Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

very noob question from a frugal college student regarding trisuit
Quote | Reply
am planning on doing my first 70.3 soon, and was looking at some gear/apparel to buy. i bought a wetsuit already from roka so i already got that.

i was looking for a "trisuit" which i have read/heard is what you wear under the wetsuit and is worn during the bike and run. One i was looking at was this: https://imgur.com/ulmdkue

my question is, what is the difference between something like this and normal tight clothing from a regular retail big company like nike/under armour/ etc? like im talking the extremely tight fit compression clothing they have. i understand it has to be tight for aero purposes, but if both are tight, then what exactly is the difference?

thanks so much!

edit: only asking this because the trisuits im finding are 200+ while normal compression clothing from retailers are like <70$ and im poor :(
Last edited by: legitlegit: Mar 21, 18 17:57
Quote Reply
Re: very noob question from a frugal college student regarding trisuit [legitlegit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One difference is the chamois. The regular compression gear doesn’t have that small layer of padding.
Quote Reply
Re: very noob question from a frugal college student regarding trisuit [legitlegit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chamois and the cut. pockets ae nice for 70.3 and up.

if you look, you can find decent quality entry level tri suits for around $100

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy some tri shorts from the close out section of one of the triathlon clothing websites for $29. For a top just use whatever tight fitting thing you already have.

Also try swimoutlet or amazon or used off craigslist or post a Wanted ad on this website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For 70.3 you are def gonna want a pad under your gooch. Do NOT spend $200 on a tri suit. You can shop around online and find good stuff in the $100 range. I recently bought a solid Pearl Izumi sleeved tri suit on sale from TriSports for $110 (was $180). Also some tri shorts have pockets so if you just wanted to buy shorts and wear an under armor top you could do that too. You’re gonna want somewhere to stash your empty gel/bar wrappers on the bike and if you litter that’ll be a penalty. So I’d recommend pockets of some sort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size are you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fork tri-suits man and just race in your Speedo and a tight fitting top. The only way i'd ever wear a "tri-suit" is if i made it onto the ITU circuit and USAT was paying me to wear the USA team tri-suit. $200 for a pair of bike shorts and top is just ridiculous.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your still in college, go Old School: Speedo brief and the least amount of shirt possible. Plus a lot of sunscreen.
Its cheap, fast and will draw a lot of attention.
Drink Bud Lite at the finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: very noob question from a frugal college student regarding trisuit [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can check out leftlane sports, the clymb, and active gear up. They have big sales on tri stuff from time to time. Pearl Izumi stuff on there is a good deal right now. I saw a full Tri Suit for 49.95 and I think they have a 20% of coupon out. The sizes can be hit and miss though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Mar 22, 18 12:49
Post #10 of 10 (36 views)
You can check out.......the climb..........

x2 on The Clymb (be sure to spell it correctly). Best website I've found since Bonktown went the way of the Dodo!

Also, once again....what size are you? I have some trisuits that I don't need any longer. I'd be willing to just give them to you if they will work.

ETA: most of my apparel is Men's medium or Men's large (depends on the brand)

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Mar 22, 18 13:30
Quote Reply
Re: very noob question from a frugal college student regarding trisuit [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bifff wrote:
Your still in college, go Old School: Speedo brief and the least amount of shirt possible. Plus a lot of sunscreen.
Its cheap, fast and will draw a lot of attention.
Drink Bud Lite at the finish line.

^+1 this. Wear as little as possible, party as much as possible.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought my first tri-suit used on ebay for next to nothing. Got me through my first couple races just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm frugal with those sort of things and bought my 1 piece suits from REI Outlet (or garage or whatever it is called) when they allow 20% coupons for members. Bought 2 of them that way and paid under $50 for each one for brand new old stock suits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are two solid options. Not super cheap, but a lot cheaper than the Roka suit and both high quality.

https://www.castelli-cycling.com/...men/p/861811418P-933 $159.99

https://www.desotosport.com/...ted-4mm-ceramico-pad $147.95

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my trisuit for $50aud ($35usd) from Wiggle. DHB brand. I absolutely love it.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/...-suit-blackblue-l-1/[/url]

IMO, for your first, spending any more then $50usd on a tri suit is ridiculous. Leave the other part of your budget for more of the millions of things you need to buy to do triathlon. Blow your budget a little here, blow your budget there...it will all add up.

There are also people on this website that for them a budget is "dont spend any more then $X because that wont allow us to save any money from this weeks pay check". But for people like you and I who are at university, our budget is more like "if i blow my budget, i dont eat". Spend less and atleast stick to your budget.

Nothing worse then spending too much on stuff you didnt have to and then, for example, having a training accident and you cant afford to have you or your bike fixed.
Last edited by: MJI16: Mar 22, 18 22:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I use tri shorts and a sleeveless UnderArmour top for my 70.3 races.

The UA top is thinner and lighter (so cooler) than any trisuit top I've tried.

You still want the tri shorts because of the pad for cycling, and because the compression bottoms are a bit translucent.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: very noob question from a frugal college student regarding trisuit [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
You can check out leftlane sports, the clymb, and active gear up. They have big sales on tri stuff from time to time. Pearl Izumi stuff on there is a good deal right now. I saw a full Tri Suit for 49.95 and I think they have a 20% of coupon out. The sizes can be hit and miss though.

Another vote for these sites.. I got a Castelli Free San Remo suit from leftlane for $75 a couple months back.

As a heads up, Leftlane and Active are affiliated and carry the same items and sizes, but one (I forget which) is usually slightly cheaper for the exact same item.
Quote Reply