Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Maryland school shooting [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did he leave a note or FB trail? Just wondering was the perp after an ex or went intending to kill as many as possible. Either way, good for the RO
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland school shooting [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
BLeP wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
sphere wrote:
Correct. No official word yet on which bullet went where. Either way, it's probably a safe assumption that the SRO's intervention brought it to an abrupt end.

Just goes to show we need more armed peoole in schools. This one was down to 3 possible deaths. Getting better every week.

Yup. Everyone should be allowed to carry. Including the students. Nothing can possibly go wrong.

I'm already regretting engaging in this, and I realize that you're using hyperbole laced with sarcasm for effect, but this claim that the NRA/Republicans/"the right"/"gun nuts"/etc. want to force everyone in schools to be armed is disingenuous and needs to stop. (And, apologies for directly responding to your particular post. Yes, I realize that you said "allow" not "force" above; your post was just the straw on the proverbial camel's back for me...)

I've not seen a single credible proposal to *compel* all teachers to be armed, but I've seen several that would *allow* *some* teachers to *optionally* carry with proper backgrounds, training, etc.

Not all teachers are old, timid, mousy librarians; some have law-enforcement or military backgrounds and could provide an effective response (and deterrent) in these situations.

Right, because none of those guys ever fuck up or go off the reservation...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...at_work...._P6585204
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland school shooting [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:
I'm already regretting engaging in this, and I realize that you're using hyperbole laced with sarcasm for effect, but this claim that the NRA/Republicans/"the right"/"gun nuts"/etc. want to force everyone in schools to be armed is disingenuous and needs to stop. (And, apologies for directly responding to your particular post. Yes, I realize that you said "allow" not "force" above; your post was just the straw on the proverbial camel's back for me...)

I've not seen a single credible proposal to *compel* all teachers to be armed, but I've seen several that would *allow* *some* teachers to *optionally* carry with proper backgrounds, training, etc.

Not all teachers are old, timid, mousy librarians; some have law-enforcement or military backgrounds and could provide an effective response (and deterrent) in these situations.

If you're comfortable with an armed SRO at schools (and in classrooms, which is a big part of their jobs), why wouldn't you be equally comfortable with a properly trained and vetted teacher who also wanted to carry?

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland school shooting [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
OneGoodLeg wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

If you're comfortable with an armed SRO at schools (and in classrooms, which is a big part of their jobs), why wouldn't you be equally comfortable with a properly trained and vetted teacher who also wanted to carry?

Its less likely a sro is going to do this...

https://www.google.com/...pYXXvSwF&ampcf=1

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland school shooting [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Maryland and pretty familiar with the gun laws. I heard that he used a Glock 9mm.

It will be interesting to find out where it came from. He can't buy it so he had to steal it. We (Maryland) have some of the most strict laws in the US.
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland school shooting [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
I'm in Maryland and pretty familiar with the gun laws. I heard that he used a Glock 9mm.

It will be interesting to find out where it came from. He can't buy it so he had to steal it. We (Maryland) have some of the most strict laws in the US.

It was his father's legally owned firearm.

Reports indicate that he was previously dating the girl he shot, and they had recently broken up.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland school shooting [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any word on if it was locked up per MD law?
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland school shooting [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
Any word on if it was locked up per MD law?

No idea. I just saw the police stated it was a legally owned firearm, belonging to the shooter's father.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland school shooting [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Correct. No official word yet on which bullet went where. Either way, it's probably a safe assumption that the SRO's intervention brought it to an abrupt end.

Perp shot himself, didn't shoot at the officer. Officer fired one shot and hit the gun.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Maryland school shooting [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
sphere wrote:
One victim reportedly a former girlfriend. Not surprising, though you have to wonder if he planned on mass carnage after targeting her. Fortunately it doesn't matter much now.

So is it a school shooting or a shooting at a school?

I think just a school shooting, but, not a mass one. So, not really news worthy.

Depends on what your narrative is.

Is the Narrative "We need more guns in schools"? Then it was definitely a school mass shooting that was thwarted by good guy with a gun. RAH RAH RAH LETS TALK ABOUT THIS MORE!!!

Is the narrative "No guns in schools" Then it was just a shooting that happened in a school and the good guy probably over reacted and can we stop talking about this now?!?!?

Sadly, your cynicism has a grain of truth.
Quote Reply

Prev Next