservatives decried the anti-war crowd during vietnam, and for a couple of generations afterward. now, tho, when liberals are asking why trump is the way he is, we're hearing from trumpists how america is just as guilty as [russia, or fill in the blank] because of all the shitty stuff america did throughout the last century. trumpists are now using historic fact (or some facsimile of it), but a generation ago liberals who used historic fact were commies.

the remarkably consistent group, throughout all of this, are the academics that attach themselves to fact, to science, whether in education, in the national academies, and wherever fact and logic and science are imperatives.

conservatives made the decision to go after the religious minded. they were successful. liberals got the fact-based crowd as a consolation prize. so, if you wonder why there are more liberals in places that are fact-based; why more college-educated people are liberals; and so forth; i don't know that this is so hard to figure out.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Liberal American Universities... [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
<<a miracle is, even by biblical standards, the suspension of physical law. it's an outside agent deciding to override the very set of physical laws he established. these physical laws are every bit as holy or reverence-worthy as the suspension of them.

so we teach physical law and we either do, or we don't, believe that an outside agent can override them at his choosing. either way, it's at his choosing. we can't teach the exception to the rule. we have to teach the rule.>>

Not looking to get into a semantics battle with you on what constitutes a miracle, but I had a developmental biology professor in college who repeatedly referenced his Christian belief in the miraculous nature of life, particularly human life. He even started and ended the semester by reciting a couple Biblical passages to that effect, and urged us to keep a certain reverence in mind as we tried to learn the hard science details of the subject. The guy was/is a distinguished scientist and definitely taught us 'the rule', but also seemed pretty dedicated in his own beliefs about the religious 'exceptions' to the rule, which I think he would probably characterize more as complements to the rules as we currently understand them. It was an interesting position for a hard sciences professor to take, particularly at the public university that I attended - it drew comments from many classmates, but I suspect in this day and age he would be pilloried and probably formally censured for mixing in a bit of Christianity with the class syllabus.

I had a genetics professor who brought her bible to class everyday.

I'm also aware of one of the top human evolution scientists who apparently is a church-going religious type.

There's really no reason you can't do both evidence based science and hold faith based beliefs as well.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Mar 22, 18 10:45
Quote Reply
Re: Liberal American Universities... [TriFortMill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFortMill wrote:

This is called an argument from personal incredulity. It basically boils down to "I don't understand it, so it must not be understandable."

I don't mean this to sound dismissive in any way, but your opinion on something like this is meaningless. My opinion is meaningless. The only opinion that carries any weight would be that of experts who have devoted their lives to understanding the issue. It's like trying to understand quantum mechanics, and failing to do so, deciding that because you personally don't understand it, it must be governed by something supernatural (and inevitably that supernatural thing happens to have intelligence that operates in a similar vein to our own, because that we understand, and that we can get behind).
Quote Reply
Re: Liberal American Universities... [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on that. It's like calling Fox News "balanced" because they provide balance to the media landscape by promoting nothing but right wing talking points.

College campuses, particularly public institutions, need an ironclad rule that guarantees all-or-none as it pertains to student groups, without some bullshit speech-can-be-violence opt-out clause.

Exactly, if you're going to have bulletin boards where groups can post info. you need to give every group access to those boards, or a board of their own if you're doing it that way. Atheists, Muslims, Veterans, Christians, Dems, Pubs, Minority Students, whatever groups exist within the bounds set by the University.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The liberal bias of universities comes not from the faculty but from the students. One of the hallmarks of conservatism is the idea of individual freedom as somewhat outweighing the obligation to the common good, whereas liberalism tends to see the common good as somewhat outweighing personal freedom. On a campus, people are exposed to a much wider range of people from different backgrounds than they normally do in life. That leads people to see other races and socioeconomic strata as valid and equal - not just in principle but in practice. Other races are seen less as "the other." Conservatives are more likely to perceive others as "the others," and so less interaction with others of a diverse background is more likely to result in someone being conservative.

Why do you think cities tend to be more liberal? It's because cities attract a greater amount of diversity, so the people living there are less likely to see people of other background as "the others." The more interaction you have with people of diverse backgrounds, the more likely you are to see other people's opinions as having merit, and thus you begin to place more value in the obligation to the common good and somewhat less in individual freedoms than a conservative would
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Liberal American Universities... [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
slowguy wrote:

I'm tired of this. It's a meme that right wing media keeps hammering on in the U.S. enough that people are starting to take it for granted. I'd love to see an objective study of this because there are plenty... PLENTY of universities colleges that do not fit that description. We're talking easily 500+ Christian schools, and then you have other religions, military, and even just plain old state schools in the South that don't fit the liberal stereotype.

Agreed. The weight that Everest Univ & UC Irvine carried in the media has spread this perception fairly effectively. Working at a University myself and having many acquaintances in the field the perception that there is a heavy bent towards the liberal end of the spectrum just does not hold water. I find the bulk (again my experiences) to be fairly well balanced. I suppose you could make the case for, overall, a slight left lean but that's about as far as I would go.

Having said all that watching Everest University play out was one for the record books and truly hard to believe.
Quote Reply
Re: Liberal American Universities... [NCtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my institution's student newspaper publishes a Worship Guide in the newspaper every Friday. I thought that was pretty interesting.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Liberal American Universities... [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
slowguy wrote:

I'm tired of this. It's a meme that right wing media keeps hammering on in the U.S. enough that people are starting to take it for granted. I'd love to see an objective study of this because there are plenty... PLENTY of universities colleges that do not fit that description. We're talking easily 500+ Christian schools, and then you have other religions, military, and even just plain old state schools in the South that don't fit the liberal stereotype.

I think you make an important point.

I also think that there's a difference between a general academic bent toward the liberal end of the spectrum, which may be the case at many institutions, and the claim that there are "large portions of the student bodies" at some schools shouting down any conservative voices, which is likely a gross and unfair characterization. With regard to the latter, sure it happens from time to time, and most of the time it does, it ends up going viral, which creates a skewed perception that that kind of behavior is commonplace. Also, in many of those situations, it's most often a very small minority of the student body engaging in the behavior.

As an example, prior to the confrontation and violence at Middlebury College, Charles Murray probably appeared and made the exact same presentation at likely over 100 other campuses without incident.
Quote Reply