Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

changing campi to shimano - really that easy (and cheap)
Quote | Reply
was at a bike shop while on work travel. The mechanic there told me it has become pretty easy to switch a campy system to a shimano - simply switch out the cassette, do some adjustments, that's it. Is it really that easy? I would like to switch out the campy system on my tribike so that when I switch from the road to tri on the trainer, doesn't require additional part swapping, and then there are the new aero wheels I have on the shimano road bike - would be sweet to be able to just seamlessly swap from one bike to the other.

I didn't get the name of the mechanic, or the bike shop, as I was wandering the city over lunch break, but would be great to know if this is possible as only one bike shop in the small town where I live and they say this is not possible, but rather would take thousands of dollars to switch out the entire system.
Quote Reply
Re: changing campi to shimano - really that easy (and cheap) [nocryingallowed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that with 11sp, the cassette cog spacing is close enough to work. So you could put a Shimano hub and cassette with Campy shifters and derailleurs or vice versa.

I think I read about some hubs that will take either a Campy or Shimano cassette, but I can't remember where or the brand.

hth
Quote Reply
Re: changing campi to shimano - really that easy (and cheap) [nocryingallowed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has always been easy.

Remove Campy group.

Install Shimano group with appropriate wheels.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Mar 18, 18 9:10
Quote Reply
Re: changing campi to shimano - really that easy (and cheap) [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had exactly this, DI2 shifting on a campy chorus 12-29 cassette shifting buttery smooth!!!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned above, 11s spacing is so close it makes no difference. All our road bikes are campag and it's no problem to use wheels with shimano cassettes or to lend the campag wheels to shimano sufferers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nocryingallowed wrote:
was at a bike shop while on work travel. The mechanic there told me it has become pretty easy to switch a campy system to a shimano - simply switch out the cassette, do some adjustments, that's it. Is it really that easy? I would like to switch out the campy system on my tribike so that when I switch from the road to tri on the trainer, doesn't require additional part swapping, and then there are the new aero wheels I have on the shimano road bike - would be sweet to be able to just seamlessly swap from one bike to the other.

I didn't get the name of the mechanic, or the bike shop, as I was wandering the city over lunch break, but would be great to know if this is possible as only one bike shop in the small town where I live and they say this is not possible, but rather would take thousands of dollars to switch out the entire system.

My $0,02: using a shim 105 10 speed cassette with a bike that had a 10 spd campy centaur gruppo worked fine; my LBS mech says the 11 spd cassettes are also interchangeable [with a bit of tweaking]

res, non verba
Quote Reply