Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ever switch marathon plans? Near the peak phase?
Quote | Reply
I am following a marathon plan. The goal is BQ. I've been able to follow the plan and complete all the key workouts. I had some minor injuries and life got in the way a couple times. Regardless, I'm still right on track, and now it is in the peak phase of volume. However, I don't feel there are enough long runs. I've looked at some other plans that have more substantial long runs. Has anyone ever decided to switch plans, or switch key workouts? Or is this just asking for trouble? Should I just continue to trust the plan? I am having doubts because I feel like I should be closer to being able to run my pace for a longer time. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever switch marathon plans? Near the peak phase? [tobrien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have a coach than stay the course. If you are following training template from some of the prominent coaches/authors, Daniels, Hanson, Pfitzinger then I would absolutely switch it up if you are feeling deficient in an area. Their text even states it's just a template and every runner should personalize. I personally use Pfitzinger's book as a guide. As an example using Pfitzinger since you stated running MP pace for longer, 6 weeks out would be a long run of 18 miles w/ 12 @ MP. Also key to his plan is a medium long run mid week. In the week mentioned above, Thursday would be a 15 mi run.

Without seeing the plan you are following, my instinct would be to stay on it. Maybe add a few more miles midweek and start introducing more miles at MP pace as the weeks progress.
Quote Reply