Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

School me on Pearson international airport (Toronto)
Quote | Reply
Questions:

We arrive via Kamloops-> Toronto domestic at 3:13 pm.

Then need to get back through ticketing and security to go Toronto-> lanzarote.

No baggage just carry on....issue is if we split book (and save lots of $$$) we have to, exit airside; get the second boarding, and then clear international security between 3:13 and 5:55.

This appears to be enough time....but looking for input.

Thanks,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: School me on Pearson international airport (Toronto) [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The international security is pretty far away from the domestic terminal but if you have three hours and no luggage, you’ll probably be fine...assuming your first first flight is punctual.

What do you mean get through ticketing? If you don’t have a bag then you can go directly to security.

By splitting the booking are you saving more money than the cost of a new ticket to Lanzarote if you don’t make the connection?
Quote Reply
Re: School me on Pearson international airport (Toronto) [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's smaller than LAX. Honestly, I haven't been in Pearson since 1981 so I can't answer your question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went through in 2011 and had to get my bike box after landing there from Frankfurt, to go through customs for US. I believe I had 3-4 hours. Plenty of time and it took a long time for them to get my bike box to the customs area. That was during summer if that makes a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have TSA Pre, Nexus, Global Entry or similar?

My experience is probably an outlier but a couple of years ago I used up almost the full 3-hour cushion stuck in a non-moving border control line at Pearson as the TSA, or ICE, or whatever they are there, agents kept waving passengers and crew with those programs through that line, to less than a handful of working passport control kiosks due to a computer system outage.. absolute shitshow. People in line flipping out as their boarding time passed, women crying, TSA agents throwing their weight around and threatening to kick people out of line just for complaining about the wait and/or missing their flights.

The actual security/x-ray line moved quickly (no thanks to a French-Canadian agent who saw my passport and boarding card and decided that would be the ideal time to strike up a conversation about British and Philadelphian musical acts).

I barely made it to my gate - gate 67 (IIRC) is actually the first one after security, not the far end of the terminal as I feared based on the number - just as they were closing the doors. Gate agent did upgrade me to first class though, which was cool of him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Questions:

No baggage just carry on....issue is if we split book (and save lots of $$$) we have to, exit airside; get the second boarding, and then clear international security between 3:13 and 5:55.

Thanks,
Maurice
Seems like enough time providing your initial flight is not delayed and some yahoos are trying to travel with a bunch of illegal crap in terminal three. Toronto is not that large of an airport.

Quote | Reply
Agreed. Should be enough time, especially if baggage is just carry on.

My advice would be to check in online the night before for the second boarding and either print your boarding pass or have them on your mobile so that you can go straight to security.

It would also be to speak with airport staff if your first flight is delayed and things are getting close. Much to the the irritation of those waiting patiently in line, airport staff often push those running late to the front of the queue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only been once and had no issues.

Probably the only airport in the world to have a song written about it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LdpMpfp-J_I

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: School me on Pearson international airport (Toronto) [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Everyone!

Decided to go Kamloops-> Dublin then Aer Lingus Dublin -> Lanzarote.

A bit more time and if we lose out or some thing weird happens then its only a couple of hundred vs several thousand that we are out.

Appreciate the help,

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Domestic flights are usually just a walk through and pick up your luggage. Shouldn't be difficult although you may have to take the shuttle to a different terminal when you are flying elsewhere.

But............I absolutely fucking hate that airport. Its big, crowded and not particularly user friendly. Plus from where we live, we have to drive across Toronto to get there. We prefer to fly out of Montreal, Ottawa or Syracuse, N.Y. if we can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have to fly through Pearson at times. International is generally a nightmare and we try our best to avoid We will generally gladly pay 200 - 250 dollars more for our family of 4 to avoid Pearson. When we can't avoid, we generally try and keep a 3 hour window. Two hours is always a pain and ends up being stressful. We get stuck in lines and normally only make our connections due to agents walking through lines and pulling out those people who have flights coming up soon.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on Pearson international airport (Toronto) [TriDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDave wrote:
We have to fly through Pearson at times. International is generally a nightmare and we try our best to avoid We will generally gladly pay 200 - 250 dollars more for our family of 4 to avoid Pearson. When we can't avoid, we generally try and keep a 3 hour window. Two hours is always a pain and ends up being stressful. We get stuck in lines and normally only make our connections due to agents walking through lines and pulling out those people who have flights coming up soon.

Yikes any addition tips? I’m flying in tomorrow and out Sat through Chicago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Questions:

Thanks,
Maurice

You won't have any issues, 3h is plenty of time for YYZ.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply