Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course not (only got 4 out of 5). I am sometimes called an elitist baby-murdering libtard, but who cares? Far too big an industry on both sides dedicated to victimhood.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Mar 12, 18 15:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
vecchia capra wrote:
This was back in 1993 at a private, for profit university, in Southern California. Today I would not be surprised if white males faced overt discrimination as a normal policy without any support from the administrators at public and private universities in some programs.

I would bet the exact same thing would happen. You are protected legally against that sort of discrimination. It would only take getting it to the level in the chain of command that understands that.

You think so? How did that work out at Boston University?

https://www.cnn.com/...ce-tweets/index.html

Online fury over Boston University professor's tweets on race

By Katia Hetter, CNN
Updated 1:54 PM ET, Wed May 13, 2015

The Boston University community is debating incoming professor Saida Grundy's tweets on race and gender.
Story highlights
  • An incoming Boston University professor's personal tweets on race are debated online
  • While some call for her firing, others stand in solidarity with her

(CNN)Fury erupted this month over incoming Boston University sociology and African-American studies professor Saida Grundy's tweets about white men, race and slavery.
College student Nick Pappas wrote about Grundy's tweets on his website SoCawlege.com a week ago with the headline "Boston University assistant professor Saida Grundy attacks whites, makes false statements on Twitter."

Controversy erupted over tweets by incoming Boston University assistant professor Saida Grundy.
Pappas, who will be a senior at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst next school year, launched the site last fall, intending it as a conservative BuzzFeed-style website.
Grundy, a sociologist who studies race, gender and class, received her doctorate last year from the University of Michigan's joint program in sociology and women's studies. She is to start work in a tenure-track position at Boston University -- the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s alma mater -- on July 1.
Her personal Twitter account has since been made private, but the Boston Globe reported some of the tweets: "why is white america so reluctant to identify white college males as a problem population?" and "every MLK week i commit myself to not spending a dime in white-owned businesses. and every year i find it nearly impossible."
"Why are young white males a singled out issue to you Ms. Grundy, as opposed to all young males?" asked the SoCawlege article. "If you are going to work at Boston University you have to teach college aged white males eventually no?"
And the Twitter fight was on.
Twitter user @ClairelyParker wrote, "Okay to be a racist professor as long as you target the "white" race @BU_Tweets #BostonUniversity #SaidaGrundy SHAME ON YOU Boston U."
Another, @PossumAndPintos, tweeted "@greywoolhat Why does Boston University employ bigots? like @saigrundy @BU_Tweets This is what bigotry looks like pic.twitter.com/EC6H61nkNn."
Her supporters also came out in force.
"I find it deplorable that #SaidaGrundy has been labeled a racist and a bigot for speaking an inconvenient truth. #ISupportSaida," tweeted @raulspeaks.
"Only in an inherently racist system can YOU be a racist for calling out racism. That's where we are. #SaidaGrundy," tweeted @sunnydaejones.
The online petition supporting Grundy has more than 2,000 signatories, while the petition demanding that she be fired has more than 200 signatories as of Wednesday morning.
A few days after the debate went into overdrive, Grundy made a statement to the Boston Globe.
"I regret that my personal passion about issues surrounding these events led me to speak about them indelicately," she said in the statement. Issues of race "are uncomfortable for all of us, and, yet, the events we now witness with regularity in our nation tell us that we can no longer circumvent the problems of difference with strategies of silence."
Boston University President Robert Brown weighed in, defending Grundy's right to express her opinions but expressing "concern and disappointment" about her tweets.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
Oh okay, according to Pew i’m a gen z!

Shit, I’ve been given so much crap my whole life by adults for being a millennial I don’t know how to feel about being a gen z!

Ah, oh well. I’m still the same person I was before this revelation (:

Millennials. In October 2004, researchers Neil Howe and William Strauss called Millennials "the next great generation," which is funny. They define the group as "as those born in 1982 and approximately the 20 years thereafter." In 2012, they affixed the end point as 2004.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:

Shit, I’ve been given so much crap my whole life by adults for being a millennial I don’t know how to feel about being a gen z!

Millennials. In October 2004, researchers Neil Howe and William Strauss called Millennials "the next great generation," which is funny. They define the group as "as those born in 1982 and approximately the 20 years thereafter." In 2012, they affixed the end point as 2004.
Dammit, so I am?! How the hell do I decide who to listen to? What am I? Who am I??
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
JSA wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:

Dammit, so I am?! How the hell do I decide who to listen to? What am I? Who am I??

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was reading yahoo and found this.

http://www.foxnews.com/...nly-two-genders.html

A religious studies major was barred from Christianity class at Indiana University of Pennsylvania for saying during class that there are only two genders.
Lake Ingle, a senior at the university, said he was silenced and punished by IUP Professor Alison Downie for questioning her during a Feb. 28 “Christianity 481: Self, Sin, and Salvation” lecture.

After showing a 15-minute TED Talk by transgender ex-pastor Paula Stone Williams discussing the “reality” of “mansplaining,” “sexism from men,” and “male privilege,” the professor asked the women in the class to share their thoughts. When no women in the class said anything, Ingle spoke up, challenging the professor on biology and the gender wage gap.

He told the class that the official view of biologists is that there are only two genders.

The feminist professor booted him from class and asked him not to come back. She referred him to the public university’s Academic Integrity Board (AIB). Ingle needs to complete the class to graduate at the end of the semester.
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Mar 12, 18 18:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:
JSA wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:

Ha, suck it world! I knew I was special!

;)
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
It's interesting how you rarely see right wing protesters shutting down progressive speakers and taking away their platforms.

Why is that?

It's true, though there's some context to those situations (some are intentionally engineered)

Though since the subject line has the word "attack" it's fair to keep in mind the the more extreme right-wing protesters are pretty lethal. Very recently, the stabbing of Blaze Bernstein (for being gay and Jewish), Charlottesville car ramming, Portland train attack, etc. The "Atomwaffen" among other extremists groups enact extreme right-wing ideology with lethal effect.

By comparison I don't believe there's a single documented fatality caused by antifa (the modern U.S.-based variety), despite the breathless coverage of antifa by the conservative media.

Both death and risk of death stifle speech.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:

Trump seems to be giving a certain segment of the population the green light to speak up about "issues" that are not issues. He is pushing segments of Right to take a page from the Team Donkey playbook and cry victim.

It's fascinating.

As he alternates these posts with vulgar jokes. Pretty tasteless, "locker room" stuff that you would think anybody would know not just to broadcast on Facebook. My mother has said he is "disgusting" as a result of these posts.

It's also interesting that in at that bottom of the post about being attacked for those things, it said something like " I'm kind, don't discriminate and just want to be treated decently."

I'm not sure who's treating him so badly. He's management at a utility company, not exactly some peon.

He also routinely refers to black people as niggers and I've heard him actually say "I would never hire a towel head" in reference to Muslims.

So he actually is guilty of some of the things people accuse "deplorables" of being yet he's playing up the victim card on social media.

Have you called him on it?

No, getting into a discussion of that sort on Facebook couldn't possibly end well.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:
I'm about as WASPy a guy as you can get, and I struggled quite a bit to get where I am today. I used to bristle at terms like "male privilege" because, after all, I'm living proof that even us white guys have to struggle to get our piece of the pie. I didn't want to hear other people complain about how it was too hard for them to make it. It was hard for me too! Suck it up, Buttercup! Don't use your gender or ethnicity as an entitlement to the stuff I worked so hard for!

Then I started paying some attention to what was actually going on around me. Sure, I struggled, but I started to see how certain others had to struggle harder than I did to get to the same place. It was because at every turn they were swimming against a slightly faster current. It wasn't (usually) overt, but I started to see that there were a million little stumbling blocks that others (mostly women and minorities) had to swerve around that I never had to. I definitely worked hard. They had to work harder.

So when I feel "attacked" for being a white guy, I remind myself that what someone is really doing (unless they're being a dick) is letting me know that maybe their struggles might be a little tougher than I might think, if I'm using my own experience as a yardstick.

Also, most people would consider me an atheist, which is synonymous with child-eater to many people, so I do get legitimately "attacked" for that at times. Fun!

I've been attacked for being white or male or hetero way more than I've ever been attacked for atheist. Not that I'm attacked all that often, it's just never for atheist. I guess it depends on the type of people you're around. I must hang out with more lefties than you. Also, attacked is a pretty strong word. I prefer the more modern "had shade thrown my way" for something.

How does the attack go for being hetero? That just doesn't make any sense to me if we are going to buy into the "people are born that way" line of reasoning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
vecchia capra wrote:
This was back in 1993 at a private, for profit university, in Southern California. Today I would not be surprised if white males faced overt discrimination as a normal policy without any support from the administrators at public and private universities in some programs.

I would bet the exact same thing would happen. You are protected legally against that sort of discrimination. It would only take getting it to the level in the chain of command that understands that.

You think so? How did that work out at Boston University?

https://www.cnn.com/...ce-tweets/index.html

Online fury over Boston University professor's tweets on race

By Katia Hetter, CNN
Updated 1:54 PM ET, Wed May 13, 2015

The Boston University community is debating incoming professor Saida Grundy's tweets on race and gender.
Story highlights
  • An incoming Boston University professor's personal tweets on race are debated online
  • While some call for her firing, others stand in solidarity with her

(CNN)Fury erupted this month over incoming Boston University sociology and African-American studies professor Saida Grundy's tweets about white men, race and slavery.
College student Nick Pappas wrote about Grundy's tweets on his website SoCawlege.com a week ago with the headline "Boston University assistant professor Saida Grundy attacks whites, makes false statements on Twitter."

Controversy erupted over tweets by incoming Boston University assistant professor Saida Grundy.
Pappas, who will be a senior at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst next school year, launched the site last fall, intending it as a conservative BuzzFeed-style website.
Grundy, a sociologist who studies race, gender and class, received her doctorate last year from the University of Michigan's joint program in sociology and women's studies. She is to start work in a tenure-track position at Boston University -- the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s alma mater -- on July 1.
Her personal Twitter account has since been made private, but the Boston Globe reported some of the tweets: "why is white america so reluctant to identify white college males as a problem population?" and "every MLK week i commit myself to not spending a dime in white-owned businesses. and every year i find it nearly impossible."
"Why are young white males a singled out issue to you Ms. Grundy, as opposed to all young males?" asked the SoCawlege article. "If you are going to work at Boston University you have to teach college aged white males eventually no?"
And the Twitter fight was on.
Twitter user @ClairelyParker wrote, "Okay to be a racist professor as long as you target the "white" race @BU_Tweets #BostonUniversity #SaidaGrundy SHAME ON YOU Boston U."
Another, @PossumAndPintos, tweeted "@greywoolhat Why does Boston University employ bigots? like @saigrundy @BU_Tweets This is what bigotry looks like pic.twitter.com/EC6H61nkNn."
Her supporters also came out in force.
"I find it deplorable that #SaidaGrundy has been labeled a racist and a bigot for speaking an inconvenient truth. #ISupportSaida," tweeted @raulspeaks.
"Only in an inherently racist system can YOU be a racist for calling out racism. That's where we are. #SaidaGrundy," tweeted @sunnydaejones.
The online petition supporting Grundy has more than 2,000 signatories, while the petition demanding that she be fired has more than 200 signatories as of Wednesday morning.
A few days after the debate went into overdrive, Grundy made a statement to the Boston Globe.
"I regret that my personal passion about issues surrounding these events led me to speak about them indelicately," she said in the statement. Issues of race "are uncomfortable for all of us, and, yet, the events we now witness with regularity in our nation tell us that we can no longer circumvent the problems of difference with strategies of silence."
Boston University President Robert Brown weighed in, defending Grundy's right to express her opinions but expressing "concern and disappointment" about her tweets.

Was there evidence she actually discriminated against students in the classroom similar to the example vechia gave?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

A religious studies major was barred from Christianity class at Indiana University of Pennsylvania for saying during class that there are only two genders.
Lake Ingle, a senior at the university, said he was silenced and punished by IUP Professor Alison Downie for questioning her during a Feb. 28 “Christianity 481: Self, Sin, and Salvation” lecture.

After showing a 15-minute TED Talk by transgender ex-pastor Paula Stone Williams discussing the “reality” of “mansplaining,” “sexism from men,” and “male privilege,” the professor asked the women in the class to share their thoughts. When no women in the class said anything, Ingle spoke up, challenging the professor on biology and the gender wage gap.

He told the class that the official view of biologists is that there are only two genders.

The feminist professor booted him from class and asked him not to come back. She referred him to the public university’s Academic Integrity Board (AIB). Ingle needs to complete the class to graduate at the end of the semester.

And so what happened?

Just because a professor does it, doesn't mean it will stand or that there aren't any legal repercussions because she may have broke the law.

That being said, I'm not sure just being misguided is a protected class, unless he claims his ignorance is religious based :) On the other hand I can't see what legal grounds she would have for kicking him out of class either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How does the attack go for being hetero?

It's not so much levied as a personal attack, but as a way to delegitimize an argument by framing the person as speaking from a place of hetero privilege and thus ignorant to or immune from how things "really are" among the oppressed.

Objective reality can not, apparently, be identified and critiqued unless you share all the necessary traits in common. It's why Intersectional Feminism spends most of its ammo in crossfire.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

And so what happened?

Just because a professor does it, doesn't mean it will stand or that there aren't any legal repercussions because she may have broke the law.

That being said, I'm not sure just being misguided is a protected class, unless he claims his ignorance is religious based :) On the other hand I can't see what legal grounds she would have for kicking him out of class either.

Apparently this is ongoing. Note the last sentence of the article. He needs to complete the class to graduate at the end of the semester. In other words, 4 years of school, ready to graduate but may not be able to because of this. That is a significant thing, don't you think?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

And so what happened?

Apparently this is ongoing. Note the last sentence of the article. He needs to complete the class to graduate at the end of the semester. In other words, 4 years of school, ready to graduate but may not be able to because of this. That is a significant thing, don't you think?

It’s very significant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
It's interesting how you rarely see right wing protesters shutting down progressive speakers and taking away their platforms.

Why is that?

Does driving their car into the progressive protesters count? Took away a lot more than a platform.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [Tatonka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tatonka wrote:
sphere wrote:

Why is that?

Does driving their car into the progressive protesters count? Took away a lot more than a platform.

Yes, that would fit squarely into the "rarely" category I described.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Why is that?

Does murdering someone in Charlottesville count?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
sphere wrote:

Why is that?

Does murdering someone in Charlottesville count?
Not gonna lie, that's a weird bump from three months ago, especially since someone said the same thing two posts above you
Quote Reply

Prev Next