Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power meter to fix pedal stroke
Quote | Reply
I broke my hip a few years ago in a bike crash and have had to have 3 surgeries over the course of the past several years.

I have done PT and massage and yoga and acupuncture and chiropractic.... It got better initially but then things headed in the other direction and only got worse.

Long story short my gait and pedal stroke are messed up.

I'm wondering if a power meter is sensitive enough to pick up on deficiencies in my pedal stroke so I could use it like biofeedback to ccorrect my problems.

"There may be men that can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontane
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter to fix pedal stroke [powerbarjunkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would get the new Garmin Vector 3. They capture all kinds of metrics. There might be something you could use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the pioneer one. With their head unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sense is that any dual-sided system would be sensitive enough to pick up on any significant differences. The question is whether, after 3 surgeries, you are really capable/should be attempting to pedal in a perfectly symmetrical manner.

Personally, after a hip fracture, two surgeries, significant loss of muscle mass in that leg, and ~2 decades of adaptation, I have chosen to accept that one leg will always be "punchier" and will contribute a bit more power, especially during sub-FTP exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about your accident and surgeries.

I don't think any current power meter on the market can identify your exact deficiency. The most they can do is tell you how much total asymmetry you have and the pattern of that asymmetry, and you probably already have a pretty good idea about that. That is, a power meter can tell you "what" and maybe "how much" but it can't tell you what your exact deficiency is or what to do about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I know enough to know It's hard for me to understand how a power meter can help you correct deficiencies or inefficiencies. I understand that it could tell you one leg is stronger than the or, or with the right data, where in the stoke you need improvement. What I done understand is how it can tell you what to do to correct the deficiency or inefficiency. MY guess is that you would need a PT (or something similar) that specializes in cycling to do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powerbarjunkie wrote:
I broke my hip a few years ago in a bike crash and have had to have 3 surgeries over the course of the past several years.

I have done PT and massage and yoga and acupuncture and chiropractic.... It got better initially but then things headed in the other direction and only got worse.

Long story short my gait and pedal stroke are messed up.

I'm wondering if a power meter is sensitive enough to pick up on deficiencies in my pedal stroke so I could use it like biofeedback to ccorrect my problems.

You could always do a lot of mountain biking with a significant lack of traction. Powercrankz is another option.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some years ago I got good results using spinscan on a computrainer to rehab a broken leg.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter to fix pedal stroke [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
My sense is that any dual-sided system would be sensitive enough to pick up on any significant differences. The question is whether, after 3 surgeries, you are really capable/should be attempting to pedal in a perfectly symmetrical manner.

Personally, after a hip fracture, two surgeries, significant loss of muscle mass in that leg, and ~2 decades of adaptation, I have chosen to accept that one leg will always be "punchier" and will contribute a bit more power, especially during sub-FTP exercise.

Interesting topic and something I have been pondering also for a long time. I have broken my left leg twice and despite 3 years since the last break the muscle mass is still noticeably less than the right.

I am now starting a fresh and trying to fix the imbalance through weight trading the left only and am very interested if a dual sided power metre could also help with maintain some balance on the bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered riding on oldschool rollers instead? The powermeter may help you quantify the magnitude of the difference, but maybe riding on rollers will make you become more even.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter to fix pedal stroke [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Have you considered riding on oldschool rollers instead? The powermeter may help you quantify the magnitude of the difference, but maybe riding on rollers will make you become more even.

Having no experience with rollers do you mind explaining how so?

With a power meter Im assuming it gives you instant readings of left versus right so you can make a conscious effort to pick up a deficient side if that happens to be the case? I definitely know my right leg over compensates for my weaker left and I have to consciously back the right off and focus on using the right..
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter to fix pedal stroke [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Having no experience with rollers do you mind explaining how so?

This an unscientific explanation. Rollers tend to reward a very smooth, symmetrical pedal stroke, and punish a harsh or imbalanced pedal stroke (e.g. "mashing")

People entirely new to rollers often have a very difficult time and have to use a hand on some object in order to stay balanced, until whatever part of their pedal stroke is throwing off the balance is "corrected."

I have no idea if this would help your deficiency at all. Some people think roller work is great for improving a pedal stroke. Others think it's mostly good at improving your ability to...ride rollers. I have no real opinion, except that it's fun.

But you might try it out on someone's rollers to see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter to fix pedal stroke [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I'm not at all sure what you mean by "punish a harsh or imbalanced pedal stroke." I ride rollers, and I have an uneven pedal stroke -- I've had two injuries to my right foot/ankle that have affected range of motion and stability. I can hear a definite difference in the sound of the rollers that corresponds to my right and left downstrokes.

I ignore the asymmetry and just ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter to fix pedal stroke [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
I'm not at all sure what you mean by "punish a harsh or imbalanced pedal stroke." I ride rollers, and I have an uneven pedal stroke -- I've had two injuries to my right foot/ankle that have affected range of motion and stability. I can hear a definite difference in the sound of the rollers that corresponds to my right and left downstrokes.

Like I said I don't really know, and the only thing I'm sure of is that rollers can be fun. But people who first ride rollers do thinks like bounce up and down wildly or swing back and forth laterally wildly. Some of that is likely just simple steering over-correction due to the different balancing dynamics of road vs. roller. But some of it is possibly due to the pedal stroke. I think. I'm not sure, that's just my impression. Particularly when doing super high cadence, etc.

I could be wrong because people can smoothly do single-leg drills on rollers too. An exaggeration of your issue. (though single leg rollers takes practice)

I could be completely wrong, it's just there are experienced tracking cycling people who swear that it improves the pedal stroke. And others who swear it improves nothing but the ability to ride rollers.

On the other hand, maybe your sound cue could be helpful. Eliminate the sound! (for issues that are fixable, and not possibly permanent issues like it sounds like yours may be).

While I have your expertise online, in your knowledge/practice, is cadence trainable? (for tracking cycling purposes where I have to pick a gearing, and increasing effective cadence range can be a competitive advantage).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
RChung wrote:

Like I said I don't really know, and the only thing I'm sure of is that rollers can be fun. But people who first ride rollers do thinks like bounce up and down wildly or swing back and forth laterally wildly. Some of that is likely just simple steering over-correction due to the different balancing dynamics of road vs. roller. But some of it is possibly due to the pedal stroke. I think. I'm not sure, that's just my impression. Particularly when doing super high cadence, etc.

I could be wrong because people can smoothly do single-leg drills on rollers too. An exaggeration of your issue. (though single leg rollers takes practice)

I could be completely wrong, it's just there are experienced tracking cycling people who swear that it improves the pedal stroke. And others who swear it improves nothing but the ability to ride rollers.

On the other hand, maybe your sound cue could be helpful. Eliminate the sound! (for issues that are fixable, and not possibly permanent issues like it sounds like yours may be).

While I have your expertise online, in your knowledge/practice, is cadence trainable? (for tracking cycling purposes where I have to pick a gearing, and increasing effective cadence range can be a competitive advantage).
Having a well fitted bicycle and riding a lot (in particular when under pressure like in races) does wonders for your pedalling.

The rest is mostly speculation.

As for experienced trackies - track racing is what helps them. Rollers are mostly a warm up/cool down device, not a pedalling drill. Yeah sure you see the odd guy go nuts and pedal at a million rpm for a handful of seconds on the rollers. Meh, so what? It's doing that with actual load that matters.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
is cadence trainable? (for tracking cycling purposes where I have to pick a gearing, and increasing effective cadence range can be a competitive advantage).

I think cadence can be trainable in the sense that you're trying to improve force application over a wider range of cadence. I don't think it's particularly useful in isolation (for example, I don't think training to raise your cadence by 5% is very valuable if it means that your force application at the new cadence decreases by 5%).
Quote Reply