Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you consider good service? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a question of when one is done. It's when all are
Quote Reply
Re: What do you consider good service? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When all plates have their utensils placed at the four o'clock position, it is time to clear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"my plate should grow fucking mold before I indicate you can take it "

Which makes the point that they should ask if there is anything they can do for you, indicating it is up to you to ask for more food , drink or to remove the plate. Asking me when there is still food on my plate ticks me off.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you consider good service? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Bad service:

Order a drink and they bring you something different and don't tell you.

After taking a sip, I know its wrong, I ask and they tell me: We didn't have what you ordered so we gave you something better.

That really pisses me often and happens at least a few times a year. Its not better. It may be more expensive, but its not better.

I once ordered a scotch with an ice cube. I was still new to scotch and liked how a bit of water cut the burn a bit.

I received the pour of scotch, in a glass, filled with crushed ice.

This was at a very expensive and well known drinking establishment.

I sent it back, and got attitude from the server over it.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you consider good service? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
A good server will know when you are done because you will place your knife and fork at the 4 o'clock position on your plate.

Not every customer knows this. I hate it when I monitor the cabin for pick up and see people with food on their plate and the knife and fork in the crossed “open” position, I assume they are still eating. I hate to hover so I leave it. Then the person catches my eye and says they are finished. Or they put the knife and fork in the finished position and when I go to take the plate they get annoyed and say they are still eating. Mostly it’s Americans.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you consider good service? [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can not believe I am the only one here that recognises that in a formal restaurant setting until EVERY single person has finished irrespective of their cutlery position. Do NOT remove a plate.

Perhaps ask if there is anything that can be done, but do NOT remove plates

It's just extremely bad form in good restaurants. Finishing first. It's not a fucking race. My wife eats like she's on the run. I tell her she can wait till I have finished. My kids have finished and our friends or guests have finished

The removing a plate thing annoys the shit out of me. Much like wearing a hat at the table.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you consider good service? [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once had a server take away my plate while I was taking a bite out of my burger. There I was, burger in hand. No tip that time.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you consider good service? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swallowing.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I can not believe I am the only one here that recognises that in a formal restaurant setting until EVERY single person has finished irrespective of their cutlery position. Do NOT remove a plate.

Perhaps ask if there is anything that can be done, but do NOT remove plates

It's just extremely bad form in good restaurants. Finishing first. It's not a fucking race. My wife eats like she's on the run. I tell her she can wait till I have finished. My kids have finished and our friends or guests have finished

The removing a plate thing annoys the shit out of me. Much like wearing a hat at the table.

I’m with you.

However, seems like you kept going back for 7 years. Maybe they thought you like it...
Quote Reply
Re: What do you consider good service? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a regional thing

Couldn't change the culture. Couldn't leave
Quote Reply

Prev Next