Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone making ice cream
Quote | Reply
Just started making homemade ice cream a couple months ago. Mostly vanilla, choc, and cookies & cream.
Using heavy or whipping cream, sugar, and whatever else it calls for. Vanilla, choc. etc. I heat up sugar with part of the cream to make sure the sugar dissolves into the cream then add the rest of the cream. Directions say to do this.

The ice cream is coming out well but when I'm done eating it, I feel like there is a thin layer of something on my lips. Not sure if it's the heavy cream or the cream/sugar mix. Also seems like a thin layer of something on the bottom of the spoon when done eating.

Don't find this with store bought ice cream.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone making ice cream [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My teenage daughter makes fantastic vanilla ice cream with a very simple recipe. I'm a bit of a vanilla ice cream snob, and would rate hers a solid 7/10, compared to most in-store ice creams about a 4/10. Ditch the sugar...

Recipe:

4 cups half-and-half
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract

Directions
In large bowl, combine ingredients; mix well. Pour into ice cream maker freezer container. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

(Refrigerator-Freezer Method: Omit half-and-half. In large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and vanilla; mix well. Fold in 2 cups whipping cream. Pour into 9x5-inch loaf pan or other 2-quart container; cover. Freeze 6 hours or until firm.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make it once a semester with my physics classes using liquid nitrogen. I usually go 50-50 on whole milk and whipping cream, add sugar (mass of about 1/7 the total volume of the liquid), then add flavorings. We mix with an egg beater on a power drill, so I'm not sure if it would separate if I chilled it in a freezer. No notice of any weird fat layers though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you comparing to cheap or expensive store ice cream? We get "the expensive stuff" (Haagen Daas is relatively cheap in comparison, so think Jeni's or similar). I definitely get a slight fat layer or something compared to cheap stuff.

BTW, try making dark chocolate sorbet. First time I had it was in Italy and I swore there was cream in it. Friggin good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
The ice cream is coming out well but when I'm done eating it, I feel like there is a thin layer of something on my lips. Not sure if it's the heavy cream or the cream/sugar mix. Also seems like a thin layer of something on the bottom of the spoon when done eating.

Where did you get the heavy cream? Did you milk the cow or the bull?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone making ice cream [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I make it once a semester with my physics classes using liquid nitrogen. I usually go 50-50 on whole milk and whipping cream, add sugar (mass of about 1/7 the total volume of the liquid), then add flavorings. We mix with an egg beater on a power drill, so I'm not sure if it would separate if I chilled it in a freezer. No notice of any weird fat layers though.

Just wanted to highlight some of the awesome here

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone making ice cream [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
Are you comparing to cheap or expensive store ice cream? We get "the expensive stuff" (Haagen Daas is relatively cheap in comparison, so think Jeni's or similar). I definitely get a slight fat layer or something compared to cheap stuff.

BTW, try making dark chocolate sorbet. First time I had it was in Italy and I swore there was cream in it. Friggin good.

the original jeni's is 4 blocks from my house. it's fantastic stuff.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should experiment with egg bases for your ice cream. I thought it was ridiculous but man does it make for a smooth ice cream!! It takes a bit longer to prepare as you have to cook the egg mixture and then let it chill in the fridge a few hours but it is absolutely worth it. We made a lemon ice cream this summer that should be packaged and sold. Then our machine broke and we haven’t made any since but looking into a good machine for this summer!!

As for your question- a combo of cream and milk may help with the fatty aftertaste.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's from the heavy cream. The awesomeness of good homemade ice cream outweighs this slight "flaw". I have a great recipe for salted caramel, starts with 24 egg yolks...

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My go-to recipe: https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...41R6MfRlM7RHu0%3D%0A

Check the cream- lots of mass market stuff has stabilizers in it. Fresh from the cow where you actually pour the cream off the top...wow that makes the best ice cream!
Quote Reply