Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel Sanders muscled up [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I know where you're coming from, just that those particular athletes aren't really the best way to illustrate your point. They've been lifting for so much of their careers that you can't really say what is due to weights and what is due to swimming and what is just what they would have even if they didn't exercise at all.

Going back to Lionel, I probably have more muscle mass than he does (i'm about his height and outweigh him by 45 lbs or so) and I don't lift at all. I do, unfortunately, have a lot more body fat covering it up. which is slowly coming off ;-)

Sorry but i don't have any 1970s era pictures to post. And regarding yourself, i think it's absolutely true that some guys will be pretty muscular even if they do nothing at all, and then get really big if they hits the weights hard.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders muscled up [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must have a framed photo of Mark spitz on your wall somewhere, I'm sure.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders muscled up [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You must have a framed photo of Mark Spitz on your wall somewhere, I'm sure.

Nah, that would be too gay and besides, Spitz would not be a good example as he was pretty thin.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His physique was fairly similar to Sanders', maybe not "quite" as ripped as Sanders, but overall build was similar.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnny Weissmuller ☺

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way.
If you don't, you'll find an excuse.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders muscled up [argon-18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess for endurance athletes genetics has much more to do with how muscular you are than weight training.

I don't think that Chris Solinsky or Andy Vernon do or did more weight training than Mo and they are much bigger.

Mo does a lot of heavy lifting and is as skinny as a twig.

I don't think Sanders does and weights. I've noticed something interesting myself. In the past two years I did much more endurance volume than before and I also got more muscular. Also in the upper body and I don't even swim.

ETA: I guess when I train a lot I also have to make sure that I eat enough to recover. Being on the save side calorie wise is a good idea and it gives the body the building blocks to add some muscles.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Last edited by: ToBeasy: Mar 17, 18 6:49
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders muscled up [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Solinsky did 5 strength sessions/week so def more than your average runner. But thats all a part of Schumacher's training. Sure Mo does deadlifts and squats, but no where near what Solinsky/Shalene etc do

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Last edited by: oscaro: Mar 17, 18 8:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:

I don't think Sanders does and weights. I've noticed something interesting myself. In the past two years I did much more endurance volume than before and I also got more muscular. Also in the upper body and I don't even swim.

ETA: I guess when I train a lot I also have to make sure that I eat enough to recover. Being on the save side calorie wise is a good idea and it gives the body the building blocks to add some muscles.

Not sure that's physiologically possible. Your legs getting stronger and even bigger depending on how much cycling you do does. But adding muscle to your upper body is all about progressive overload...unless you're not mentioning that you do 100 pull ups and 1000 pushups daily...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders muscled up [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is very little risk for any of these pro endurance athletes packing on heaps of muscle while they are still training high endurance related training volumes. It is actually not easy for the human body to pack on muscle, and endurance training directly inhibits protein synthesis for muscle growth.

In addition it's likely that these pro endurance athletes, the majority do lift multiple times per week, and this lifting is probably more likely the low rep, high weight type lifting focussing more on strength and not hypertrophy. Including eliminating the majority of eccentric loading during lifts (eg a concentric deadlift pull, and just dropping the bar at the the top of the lift rather than lowering slowly). The focus of the training would be more neuromuscular rather than hypertrophy. The caveat on the elimination of eccentric though would be that it is (slow eccentrics) actually very useful for tendon health and rehab, and they may actually do slow eccentrics on things like hamstring curls or stiff leg deads, to benefit those major posterior chain tendons chronically overloaded from running/riding in a TT position
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
I guess for endurance athletes genetics has much more to do with how muscular you are than weight training.

I don't think that Chris Solinsky or Andy Vernon do or did more weight training than Mo and they are much bigger.

Mo does a lot of heavy lifting and is as skinny as a twig.

Just watched Lionel’s lately video on YouTube. He mentioned this thread on slowtwitch and said that he’s hired Lou Ferigno as his weightlifting coach. The he talks about how much he’s lifting every day. But it’s clearly making fun of the question about whether he weightlifts. So I guess that settles it. No weightlifting for Lionel.
Quote Reply

Prev Next